The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

10 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

CIBC. I'm sure they're all the same in that regard

I think they only require a Canadian Securities certificate to work in that position. 

Most of the the ones I’ve dealt with are not the smartest and the turnover in those positions seems high. However, I got lucky finally and found a recent CPA grad who has been great and I can communicate to him via email which is easier. 

Usually you don’t get top tier service unless you’re a Wood Gundy client with CIBC.

1 minute ago, HI5 said:

I think they only require a Canadian Securities certificate to work in that position. 

Most of the the ones I’ve dealt with are not the smartest and the turnover in those positions seems high. However, I got lucky finally and found a recent CPA grad who has been great and I can communicate to him via email which is easier. 

Usually you don’t get top tier service unless you’re a Wood Gundy client with CIBC.

I've heard the same thing from others. "My last FA was quite useless." We were talking about this at work. Apparently this exact scenario is explained in Wolf of Wall Street -- you're basically a nobody and the guys there are just there to collect a commission, which is fine, but they don't really care about your portfolio growth because the bank has so many customers. The guy in Toronto managing your money doesn't talk to you, doesn't know your name, doesn't know who you are, and there's no accountability if your portfolio stagnates. Plus this is a difficult subject most people have no real education in so it's easy to be misled or not know what to do next. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

CIBC. I'm sure they're all the same in that regard

CIBC is the bank I am moving away to move away from. They also tried selling me their own products and wouldn't really listen to my goals. It's a good thing I did a little research or else they'd have me convinced that a good growth portfolio could only realistically expect a 4-5% annual return, on a good year.

Regardless, I've chosen to take control with a self-directed RRSP and TSF. Thats why I'm leaning towards the TD online brokerage, because its seems very easy to use, there is tons of education, as well as, online from advisors when needed. 

If anyone knows of a better option, please chime in. Advise is always welcome 

22 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I've heard the same thing from others. "My last FA was quite useless." We were talking about this at work. Apparently this exact scenario is explained in Wolf of Wall Street -- you're basically a nobody and the guys there are just there to collect a commission, which is fine, but they don't really care about your portfolio growth because the bank has so many customers. The guy in Toronto managing your money doesn't talk to you, doesn't know your name, doesn't know who you are, and there's no accountability if your portfolio stagnates. Plus this is a difficult subject most people have no real education in so it's easy to be misled or not know what to do next. 

Bingo, nailed it.

I can attest most FA's are as dumb as the day they were born. They just follow the herd and push whatever internal products pay the most commission.

Think about it like this. Most FA's are young and have little experience in markets. The last 10 years financial markets haven't exactly been moving on their own accord. They have been dragged around by Central Banks and endless rounds of financial engineering. If they hadn't we'd still be mired in recession.

If your FA has less than ten years experience, they have never witnessed real market conditions. You want your FA to have a verifiable track record and hopefully some grey hair.

A decent hedge fund will charge "2 and 20". That's a 2% management fee and 20% of the profits. You make money, they make money.

An FA who gets commission has an incentive to churn your account (to make more commish) with no regard for your results.

The financial industry is full of both sharks and dumbasses. It's on you to do a bit of research and avoid them.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Canorth said:

CIBC is the bank I am moving away to move away from. They also tried selling me their own products and wouldn't really listen to my goals. It's a good thing I did a little research or else they'd have me convinced that a good growth portfolio could only realistically expect a 4-5% annual return, on a good year.

Regardless, I've chosen to take control with a self-directed RRSP and TSF. Thats why I'm leaning towards the TD online brokerage, because its seems very easy to use, there is tons of education, as well as, online from advisors when needed. 

I don't use them but it sounds like Questrade might be good for you.

You can keep both your RRSP and TFSA there. Way better commissions than at TD.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Canorth said:

I just stayed with CIBC, but use the self directed option with them for my TFSA. 

$6.95 a trade, pretty sure you can find better rates if you dig around. 

• Upvote 1

My bank guy told me flat out that order to qualify for a more well managed account, you need to have a least 250k or beyond in your rrsps... Lucky for me since self directing 2 years ago that's not an issue. Now the bank is begging for to take control of my rrsps... I told them to cool those jets and I'll let them know when I dont feel like doing it anymore. Thank you pot stocks... Also same bank told me 2 years ago not to invest in pot stocks. Yes they are volatile AF but buying Canopy at 2.65 has been the best thing I ever did. 

• Upvote 3

On 5/8/2018 at 7:10 PM, Canorth said:

I use TD Waterhouse. The online platform is great, second only to Questrade that I've seen. I'm young, and a new investor, so it just felt more "safe" to me to use the broker of the bank I'm with, than a 3rd party website. TD's online system is really great for research, advice, etc. You can sign up for push notifications for certain alerts you may be waiting for, etc. It's $9.99 a trade.

• Thanks 1

Debating getting out of Aurora. But I'm so on the fence. They're starting to become a boom or bust company with all their moves, such as their most recent move of buying medreleaf for 3.2 billion dollars.

They're setting up to be the largest marijuana company in the world, but they could also be the first bankrupt marijuana company in the world. None of my research is convincing me either way lol. Meanwhile my original in on Aphria continues to rake in $$. 

Opinions?

On 5/14/2018 at 12:39 PM, NucksPatsFan said:

Debating getting out of Aurora. But I'm so on the fence. They're starting to become a boom or bust company with all their moves, such as their most recent move of buying medreleaf for 3.2 billion dollars.

They're setting up to be the largest marijuana company in the world, but they could also be the first bankrupt marijuana company in the world. None of my research is convincing me either way lol. Meanwhile my original in on Aphria continues to rake in $$. 

Opinions?

I sold my shares of ACB on Monday when they announced the LEAF deal... Ive never been a fan of them but have held shares to make quick profits. This last bunch of dilution is gonna take a while to recover from.. 

The next level of support is at 6.75, if it drops below that then lookout below. The timing of this latest dilution is also terrible.... Other companies are making nice gains right now, APH and WEED, so not only are you losing percentages with ACB, your missing out on more gains with the other two if you just added more shares to them. I was more than happy to sell my 5k shares of ACB on Monday for 8.05 and add another 1.5k shares of WEED.  If you do want to get out of ACB they are getting very oversold, RSI almost in the teens, could be an oversold bounce on Friday morning with an opportunity to get out when it runs up a bit... Might run back to $8 but doubt much higher.  GL bud, hopefully you've already made some sick gains. 

12 hours ago, Vanisleryan said:

I sold my shares of ACB on Monday when they announced the LEAF deal... Ive never been a fan of them but have held shares to make quick profits. This last bunch of dilution is gonna take a while to recover from.. 

The next level of support is at 6.75, if it drops below that then lookout below. The timing of this latest dilution is also terrible.... Other companies are making nice gains right now, APH and WEED, so not only are you losing percentages with ACB, your missing out on more gains with the other two if you just added more shares to them. I was more than happy to sell my 5k shares of ACB on Monday for 8.05 and add another 1.5k shares of WEED.  If you do want to get out of ACB they are getting very oversold, RSI almost in the teens, could be an oversold bounce on Friday morning with an opportunity to get out when it runs up a bit... Might run back to $8 but doubt much higher.  GL bud, hopefully you've already made some sick gains. 

The marijuana industry has been really good to me, having gotten in both ACB and APH when they were under $4 each. 

I do believe in Aurora, and I do think they will one day be the powerhouse they are trying to be - I Just don't know if I want to wait and risk them trying yet another merger and bite off more than they can chew and go bankrupt.

23 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

The marijuana industry has been really good to me, having gotten in both ACB and APH when they were under $4 each. 

I do believe in Aurora, and I do think they will one day be the powerhouse they are trying to be - I Just don't know if I want to wait and risk them trying yet another merger and bite off more than they can chew and go bankrupt.

Yeah that's what scares me too... They will be close to a billion shares once the buy out LEAF. 

Ive been in and out of ACB since they were under 50 cents. I was initially attracted to them because of there geographic location and abundance of resource available and no provincial tax.... But they are definitely doing it Alberta style, go big or go home. 

APH has long been one of my favorites, alot to do with Vic Neufeld. Got in APH at 1.45 originally... Got out in the 20s and just bought back in at 10 a couple weeks ago. 

WEED is a monster now, about to list on the NYSE by the end of the month, I originally got into them at 2.65, been in and out several times. I think they will be over 40 by end of next week... Americans will gobble that stock up like crazy. It got pumped hard on Jim Cramers Mad Money yesterday.... 

With all that being said, I plan on selling everything before the June 7th vote. I expect a sell on news event. 

40 minutes ago, Vanisleryan said:

Yeah that's what scares me too... They will be close to a billion shares once the buy out LEAF. 

Ive been in and out of ACB since they were under 50 cents. I was initially attracted to them because of there geographic location and abundance of resource available and no provincial tax.... But they are definitely doing it Alberta style, go big or go home. 

APH has long been one of my favorites, alot to do with Vic Neufeld. Got in APH at 1.45 originally... Got out in the 20s and just bought back in at 10 a couple weeks ago. 

WEED is a monster now, about to list on the NYSE by the end of the month, I originally got into them at 2.65, been in and out several times. I think they will be over 40 by end of next week... Americans will gobble that stock up like crazy. It got pumped hard on Jim Cramers Mad Money yesterday.... 

With all that being said, I plan on selling everything before the June 7th vote. I expect a sell on news event. 

Wow, you're profit margins are insane haha. Wish I had gotten into investing earlier than I did, but still glad I got in at the beginning of last year than this year. I think I might wait until $10 (might be waiting a while .. lol) to sell off ACB, but I'll old my APH shares. 

I've always wanted to get into WEED, but never pulled the trigger. What's your thoughts on getting in it now? 

2 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Wow, you're profit margins are insane haha. Wish I had gotten into investing earlier than I did, but still glad I got in at the beginning of last year than this year. I think I might wait until $10 (might be waiting a while .. lol) to sell off ACB, but I'll old my APH shares. 

I've always wanted to get into WEED, but never pulled the trigger. What's your thoughts on getting in it now? 

I definitely think its going up more in the short term, but over the summer I think cheaper prices can be had... So hard to say with the NYSE listing, its a pretty big deal. First ever MJ company on the NYSE. Today was an awesome day for WEED... Good day for ACB too. 

CIBC has to be THE worst bank to deal with, both on the credit side and the investment side.  RBC isn't far behind.  I use TD for all of my online banking as well as for all of my investment accounts, including my self-directed RRSP.  If I walk into a bank the advisers all look like they just graduated from UBC three hours ago, so I wouldn't try and get advice from any one of them.  Better to do all of your research online instead.

• Upvote 2

On 5/18/2018 at 11:06 AM, NucksPatsFan said:

According to charts, the key resistance for ACB is 8.31, if it can get over that it will run a bit. If it fails to get over that, its just a lower high and it will continue to consolidate. Check out The Chart Guys on YouTube for awesome MJ analysis. 

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2018 at 4:29 PM, Vanisleryan said:

WEED on a hell of a run right now, up over $6 in two trading days. NYSE listing imminent. 

iqiyi inc too. Just came on the market. The Chinese Netflix apparently. My guy bought several dozen shares. Up several hundred dollars overall in days with them alone.