The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How our lines should look next year

Hortankin

Before I start I'd just like to say.. Enough with the getting old subject, remember people laughing at the Sharks for not tearing it down? Before last year they were written off. They are a team we should be looking at to give us hope for this retool. This can be done people even with our grumpy old vets, have hope.

SEDIN SEDIN ERIKSSON

This will be an elite 1st line. Maybe not as good as they could have been 5 years ago but they will be a DEADLY trio, especially on the PP. Enough with the put him on Horvat's line to balance the scoring, we want the best possible 1st line we can get. Besides there is a better option for Horvat IMHO and has already proven to have great chemistry together. So leave the Swedish power house line alone! I could see all 3 getting a PPG if they can stay healthy.

BAERTSCHI HORVAT HANSEN

This line will be our 2nd line. I know people will say Sutter should be ahead of Horvat on the depth chart, which is a very valid opinion. However, when I think of a 2nd line I think of our 2nd most offensively capable line, and When I think offense I think Baertschi and Hansen are the 2 best winger options and it's a toss up between Bo and Sutter (for now). Horvat has great chemistry and plays his best when paired with Hansen and Baertschi, so to me this makes the most sense.

BURROWS SUTTER RODIN

When I think 3rd line I think of a good shutdown line with offensive capabilities. Burrows and Sutter are arguably our 2 best defensive forwards, and they should see a lot of defensive zone draws this year. Offensively this line could be a deadly 3rd line if Rodin comes as advertised. Burrows can be a pest in front of the net while Sutter and Rodin try and get something going. As long as they keep the other team from scoring I'll be happy though, the offence is bonus. If Virtanen makes the team I would put him in Rodin's spot and move Rodin to line 4 or line 1 in Utica.

GRANLUND GAUNCE ETEM

I like Gaunce as a C more than Granlund, but I like both, I just prefer Gaunce. This is similar to our 3rd line. Granlund and Gaunce are both solid defensively and Gaunce and Etem have the physical capabilities to be a solid checking line. This line is actually a very good 4th line compared to most NHL teams. It has a mixture of Size, Speed, D, and offense. All players are capable of breaking out so that could really boost our playoff chances if they do.

JUOLEVI/EDLER TANEV

The only way I see Juolevi making the team is if he impresses enough to make Benning feel comfortable trading Edler. We all know why Edler and Tanev will be the top pairing so I'm going to explain how well Juolevi could fit here. Yes Juolevi is an 18 year old rookie defenseman,  and yes defenseman usually don't make the big club their draft year, but to me, Juolevi has the skills and IQ to pull it off. Tanev will take the the fear of making a mistake right out of Juolevi and help ease him into the league. Juolevi's passing skill could be HUGE on a PP with the Swedish trio and I cannot wait to witness it. For now it's Edler and Tanev, but don't be surprised is Juolevi forces JB to trade Edler, because we are not waiving Hutton or having Tryamkin bolt back to Russia.

HUTTON GUDBRANSON

Benning has already said the plan was to have this as our 2nd pairing. Hutton was amazing last year and he can really help offensively. Gudbranson is a very big, very mature defensive defenseman.  He will take Hutton under his wing and be a great mentor for him. Don't be suprised if this becomes our top pairing by seasons end.

TRYAMKIN SBISA/LARSEN

Who will play along side Tryamkin? I think Larsen and Sbisa will share games depending on opponents this year until JB know which one he wants to keep and which one he is willing to deal. If Tryamkin can play as well as he showed last year we could go from a laughing stock in terms of defense to powerhouse.

LOOKING AHEAD TO NEXT YEAR

Remember how we got 101pts 2 years ago? And remember how well we were doing last year b4 bizarre injuries rapidly occurred? Do you remember how our defence looked both years? A hell of a lot worse than it does now that's for sure. We have all been crying for defence and an perfect winger for the Sedins, and now we got both and people still complain. Call me crazy but I'm predicting a 1st or 2nd seed in our division and we will make it to atleast round 2 with a cinderella story possiblity. 2-3 more years and we will be a force to rekon with again, sorry so many people are blind and can't see the vast improvment JB has made in just 2 short years!

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

34 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

Before I start I'd just like to say.. Enough with the getting old subject, remember people laughing at the Sharks for not tearing it down? Before last year they were written off. They are a team we should be looking at to give us hope for this retool. This can be done people even with our grumpy old vets, have hope.

SEDIN SEDIN ERIKSSON

This will be an elite 1st line. Maybe not as good as they could have been 5 years ago but they will be a DEADLY trio, especially on the PP. Enough with the put him on Horvat's line to balance the scoring, we want the best possible 1st line we can get. Besides there is a better option for Horvat IMHO and has already proven to have great chemistry together. So leave the Swedish power house line alone! I could see all 3 getting a PPG if they can stay healthy.

BAERTSCHI HORVAT HANSEN

This line will be our 2nd line. I know people will say Sutter should be ahead of Horvat on the depth chart, which is a very valid opinion. However, when I think of a 2nd line I think of our 2nd most offensively capable line, and When I think offense I think Baertschi and Hansen are the 2 best winger options and it's a toss up between Bo and Sutter (for now). Horvat has great chemistry and plays his best when paired with Hansen and Baertschi, so to me this makes the most sense.

BURROWS SUTTER RODIN

When I think 3rd line I think of a good shutdown line with offensive capabilities. Burrows and Sutter are arguably our 2 best defensive forwards, and they should see a lot of defensive zone draws this year. Offensively this line could be a deadly 3rd line if Rodin comes as advertised. Burrows can be a pest in front of the net while Sutter and Rodin try and get something going. As long as they keep the other team from scoring I'll be happy though, the offence is bonus. If Virtanen makes the team I would put him in Rodin's spot and move Rodin to line 4 or line 1 in Utica.

GRANLUND GAUNCE ETEM

I like Gaunce as a C more than Granlund, but I like both, I just prefer Gaunce. This is similar to our 3rd line. Granlund and Gaunce are both solid defensively and Gaunce and Etem have the physical capabilities to be a solid checking line. This line is actually a very good 4th line compared to most NHL teams. It has a mixture of Size, Speed, D, and offense. All players are capable of breaking out so that could really boost our playoff chances if they do.

JUOLEVI/EDLER TANEV

The only way I see Juolevi making the team is if he impresses enough to make Benning feel comfortable trading Edler. We all know why Edler and Tanev will be the top pairing so I'm going to explain how well Juolevi could fit here. Yes Juolevi is an 18 year old rookie defenseman,  and yes defenseman usually don't make the big club their draft year, but to me, Juolevi has the skills and IQ to pull it off. Tanev will take the the fear of making a mistake right out of Juolevi and help ease him into the league. Juolevi's passing skill could be HUGE on a PP with the Swedish trio and I cannot wait to witness it. For now it's Edler and Tanev, but don't be surprised is Juolevi forces JB to trade Edler, because we are not waiving Hutton or having Tryamkin bolt back to Russia.

HUTTON GUDBRANSON

Benning has already said the plan was to have this as our 2nd pairing. Hutton was amazing last year and he can really help offensively. Gudbranson is a very big, very mature defensive defenseman.  He will take Hutton under his wing and be a great mentor for him. Don't be suprised if this becomes our top pairing by seasons end.

TRYAMKIN SBISA/LARSEN

Who will play along side Tryamkin? I think Larsen and Sbisa will share games depending on opponents this year until JB know which one he wants to keep and which one he is willing to deal. If Tryamkin can play as well as he showed last year we could go from a laughing stock in terms of defense to powerhouse.

LOOKING AHEAD TO NEXT YEAR

Remember how we got 101pts 2 years ago? And remember how well we were doing last year b4 bizarre injuries rapidly occurred? Do you remember how our defence looked both years? A hell of a lot worse than it does now that's for sure. We have all been crying for defence and an perfect winger for the Sedins, and now we got both and people still complain. Call me crazy but I'm predicting a 1st or 2nd seed in our division and we will make it to atleast round 2 with a cinderella story possiblity. 2-3 more years and we will be a force to rekon with again, sorry so many people are blind and can't see the vast improvment JB has made in just 2 short years!

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

This is very close to how I see our lines.   Horvat is in every way a better #2 than Sutter.  This teams fortunes are very closely correlated to the extent to which Bo improves the next couple years.

I, personally am a huge Horvat fan, and can see him developing into a #1A C in this league.

It's interesting that neither of us see Dorsett or Sbisa as part of the core line up.  These two contracts were likely part of the reason Gillman was fired (disagreed with them).  Just when I find myself becoming a fan of Benning, I think back to how bad these looked at the time....how could he not see the same thing...when everybody else could ??

The other huge wild card is Virtanen....does he come to camp a different player and inpact the top 6 (or be used in a trade to up end the top 6). IMO Jake would look great with the 2 veterans Sutter and Burrows.   Also, hope Rodin is a top 6/9 guy.

If Juolevi impresses, and can play w/Gudbranson...would be all over something like Virtanen and Hutton for Landeskog

The scariest part about next season to me is the confidence being shown in Rodin,Hutton,Larsen and to a certain extent Gudbranson.  A lot of "ifs"

Actually, pretty nice lines..excited about Rodin too.

Zalewski's a sleeper..he's got some Jannik in him.

Demote Burr & Sbisa, & we can recall them for Christmas. Gives extra kids a shot.

Baer - Hank - Eriksson

Danny - Sutter - Rodin

Etem - Bo - Hansen

Gaunce - Granny/Zalew - Dorsett

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Gud

Tree/Pedan-Larssen/Biega

M & M's

I'll wait til preseason, too many questions remain.

Biggest questions for me are -

Can Marky steal the starter job?

When Demko gets called up because someone's injured, will he force JB to trade Miller?

I'm hoping for two yes's!

6 minutes ago, luckylager said:

When Demko gets called up because someone's injured, will he force JB to trade Miller?

L2,  Comparing Ana's Gibson to our kid. I think they rushed him, & consequently muffed his development. Schneids might've been ( by 1 yr?) too gradual? Somewhere in between, is prob Goldilocks-worthy. Don't rush 'tenders & D.

21 or 22 they should be ready & primed.

6 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

L2,  Comparing Ana's Gibson to our kid. I think they rushed him, & consequently muffed his development. Schneids might've been ( by 1 yr?) too gradual? Somewhere in between, is prob Goldilocks-worthy. Don't rush 'tenders & D.

21 or 22 they should be ready & primed.

I hear that. 

Spoiler

But,  Carey  Price.... 

And isn't Demko 21?

9 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I'd prefer calling up Gartieg. Let Demko show his stuff in Utica for atleast 2 consecutive years and do not call him up until you know he's ready. He is too good to mess up his development so we better be safe and do it right. Confidence is a huge part of goaltending, if he played a game next year and let 4G in 10 shots and got pulled, what's that do to his confidence. Patience my friend.

Realistically Markstrom steals the starting job by years end, we resign Miller on a CHEAP contract, the only team that could compete is ARZ and maybe Edm really. He wants to stay in the far West and Ana, LA, Sj, and CGY all have solid net minders.  I say sign him 3 more years at 2M per with a NTC for the first 2 years then trade him for a pick in year 3 and bring up Demko

1 minute ago, Hortankin said:

I'd prefer calling up Gartieg. Let Demko show his stuff in Utica for atleast 2 consecutive years and do not call him up until you know he's ready. He is too good to mess up his development so we better be safe and do it right. Confidence is a huge part of goaltending, if he played a game next year and let 4G in 10 shots and got pulled, what's that do to his confidence. Patience my friend.

Realistically Markstrom steals the starting job by years end, we resign Miller on a CHEAP contract, the only team that could compete is ARZ and maybe Edm really. He wants to stay in the far West and Ana, LA, Sj, and CGY all have solid net minders.  I say sign him 3 more years at 2M per with a NTC for the first 2 years then trade him for a pick in year 3 and bring up Demko

Ahh, come on! Gartieg?!... you'd rather call up Gartieg than take the new Ferrari for a rip? Please. If Demko's playing well, JB's ringing him up.

I stopped giving a crap about Miller last season, when he started being all pouty, and refusing to take any blame for some brutal 3rd period goals. He just blamed everyone else. Dude's washed up.

I'm still waiting on Jim to get another fwd with grit and can play throughout the lineup. Jim said it will likely come through a trade. But, I wonder if he goes for Sam Gagner or some other free agent. I would also like to see Eriksson on the 2nd line to help Horvat.  

I've said this before, but I think we'll shock a lot of people this year and I fully agree with your Cinderella Story statement. And if we get Kane for relatively cheap we should be considered serious dark horses. 

10 minutes ago, Pears said:

I've said this before, but I think we'll shock a lot of people this year and I fully agree with your Cinderella Story statement. And if we get Kane for relatively cheap we should be considered serious dark horses. 

Burrows contract + Grenier + 1st (top 10 protected)

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Kane Sutter Hansen

Baertschi Horvat Rodin/Virtanen

Granlund Gaunce Etem

I'd hope a 2nd would do it but we will have to pay to dump burrows' contract. Plus with the player coming up I'm not too worried about our 1st in next year's not so deep draft

2 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

Burrows contract + Grenier + 1st (top 10 protected)

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Kane Sutter Hansen

Baertschi Horvat Rodin/Virtanen

Granlund Gaunce Etem

Waaaay too much. With how low Kane's value is right now Sbisa+2nd should be plenty.

6 hours ago, Pears said:

I sure hope you are kidding about Kane ....... been a problem since midget hockey .... PLEASE JB stay away from him.

Archived