The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The numbers for the rest of the year (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

Just hypothetically speaking

When I looked at our remaining games and awarded points by giving teams that had more points than us 2pts, those win the same 1 pt., and those that had less zero pts.

Our record for our remaining games was:

9 wins........17 losses...........2-OTL

Or 20 points

But the problem is most of the losses come after the trade Deadline

Can Benning project those numbers and make a decision based on those numbers?

I am not sure he can! But if we need 80 pts. to get in.......we need 10 wins.......4 ties(OT Loss)..........14 losses

82 pts. to get in.......we need 11 wins......4 ties(OT Loss)..........13 losses

84 pts. to get in.......we need 12 wins......4 ties(OT Loss)..........12 losses

86 pts. to get in.......we need 13 wins......4 ties(OT Loss)..........11 losses

88 pts. to get in.......we need 14 wins......4 ties(OT Loss)..........10 losses

89 pts. to get in...... we need 14 wins......5 ties(OT Loss)............9 losses

Compare this to a very generous winning percentage for the remaining games

You get a record of.............. W         L      OTL

Record today........................22       20       12

Future projected points.........14         9        5

Final Standings (Points)........36       29      17......89 pts.      We can only have 7 more losses after the Minnisota game to meet this projection

8 pts short of Calgary's 2014-2015 final Western Conference playoff team, which was 97 points, and which was the lowest pts. total

of any of the Western Conference playoff teams

I just honestly don't get how Benning thinks he will go............better than 14-9-5 in his last 28 games= 33 points

He would need a record of :                   15        7        6   =      36 pts. or a winning percentage of    64.285

Sorry guys...... numbers were wrong     So from Feb. 13th we need: see below...pre Toronto        56 +41 =97

Revised numbers to reach 97 pts:      19        6        3  = 41 pts.   or a winning percentage of:   73.21%

Which would give them the 2nd best winning percentage compared to the first half(54 games ish) teams, just under Chicago Washington

And doing all this with out Edler and Sutter??????, and not taking into consideration any additional injuries............

If I got this right.........I can't believe he would think he could do this! 

and Just for the record..........89 pts. gives us the 8th OA (San Jose) pick in the 2014-2015 season

97 pts. gave Calgary the 16th OA pick

Tyhee, if I have this wrong please forgive me......and mods can take it off, but I think I have it right????

Ok, I am out!

I have reposted this, I put it a wrong post earlier...................REVISED FEB 13th

Just now, CeeBee51 said:

I know you spent a lot of time on this but there is a reason they actually play the games.:rolleyes:

I do understand this, and I have seen a lot of crazy things, so it could happen. But I do a lot of comparisons with Vegas ODDs Makers, which don't usually lose their shirt.......they build a lot of safety factors into their posted Odds, and they say the Canucks will not do any better than I am proposing....in fact worse

So just makes me wonder what the hell?

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I do understand this, and I have seen a lot of crazy things, so it could happen. But I do a lot of comparisons with Vegas ODDs Makers, which don't usually lose their shirt.......they build a lot of safety factors into their posted Odds, and they say the Canucks will not do any better than I am proposing....in fact worse

So just makes me wonder what the hell?

Thing is no GM can come out and say he's not trying to make the playoffs or say he is going to trade for picks or whatever.  I'm sure Canuck management knows we are in tough.  There is also more than 2 wekks to the deadline and things could/will change by then.

Just now, CeeBee51 said:

are you sure about that? :ph34r:

I think it is a safe bet. Stranger things happen but we have two players out right now long term and if we lose anyone else in our top 4 or top 6 and with how injuries this year have went is a big possibility we lose one of each in the next several games. We are in a tough spot.

If there is a year to bite the bullet and sell this is the year. No one has to take the fall for missing the playoffs as injuries are a good enough excuse for most people.

I never want to miss the playoffs but I think dropping vrbata and bringing in a guy from Utica isn't going to be detrimental to our chances. Send hammer off is a tougher choice but I think if you are going to do it and there is a top team like LA or Washington willing to take him this is the year to do it. Give him a legitimate shot at a cup and hope he comes back next season at a major home town discount. 

Also selling to any takers if there is any higgy and Prust maybe weber you do it for anything you can get.

I don't think getting rid of burrows or Hanson is a good idea at least not both of them since they are our pk and without them it would be ugly.

Thanks for the read OP.  It was clear this was more than just ramblings of an incoherent mind.  Nice breakdown, research and good thought behind it.  Sometimes realism is a difficult pill to swallow.

I have been of the frame of mind we are maybe a .500 team this year, obviously not good enough for the playoffs.  What I have been most interested in this year is the development of our young guys.

Watching Bo and Baer fight through the adversity of the first half and finding chemistry has been a real treat.

Bringing in Etem seems to have jumpstarted Vey and they have become quite a duo.  They have created a ton of chances.  If they stick with, they will start burying the goals.  In fact, Vey has been miles better since he's been brought back up.  There is room for improvement but the battle and work ethic is there more consistently than before.

Hutton and Biega on our backend has been fun as well.  There's still room for them to grow and I can't wait for next year to see them with some NHL experience under their belt.

And what can you say about Marky!

Overall, my expectations were low coming into this year so I'm not disappointed.  We've got cap space coming up this year and next.  It will be very telling in how management utilize the space.

I think Benning should trade everyone over the age of 25.  This team will not possibly be a cup favourite in 5 years so any over 25 now will be too old to contribute.  In fact, we should do this every year.  We will consistently be the darlings of draft and trade deadline day.  Building a consistently competitive  team is too hard  and slow so we might as well have that.

/end sarcasm

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I think Benning should trade everyone over the age of 25.  This team will not possibly be a cup favourite in 5 years so any over 25 now will be too old to contribute.  In fact, we should do this every year.  We will consistently be the darlings of draft and trade deadline day.  Building a consistently competitive  team is too hard  and slow so we might as well have that.

/end sarcasm

hey not bad. should get mathews that way.  By my count we'd have 6 forwards , 1 dman and no goalies :lol:

you sure you're not serious?  hehehe.... 

Forget Vegas.

There are better indicators of where we sit. In the west we are 13th in goals for out of 14 teams. 9th in Goals against. Our Corsi does not look great, our record of course as is duly noted & worked forwards by the OP. And then there are physical comparisons. IE do we have the size and speed to play against match ups we will face & offer a reliable chance to project ourselves ahead of our competitors?

I want to see us compete sure. But I'm not throwing more logs on the fire at the moment...

Well Benning has to go by the odds, like I said this month is a easy month, not much elite competition. Look at next month! 

Islander,Sanjose, Hawks, Blues, Nashville, 

the only weak teams we play is Winnipeg and Mcdavid, and yeah Pheniox who out played us and had Biega save a goal.

How can Benning honestly think this team can make the playoffs when we get outplayed every game relying on old man Miller back there stopping 29-30-40 + a nite, and the saves are like all star saves. Good idea BENNING sign Miller so he can stand on his head and maintain mediocrity for this team, only when you play a elite team who never over think Old man Miller and continue to rip the puck and screen him until old man Miller cracks. 

Archived