The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

2 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Tomorrow I lock it in officially. I still dunno. It's that whole "grow your money while you sleep thing" which is attractive - it grows for you and you get the tax credit, and I have a whole bunch in my tfsa, but at the same time if I can't really use it in a society that is only growing more expensive then it's obviously not going to help me any time soon. Plus, I don't really like the bank having that kind of control over my money saying when I can or cannot use it which is why I would probably never do a car loan - the thought of that when I seriously considered it almost killed me stress wise.  A few people keep telling me to do but they're also thirty years older than me and grew up in society where it wasn't so damn expensive to do just about anything... 

Don't put so much in your RRSP that you're somewhat screwed for the present and short term. You work hard for  your money. Always plan for the future but also learn to enjoy your hard work from time to time. Locking the majority of your money away in an RRSP that you can't touch until you're 65 is useless if you log off CDC, step outside and get hit by a bus.

My general rule is have enough liquid to pay 3 month's mortgage, 3 month's car payment, and $300 a month x 3 months for entertainment/social. Everything else is invested. 

That's what works for me, and is an option for me having lived at home throughout my undergrad and moving out after, instead of moving out during my undergrad. Depending on your financial situation, adjust. Might be 1 month's worth of funds, might be 2. Maybe you can afford 6 months and invest everything else. Point being - have enough liquid that you don't stress and can enjoy your life socially.

• Upvote 1

On 13/02/2018 at 10:10 AM, NucksPatsFan said:

Don't put so much in your RRSP that you're somewhat screwed for the present and short term. You work hard for  your money. Always plan for the future but also learn to enjoy your hard work from time to time. Locking the majority of your money away in an RRSP that you can't touch until you're 65 is useless if you log off CDC, step outside and get hit by a bus.

My general rule is have enough liquid to pay 3 month's mortgage, 3 month's car payment, and $300 a month x 3 months for entertainment/social. Everything else is invested. 

That's what works for me, and is an option for me having lived at home throughout my undergrad and moving out after, instead of moving out during my undergrad. Depending on your financial situation, adjust. Might be 1 month's worth of funds, might be 2. Maybe you can afford 6 months and invest everything else. Point being - have enough liquid that you don't stress and can enjoy your life socially.

I think I am getting some bad information. I was told an RRSP could be converted to RRIF at the time of retirement, not necessarily at 65 (ie. Early retirement). However, it must be converted to income by 71?

3 hours ago, Canorth said:

I think I am getting some bad information. I was told an RRSP could be converted to RRIF at the time of retirement, not necessarily at 65 (ie. Early retirement). However, it must be converted to income by 71?

I believe you're correct in that it can become an RRIF at the time you declare retirement -  I just used 65 as the generic example.

• Thanks 1

On 2/8/2018 at 6:06 PM, Vanisleryan said:

Yeah me too... Im all cash right now waiting.. Sold everything yesterday morning after that gift of a gap up.... Ill take some WEED around 20 and APH around 13 please and thank you. 

He Vanisleryan I was curious how you come up with your target numbers? I'm looking for another entry point on ACB

• Upvote 1

ACB Im not a fan of but I can see it going back to low 8s maybe even 7s. These are just rough estimates based on the share price previous to the euphoric rise they had in December... They went up to fast. These stocks have been a day traders wet dream, Im not one but I am intrigued by the process and enjoy watching and learning. I was at my bank on Friday and got to talking with one of the financial guys and he told me that over the holidays everyone and their grandma was coming in asking about pot stocks. In the later weeks he got alot of calls back because of people losing 30 to 50 percent after the pull back from the highs. People seem to think these stocks will just go straight up, that sort of trajectory is not healthy for a stock. Pull back and consolidation is. Key things to remember: People are buying these stocks based on future projections, but this is tricky because it really is a new sector. We can use some examples from Southern States but Canada seems to be content on using a controlled model similar if not pretty much the same as liquor. They will control distribution and pretty much dictate the price. Margins arent going to be as high as some people think. Also pay attention to the market cap, some are getting out of hand. ACB at $20 puts them around a 10B dollar market cap on a company thats hardly turned a profit yet. Fear of Missing Out will continue to drive this sector but it works both ways so when it drops, it drops hard and fast. Look at the charts and you'll see what Im talking about. Make your decisions based on rationale and not emotion, there will be plenty of time to buy into these companies. I highly recommend watching The Chart Guys on YouTube, they do a segment on MJ. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Vanisleryan said:

ACB Im not a fan of but I can see it going back to low 8s maybe even 7s. These are just rough estimates based on the share price previous to the euphoric rise they had in December... They went up to fast. These stocks have been a day traders wet dream, Im not one but I am intrigued by the process and enjoy watching and learning. I was at my bank on Friday and got to talking with one of the financial guys and he told me that over the holidays everyone and their grandma was coming in asking about pot stocks. In the later weeks he got alot of calls back because of people losing 30 to 50 percent after the pull back from the highs. People seem to think these stocks will just go straight up, that sort of trajectory is not healthy for a stock. Pull back and consolidation is. Key things to remember: People are buying these stocks based on future projections, but this is tricky because it really is a new sector. We can use some examples from Southern States but Canada seems to be content on using a controlled model similar if not pretty much the same as liquor. They will control distribution and pretty much dictate the price. Margins arent going to be as high as some people think. Also pay attention to the market cap, some are getting out of hand. ACB at $20 puts them around a 10B dollar market cap on a company thats hardly turned a profit yet. Fear of Missing Out will continue to drive this sector but it works both ways so when it drops, it drops hard and fast. Look at the charts and you'll see what Im talking about. Make your decisions based on rationale and not emotion, there will be plenty of time to buy into these companies. I highly recommend watching The Chart Guys on YouTube, they do a segment on MJ. 

What I like about ACB is they already have roots in Germany and other Euro countries. I am young so I have plenty of time to ride the waves and I am mostly in for the capital gains at this point so the cheaper stocks are more appealing to me. I like CBW as well; they have a good set up to (hopefully) hold the the most product once things start rolling. Thanks for your input.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Vanisleryan said:

Grandma's buying stocks at a peak have no one to blame but themselves. ACB has made me tons of money and never have I bought on the upswing. It's like when grams used to say "if all your friends jumped off a bridge would you?".. They should apply the same logic to all their friends buying a certain stock. 

23 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Grandma's buying stocks at a peak have no one to blame but themselves. ACB has made me tons of money and never have I bought on the upswing. It's like when grams used to say "if all your friends jumped off a bridge would you?".. They should apply the same logic to all their friends buying a certain stock. 

Oh I agree, never make a financial decision based on what others are doing or even telling you. Always do your own due diligence. 2 years ago when I started investing in pot stocks, my bank said it was a bad idea. I disagreed and since then Im up about 1100%. Right now ots ironic because when my family or friends ask me whether or not to invest I simply tell them thats its extremely volatile and there is just as much risk to the downside as up. I tell them to do there own research and only invest what they can afford to lose. ACB has also made me tons as well. First bought it at 47 cents, my only distaste for ACB is there dilution is out of hand. ATM though Im quite happy sitting on cash, I think buying opportunities will be great in the next few months. 

30 minutes ago, Vanisleryan said:

Oh I agree, never make a financial decision based on what others are doing or even telling you. Always do your own due diligence. 2 years ago when I started investing in pot stocks, my bank said it was a bad idea. I disagreed and since then Im up about 1100%. Right now ots ironic because when my family or friends ask me whether or not to invest I simply tell them thats its extremely volatile and there is just as much risk to the downside as up. I tell them to do there own research and only invest what they can afford to lose. ACB has also made me tons as well. First bought it at 47 cents, my only distaste for ACB is there dilution is out of hand. ATM though Im quite happy sitting on cash, I think buying opportunities will be great in the next few months. 

From my understanding ACB have implemented quite an aggressive expansion strategy with facilities in EDM (Aurora Sky) and in Quebec (forget the name). The pending CMED take over and EU roots should serve it well once the kinks get sorted out re legalization in the summer and in the years to come when Europe inevitably follows suit. But these moves have contributed to their current dilution.  I agree that it is heavily diluted but that should iron itself out once the wheels get rolling. But like you said, that is the gamble and it is volatile. I'm hoping for another buying opportunity around the $8 mark for ACB and $6 for MJN (Cronos).

I think the risk is trying for the shorts. The potential in the MJ sector is huge but it will go through ups and downs until it gets established. I plan on holding for at least 3-5 years then re-evaluating when it is time to look at buying a home etc.

Another interesting wild card is the potential for more established (tobacco) companies to swoop into the market place.

Edited by I.Am.Ironman

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

From my understanding ACB have implemented quite an aggressive expansion strategy with facilities in EDM (Aurora Sky) and in Quebec (forget the name). The pending CMED take over and EU roots should serve it well once the kinks get sorted out re legalization in the summer and in the years to come when Europe inevitably follows suit. But these moves have contributed to their current dilution.  I agree that it is heavily diluted but that should iron itself out once the wheels get rolling. But like you said, that is the gamble and it is volatile. I'm hoping for another buying opportunity around the $8 mark for ACB and $6 for MJN (Cronos).

I think the risk is trying for the shorts. The potential in the MJ sector is huge but it will go through ups and downs until it gets established. I plan on holding for at least 3-5 years then re-evaluating when it is time to look at buying a home etc.

Another interesting wild card is the potential for more established (tobacco) companies to swoop into the market place.

MJN is a good company for sure, I also like APH, EMH and WEED. Once I began holding long term, those three will be my key holdings in MJ. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for suggestions for industries you guys/gals think have potential to grow. 

I'm diversified throughout cannabis, forestry, ETFs and holding companies. But I'm holding some cash, and don't want to just keep pumping it into cannabis or into my ETF as I want to 'gamble' it (it's a small amount, under 1k) on an industry I'm not in.

I'm not saying I'm going to blindly follow your suggestions, I like to do a lot of my own research, but just looking for opinions on industries. I know gold is quite volatile, but that long term it's value should always go up, no? 

2 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Looking for suggestions for industries you guys/gals think have potential to grow. 

I'm diversified throughout cannabis, forestry, ETFs and holding companies. But I'm holding some cash, and don't want to just keep pumping it into cannabis or into my ETF as I want to 'gamble' it (it's a small amount, under 1k) on an industry I'm not in.

I'm not saying I'm going to blindly follow your suggestions, I like to do a lot of my own research, but just looking for opinions on industries. I know gold is quite volatile, but that long term it's value should always go up, no? 

Nano One Materials (NNO) has treated me well. Although I would probably look for a cheaper entry point than it is now. It is a research and development company committed to making the process of developing renewable batteries cheaper and more efficient.

19 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Nano One Materials (NNO) has treated me well. Although I would probably look for a cheaper entry point than it is now. It is a research and development company committed to making the process of developing renewable batteries cheaper and more efficient.

Do you feel they've peaked right now in the current cycle? Looking at their 3 month and 12 month charts, looks like their share price significantly increased from their previous 'norm' , so I don't want to buy in high right now, if it is indeed a high.

2 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Do you feel they've peaked right now in the current cycle? Looking at their 3 month and 12 month charts, looks like their share price significantly increased from their previous 'norm' , so I don't want to buy in high right now, if it is indeed a high.

In recent months they have flirted with 2.50 a few times then have fallen to 1.90-2 range then back up again. NNO has shown resistance at the high 1's a couple of times to go up to low-mid 2's. I don't have the chart in front of me just going off of memory. Personally, I'd wait to see if it drops below 2 again. in 2018 it has shown resistance to 2.50ish on the high end and 1.90ish on the low end

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

In recent months they have flirted with 2.50 a few times then have fallen to 1.90-2 range then back up again. NNO has shown resistance at the high 1's a couple of times to go up to low-mid 2's. I don't have the chart in front of me just going off of memory. Personally, I'd wait to see if it drops below 2 again. in 2018 it has shown resistance to 2.50ish on the high end and 1.90ish on the low end

It's at 2.06 right now. Maybe I'll see if it hits 1.95. I like the company's potential, especially when they're offering multi billion dollar industries a cheaper way to do their production.

After selling off my marijuana stocks near the end of last year, I've invested pretty heavily into cryptocurrency mining firms (BLOK, HIVE, DASH). Although they haven't done too well with the dip in the cryptocurrency price, I suspect the stocks will pick up as those prices do as well. Now may well be a good time to pick them up while they're cheap.

On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 7:15 PM, AK_19 said:

After selling off my marijuana stocks near the end of last year, I've invested pretty heavily into cryptocurrency mining firms (BLOK, HIVE, DASH). Although they haven't done too well with the dip in the cryptocurrency price, I suspect the stocks will pick up as those prices do as well. Now may well be a good time to pick them up while they're cheap.

I put in an order for DASH at .38/share - ask was .39  , Ill be happy if taken.