The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Mike Hoffman

Hoffman potted 29 goals and is only making 2 mill per season. Only way I see Ottawa trading him is if he wants a huge raise, not sure if Sens would take a 5 mill salary back. I think they love Hoffman considering there was "no negativity" during his arbitration hearing. Sens also made their move for defence by getting Phanoef, they already have Karlsson and Ceci, that is 3 guys who chew up minutes. Tough call, doubtful IMO that Sens trade him for Eddy. 

12 hours ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

I thought you should see his opinion because he actually lives in Ottawa and watches this guy play. Have you? Why the arrogance then? You're usually so loveable and easy to get along with. 

One part I appreciate about our community is when I am clearly "off base" I get corrected.  It's like a lockeroom to me.  Short of my fur suit getting tossed in the shower, of course. :)  Did more research on Hoffman.  He's a guy that might cost us too much though?  

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

One part I appreciate about our community is when I am clearly "off base" I get corrected.  It's like a lockeroom to me.  Short of my fur suit getting tossed in the shower, of course. :)  Did more research on Hoffman.  He's a guy that might cost us too much though?  

I agree he would be harder to get, but I think it would be well worth it if we were able to. 

Our top 4 is unlikely to be going anywhere since JB did so much work to improve it and make it competitive for next season. Hoffman would be the #1 target for 1/2 LW in my books, but we just don't really have the pieces to get him. Our offer would most likely consist of Baer + Sbisa + 2017 2nd rounder and maybe a lower end prospect like zhuk or cassels. 

Other than lacking the proposal tag, it's a great proposal. Edler is exactly who Ottawa would be asking for. I think he plays with Karlsson internationally, so there's proven chemistry there. And for whatever reason, the Sens don't seem to want to commit to Hoffman, despite his consistent production.

That said, this would have been an ideal move at the draft. Then after moving Edler, we could have retained Hamhuis, with the ability to give him expansion protection. But now it would leave a gaping hole in our D-core, and probably weekens our team overall.

On 22 July, 2016 at 5:48 PM, SaintPatrick33 said:

Hoffman potted 29 goals and is only making 2 mill per season. Only way I see Ottawa trading him is if he wants a huge raise, not sure if Sens would take a 5 mill salary back. I think they love Hoffman considering there was "no negativity" during his arbitration hearing. Sens also made their move for defence by getting Phanoef, they already have Karlsson and Ceci, that is 3 guys who chew up minutes. Tough call, doubtful IMO that Sens trade him for Eddy. 

Hoffman is an RFA right now and rumours have come around that he's looking for 5+ million on a long term deal.

He did, indeed. I'm just saying he'd be a good fit on the Canucks and worth trading for, that's all.

Since Hansen for Hoffman was thrown around as an idea, I'll add that although I really like Hansen, I'd trade him straight up for Hoffman any day of the week if I was Benning and my phone rang with that offer. Don't think Ottawa pulls the trigger on that, though.

Archived