The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What do we have in 29 yo Edler?

JibberishJones

This is purely speculative, but I am curious what people would think of trading Edler at this year's deadline or draft. The name of the game here is asset management.

Given our current lack of blueline depth, this is a hard concept to mull over logistically - BUT - we have a depreciating asset in Alex Edler and our window of options is closing quickly.

My beef with Edler is mirrored by most of this fanbase: he is lethargic with and without the puck, he won't shoot and when he does it never makes it to the net (usually hits the first guy), he is a living slow motion replay, and he is not the kind of player I want leading by example with all of our wide-eyed youth.

We are at a critical time of this rebuild with certain aspects ahead of schedule, and a lot of decisions to make (this year's trade deadline), and Edler is one of a few older assets that should garner a nice return (big, top-four dmen always do) and this window is closing, is now the time?

An extra high pick or two, maybe a prospect, would be welcomed additions to this group. Plus, he could be 'replaced' in the FA market (Goligoski, Campbell, Seabrook, E.Johnson) -- or via a drool-worthy RFA list.

This is not a thread to discuss his value vs. what we could get, or how losing a body on the blueline is a terrible idea (you could trade for a younger Dman...) -- this is a thread to discuss if now is a good time to trade Edler, or if trading him is just a terrible idea all together (don't be near-sighted). 

To be my own devil's advocate: Ownership etc. might bring push back on this due to their need and obsession for making the playoffs... hmm...

Thoughts on the potential on an Edler trade?

6 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

To the people saying "trade him" I hope you aren't the same people who start freaking out when we lose.  It's not Edler's fault he is our go to guy on the blue line,  If we take him out I hope you guys know that Bartowski and Sbisa's minutes will go up...yep that's how it works.  

Does it really matter if we think it is a good idea to move him or not? This team wants to make the playoffs, if we get rid of Edler I can tell you right now there will be no playoffs.  

No, it doesn't "really matter," but then again nothing that gets discussed in these boards 'really matters' -- it's speculative fun.

I think everyone understands the consequences of trading him, but these consequences - in a rebuild - are outweighed by the return. 

And the return, FYI, would be a player/prospect + the departure of Edler, which I believe would be great for this team in the long-run, disagree?

Elder gets dumped on by fans. It's a big money investment to replace him, and his contract is hard to unload. It's not like he's a Webber or Bartowski. Edler Plays more minutes than any othe Canuck against the top lines and leagues best players. He is only second to  Tanev in reliability . $5 mil / year is not bad for what he does.

18 minutes ago, JibberishJones said:

NTC is irrelevant at this point. I also haven't heard anything in regards to his thoughts on waiving his NTC - any sources or just talking?

I don't think it's irrelevant. The point of a NTC is to protect the player in the event that the team wants to trade him. It gives the player leverage in such situations.

I don't think Benning will trade Exler this year, even if He waived. As many have pointed out before, our Defense pool is not very deep right now. No need to remove a Defenceman who plays heavy minutes, unless we're trading for a replacement.

3 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Elder gets dumped on by fans. It's a big money investment to replace him, and his contract is hard to unload. It's not like he's a Webber or Bartowski. Edler Plays more minutes than any othe Canuck against the top lines and leagues best players. He is only second to  Tanev in reliability . $5 mil / year is not bad for what he does.

But as an exercise in asset management...by the time our youth are ready to compete, Edler will be seriously on the downside and of no value.  Moving him now could land some significant assets that would be hitting their prime along with our kids.  The window to move him is closing to where the only option for him and the team will be to hang onto him until he retires.

2 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Disagree.  I love the idea of the return we could get for Edler but what I don't love is how terrible our defence would be for the next few years.  I like staying competitive and I also like being able to get the puck out of our zone so that our young players can learn to play some offense.  Look at the Oilers, last place AGAIN, loaded with talent up front but can't keep the puck out of there own zone.  

Hamhuis can go, Edler should stay.  

That is my only fear as well, do you not think those aspects  of his game could be replaced thru FA market? God forbid we lose his deadly drop pass...

3 minutes ago, Canucks Prophet said:

I don't think it's irrelevant. The point of a NTC is to protect the player in the event that the team wants to trade him. It gives the player leverage in such situations.

I don't think Benning will trade Exler this year, even if He waived. As many have pointed out before, our Defense pool is not very deep right now. No need to remove a Defenceman who plays heavy minutes, unless we're trading for a replacement.

I'm very aware of the purpose of an NTC, but we are seeing these NTC/NMCs being waived all the time as the league gets older. Teams don't want players who don't want to play for them, this relationship works both ways. 

The only way this team moves Edler is if they get a young, NHL ready blueliner with comparable potential in return.  Unless the principle can be plugged straight into the lineup without setting this team back a few years, I don't see anything happening.  Nor do I think Edler is anywhere near the top of the list of assets likely to be moved.

Just now, The 5th Line said:

This.  Raw draft picks could hurt us just as much as they could help.

Are you talking about his neutral zone drop passes on the powerplay?  That is a designed play from the coach, it's not like it's just something he does all the time by habit.  

Free agents yeah sure but we can't just move Edler now and hope we can sign a certain UFA in the summer.

Agreed, a move/return would have to be aligned with the current rebuild - this should go without saying boys... I agree it is hard to trade something with hopes of signing a replacement, great point. 

And yes, I am talking about the neutral zone drop passes on the powerplay - this is a designed play from a coach the Canucks no longer employ. Newell Brown designed that play almost 6 years ago and it worked swimmingly for about 3 years - since then the team has moved on from the play because it became insanely predictable. 

Everyone in the building knows Edler is going to drop the puck in the neutral zone when skating up-ice on the powerplay, literally every single person who is paying attentions knows this is a constant. This play is a joke, hence my joke regarding the play, glad we are on the same page.  

6 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Are you talking about his neutral zone drop passes on the powerplay?  That is a designed play from the coach, it's not like it's just something he does all the time by habit.  

Yes, that half the team in the NHL now employ, ironically.  It is quite an effective entry.

16 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

But as an exercise in asset management...by the time our youth are ready to compete, Edler will be seriously on the downside and of no value.  Moving him now could land some significant assets that would be hitting their prime along with our kids.  The window to move him is closing to where the only option for him and the team will be to hang onto him until he retires.

THANK YOU, someone who is making sense, finally. 

Archived