The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Out with the old in with the youth.

How will the dealing look this year? 

With the Canucks close to the cap and other teams in the same boat it may be difficult to get rid of the old and bring in the youth.

I understand that people may want to trade Prust, Burrows, Verbata and others but this may not be possible. I feel this year will be the same as any other year: minor trade to even the books. 

I hope I am wrong and we make a responsible splash ( or a smooth dive) however you want to see it...anyways, I hope that we make trades that support the future of our franchise.

I feel a shinkaruk move may be possible for a defence man who is of a similar level.

Vrbata and Hamhuis probably stay for a playoff push. It'll take a big offer for Benning to risk coming under fire by Aquilini. Prust is gone though I'm sure. After all these reports today, they may even Higgins him and send him to Utica. One of Weber or Bartkowski will NEED to be moved before Hamhuis returns, Willie has already gone on record saying Biega isn't losing his spot in the lineup. So probably nothing huge. But when free agency opens, we're going to be very active

Wtf is up with everyone wanting to trade Shinkaruk? 

You do understand we will get burned. Shinkaruk will be an NHL all-star. The only reason he isn't here is because Vrbata is. When Vrbata gets moved, he will slot into our top 6 right away. Unlike McCann and Virtanen, Shinkaruk has been developing in a top 6 role and producing at a PPG. He's only 21. Don't write him off yet.

48 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

Vrbata and Hamhuis probably stay for a playoff push. It'll take a big offer for Benning to risk coming under fire by Aquilini. Prust is gone though I'm sure. After all these reports today, they may even Higgins him and send him to Utica. One of Weber or Bartkowski will NEED to be moved before Hamhuis returns, Willie has already gone on record saying Biega isn't losing his spot in the lineup. So probably nothing huge. But when free agency opens, we're going to be very active

Not sure if serious....?

On 1/21/2016 at 10:26 PM, RRypien37 said:

Not sure if serious....?

We're not solid playoff contenders, but the Canucks have made it clear that they want to make the playoffs this year. That said, I still think Vrby should go at the TDL.

Just now, ajhockey said:

We're not solid playoff contenders, but the Canucks have made it clear that they want to make the playoffs this year. That said, I still thing Vrby should go at the TDL.

Not going to happen. Anything but trading away all the vets at the TDL would ridiculous. 

Just now, RRypien37 said:

Not going to happen. Anything but trading away all the vets at the TDL would ridiculous. 

Maybe, maybe not. But Hank's decision to play while injured for so long strongly implies that the team wants to push for the playoffs. Otherwise, there'd be no reason for him to play so long while on the mend.

4 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

I agree that we SHOULD get what we can for guys we're likely going to let walk anyways. But if Aquilini wants playoff revenue, it's probably safer to keep Vrbata in that situation as far as Benning is concerned. He's still gotta make his boss happy. I hope we deal every expiring contract that isn't named Baertschi, Etem, or Biega. Maybe keep Vey for depth. But dump the rest for whatever we can get. Definitely the best choice for the team long term. It comes down to how comfortable Benning is with chancing the remainder of the season with Virtanen or Dorsett as a full time top 6.

47 minutes ago, Johnny Torts said:

Wtf is up with everyone wanting to trade Shinkaruk? 

You do understand we will get burned. Shinkaruk will be an NHL all-star. The only reason he isn't here is because Vrbata is. When Vrbata gets moved, he will slot into our top 6 right away. Unlike McCann and Virtanen, Shinkaruk has been developing in a top 6 role and producing at a PPG. He's only 21. Don't write him off yet.

Yes, exactly! I wanna see what the kid can do on this roster, I don't understand why people want to trade him already. 

1 hour ago, westcoast said:

My prediction is yet again they get corralled into another kick at the can,but I hold faint hope someone up top will pull the plug on this thing.

the aqua man only cares about the bottom line here ..      the money he can make in 1 playoff series is far more important to him than how this team does in the long term .   thats my guess anyways 

4 minutes ago, Canucks Prophet said:

Yes, exactly! I wanna see what the kid can do on this roster, I don't understand why people want to trade him already. 

If Baertschi gets resigned and Canucks land Lucic in free agency then Shinkaruk may be expendable for a good return cuz with Sedin, Lucic, Baertschi on left, he's realistically literally years away from ever making the roster. Gaunce with his 2 way play would be a better 4th liner than Shinkaruk. Barring that situation though, absolutely keep him. 

ok back now dangle miller to see what he,s worth  get rid of prust and cracknell. can't see hamhuis wanting to go guy flys home every opportunity he gets, forcing him to decide might not work out so well. could decide to retire....beg burrows to waive ntc?   forgot about weber guys gotta go.

Archived