The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016-17 Utica Comets Thread

Like Miller, Demko is being overworked right now. He was probably bound to have a game like this sooner or later.

Wish Green would have pulled him at 4-1. He should be looking to tomorrow and resting him if he does want to option of playing him again.

Just now, DeNiro said:

Like Miller, Demko is being overworked right now. He was probably bound to have a game like this sooner or later.

Wish Green would have pulled him at 4-1. He should be looking to tomorrow and resting him if he does want to option of playing him again.

So easy to say could, should and would. I respect you as a poster, but I suggest you check yourself on godliness.

Comets drop this one, 5-1 the final. Shots were 33-21 for Syracuse; Demko held his own until the third period when the roof caved in on the team. Agree with @DeNiro that pulling him when the game was out of reach probably would've been a wise choice... unless Green has already decided on Garteig for tomorrow. They've been playing so consistently well lately that it feels strange to say that they didn't have their legs in a game - they just looked a collective step slower than Syracuse and weren't really ever in the game after the Crunch took the lead. Special teams was a big factor - the powerplay was ineffective in a game where a couple of PP goals earlier on could've made a big difference, and Syracuse capitalized on the PP chances of their own. Pedan had a dreadful game, being directly responsible for two Crunch goals - one where he abandoned his check (Conacher) who scored, and the other where he took a bad penalty in the third when the score was still within reach. I wouldn't be surprised if Green chooses to sit him again tomorrow as part of the weekend defense rotation.

Not really a lot of bright spots amongst the skaters in this one - they've just got to pull themselves together and put a good bounce back effort in against the Penguins tomorrow. They've had good success in the third game of three in recent weeks and they'll need another one of those now. Updated North Division standings:

Syracuse, 77 pts (66 gp)
Toronto, 77 pts (67 gp)
St. John's, 74 pts (67 gp)
Albany, 73 pts (67 gp)
Utica, 71 pts (66 gp)

1st      
10:27 UTI Mike Zalewski (5) ASST: Chad Billins (15), Pascal Pelletier (18)

11:56 SYR Cory Conacher (15) ASST: Michael Bournival (10), Matthew Peca (24)

2nd      
12:30 SYR Henri Ikonen (4) ASST: Adam Comrie (10), Ben Thomas (15) (PP)

3rd      
4:57 SYR John Kurtz (3) ASST: Matthew Peca (25), Erik Condra (28)

8:44 SYR Byron Froese (27) ASST: Matt Taormina (40), Cory Conacher (40) (PP)

13:26 SYR Cory Conacher (16) ASST: Tye McGinn (4)

3 minutes ago, Western Red said:

So easy to say could, should and would. I respect you as a poster, but I suggest you check yourself on godliness.

Which part are you referring to? Him being overworked or being pulled at 4-1?

I think it's pretty obvious he's being overworked. The guy is playing every game for them right now.

As for pulling him at 4-1, I would use that as a general rule for any goalie. Especially when they have another game tomorrow too which he may very well play.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Which part are you referring to? Him being overworked or being pulled at 4-1?

I think it's pretty obvious he's being overworked. The guy is playing every game for them right now.

As for pulling him at 4-1, I would use that as a general rule for any goalie. Especially when they have another game tomorrow too which he may very well play.

Neither. The 3 game weekends are grueling, but Demko really hasn't shown fatigue. I don't pretend to know the ideals behind professional hockey teams decisions. Usually, athletes are ridden until they show signs that they cannot be ridden anymore. It's easy to have hindsight. We should all be aware of this  in all facets of life.

1 minute ago, Western Red said:

Neither. The 3 game weekends are grueling, but Demko really hasn't shown fatigue. I don't pretend to know the ideals behind professional hockey teams decisions. Usually, athletes are ridden until they show signs that they cannot be ridden anymore. It's easy to have hindsight. We should all be aware of this  in all facets of life.

Mental fatigue is the most likely to come first when riding a goalie like this.

I don't think it takes too much hindsight to know playing a goalie three games in three days would wear them down. They have to try and balance getting wins to get into the playoffs and having him not be burnt out when/if they get there. Not easy for Green right now for sure.

Comets play Wilkes Barre in about 20 minutes time as they look to bounce back though it won't be easy as the Penguins are one of the best teams in the league and they are even better with Aston Reese. 

Comets Lineup

Kunyk - Valk - Virtanen

Archibald - Cassels - Grenier

Carcone - Pelletier - Zalewski

Hamilton - Bancks - Roy

McEneny - Subban

Pedan - Robak

Billins - Sautner

Garteig

Lines could get juggled up again with the team being tired but I expect Green to probably shorten his bench and keep shifts for each line short. Looks right now Go Comets!

1-1 at the end of the first, shots are 33-28 for Utica. A bit of a goaltending battle so far as both teams are on pace for well over 40 shots and have each had their share of good scoring chances. The Comets powerplay looks better than yesterday (it would be hard not to) and saw success in the second. The lines are a bit off since they're dressing seven defencemen and eleven forwards today; saw Archibald/Valk/Virtanen and Bancks/Hamilton/Cassels a couple of times in the second period as Green rotates the forward lines to make room for Negrin, which probably says a lot about the healthy scratch forwards' chances of getting into a game. Subban didn't have a great period under the pressure of the Penguins' attack and was bobbling the puck several times but luckily nothing came out of it; Green did put he and McEneny together for the late 4-on-3 PP which could be a good look going forward, although it may have just been for that situation.

4 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

1-1 at the end of the first, shots are 33-28 for Utica. A bit of a goaltending battle so far as both teams are on pace for well over 40 shots and have each had their share of good scoring chances. The Comets powerplay looks better than yesterday (it would be hard not to) and saw success in the second. The lines are a bit off since they're dressing seven defencemen and eleven forwards today; saw Archibald/Valk/Virtanen and Bancks/Hamilton/Cassels a couple of times in the second period as Green rotates the forward lines to make room for Negrin, which probably says a lot about the healthy scratch forwards' chances of getting into a game. Subban didn't have a great period under the pressure of the Penguins' attack and was bobbling the puck several times but luckily nothing came out of it; Green did put he and McEneny together for the late 4-on-3 PP which could be a good look going forward, although it may have just been for that situation.

Can't catch today's game.  Thanks for the update.  This could be the season

Archived