The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vilardi over Patrick?

AZCanuck

Ive come to expect the worse - thats what decades of losing, flops, and let downs does to a long time fan.  We are going to end up picking 5th, and the 5th guy we pick will show up fat, marry a girl from south america, and move to a ranch in Argentina to shave sheep.

If we could only get an an ounce of luck, like win the draft with the second best odds and the player we pick ends up to be an impact player - whether it be Vilardi or Patrick.  Is that too much to ask? Its not like im hoping for 4 first overall picks, one of which is a generational player.

21 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

Ive come to expect the worse - thats what decades of losing, flops, and let downs does to a long time fan.  We are going to end up picking 5th, and the 5th guy we pick will show up fat, marry a girl from south america, and move to a ranch in Argentina to shave sheep.

If we could only get an an ounce of luck, like win the draft with the second best odds and the player we pick ends up to be an impact player - whether it be Vilardi or Patrick.  Is that too much to ask? Its not like im hoping for 4 first overall picks, one of which is a generational player.

Took the Red Sox and Cubs over 100 years before they finally won. 

On 2017-04-20 at 7:02 AM, Quaz said:

I would pick Gabriel Vilardi simply due to work ethic and his drive.

Here are a few things people who know him have to say about him

Windsor coach Rocky Thompson

What sets Gabe Vilardi apart is that he’s an advanced stats darling.  Vilardi is “the engine on
this team because whoever plays with him, their Corsi numbers go straight up and are increased.”
Indeed, Thompson notes that said stats tend to drop off when they’re not playing with Gabe.
The coach credits Vilardi with making his teammates even better.

Mike Morreale of NHL.com
Vilardi is an analytics wizard: “a puck-possessing workaholic with skilled hands and outstanding awareness.”

Windsor goaltender Michael DiPietro

"He's the most hard-working guy I've ever been around,"  "All he wants to do is be a hockey player

and everything he does is centered around the game.  That's something I admire about him."

As for Nolan Patrick, I have seen him play and while he is better than his competition, the gap
isn't as big as you'd think given the praise he gets.  I haven't seen this great speed they talk
about but he certainly is bigger.  The comparison to Anze Kopitar is apt.  However, being bigger
and stronger in junior doesn't always translate to the NHL.  One of the oldest players in this draft
as well as a history of injuries should be enough to question his #1 ranking.

From McKenzie's pre-season ranking article on Sep 22, 2016

The consensus amongst scouts surveyed by TSN is that Patrick wouldn't have displaced
any of the top four picks in last year's draft.  Depending on the scout, they retroactively
rank Patrick anywhere between No. 5 and 10 based on his 2015-16 season

Having watched the World Juniors and seen most highlight packages on Nico Hischier, its clear
the kids is very good, but seems more like a playmaker with good speed but not elite speed.
Is he even in the same league as Nikolaj Ehlers?  These are the stats from their draft seasons

Season           Player                   Team                            GP    G       A       Pts
2014-15          Nikolaj Ehlers        Halifax Mooseheads     51     37     64     101
2016-17          Nico Hischier         Halifax Mooseheads     57     38     48      86

Leave it to the Canucks to possibly win one the most underwhelming NHL lottery in years.

This guy is a no brainer at 3rd overall, a case can even be made even for 1st overall.  I can't even go on HF anymore they are pissing me off. They are saying JB isn't interested in Gabe. First off how the hell do they know that? Second, if this is true JB needs to be fired. 

12 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

This guy is a no brainer at 3rd overall, a case can even be made even for 1st overall.  I can't even go on HF anymore they are pissing me off. They are saying JB isn't interested in Gabe. First off how the hell do they know that? Second, if this is true JB needs to be fired. 

I think they heard about Benning's disinterest in a bar downtown which Jim frequents. B)

30 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Yup. Let's fire the guy responsible for building the best prospect pool we've had in years....maybe ever....because he isn't as high on a certain player as you are.

Hahaha best response. 

On 2017-04-20 at 11:02 AM, Quaz said:

I would pick Gabriel Vilardi simply due to work ethic and his drive.

Here are a few things people who know him have to say about him

Windsor coach Rocky Thompson

What sets Gabe Vilardi apart is that he’s an advanced stats darling.  Vilardi is “the engine on
this team because whoever plays with him, their Corsi numbers go straight up and are increased.”
Indeed, Thompson notes that said stats tend to drop off when they’re not playing with Gabe.
The coach credits Vilardi with making his teammates even better.

Mike Morreale of NHL.com
Vilardi is an analytics wizard: “a puck-possessing workaholic with skilled hands and outstanding awareness.”

Windsor goaltender Michael DiPietro

"He's the most hard-working guy I've ever been around,"  "All he wants to do is be a hockey player

and everything he does is centered around the game.  That's something I admire about him."

As for Nolan Patrick, I have seen him play and while he is better than his competition, the gap
isn't as big as you'd think given the praise he gets.  I haven't seen this great speed they talk
about but he certainly is bigger.  The comparison to Anze Kopitar is apt.  However, being bigger
and stronger in junior doesn't always translate to the NHL.  One of the oldest players in this draft
as well as a history of injuries should be enough to question his #1 ranking.

From McKenzie's pre-season ranking article on Sep 22, 2016

The consensus amongst scouts surveyed by TSN is that Patrick wouldn't have displaced
any of the top four picks in last year's draft.  Depending on the scout, they retroactively
rank Patrick anywhere between No. 5 and 10 based on his 2015-16 season

Having watched the World Juniors and seen most highlight packages on Nico Hischier, its clear
the kids is very good, but seems more like a playmaker with good speed but not elite speed.
Is he even in the same league as Nikolaj Ehlers?  These are the stats from their draft seasons

Season           Player                   Team                            GP    G       A       Pts
2014-15          Nikolaj Ehlers        Halifax Mooseheads     51     37     64     101
2016-17          Nico Hischier         Halifax Mooseheads     57     38     48      86

Leave it to the Canucks to possibly win one the most underwhelming NHL lottery in years.

Gabe is a great pick, Horvat 2.0.  But he has nowhere near the potential of Nolan. He has also nowhere near the risk.  JB seems to go for the 'safe' pick. So it could be Gabe, but media types seem to have Middlestad higher on the list. 

Bo has to be a higher pick if a re draft was to happen in his draft year, so something to be said for that. 

Nico vs Ehlers is not apples to oranges. Look at the percentage of the teams offence that each represents.   Ehlers was on a powerhouse Moosehead team. Drouin was on the team for his first year and I believe they went to the CHL championships.  

Nico's team was all Nico, plus it was his first year in the league. No Drouin to take the lead and not nearly as strong as team around him. 

If Van ends up in the 4-5 spot, Gabe, Middlestad Liljegren, Glass or Foote are my favourites.  Makar may also get into that spot.  Would like to see his competition be stronger.  

The top top two are still the top two. Third is likely Liljegren or Middlestad.  

My two cents. 

EmW

Archived