The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Grabbing another mid-1st Round Pick

HKSR

On 2017-04-20 at 9:18 AM, HKSR said:

We saw the importance of having that brute size and strength on the blueline with Tryamkin.  Now that he's gone, we should consider it as a required core piece for the future.

I'd be shocked if Columbus doesn't hand over the 2nd round pick compensation to the Canucks this year.  So with the assumption that they do, here's the proposal:

Canucks trade the CLB 2nd Rounder + the VAN 2nd Rounder for a 1st round pick in the 15-25 range.

That puts us in a position to draft Nic Hague. 

Nic Hague:

- A 6'6" defenceman with a nasty streak

- 18 goals and 46 points in 65 games in the regular season including a +/- of +22

- 10 points in 9 games in the playoffs

- skates very well, hits very hard

Yes, he can be a dirty player, but being a Mr. Nice Guy in the playoffs doesn't win Cups. 

So what's there not to like?  If you wanted a young Pronger in the making, this guy is it. 

Great proposal. +1

On 4/20/2017 at 11:09 PM, HKSR said:

Umm, first of all, I'm not sure why you're so upset (assumption based on the triple exclamation marks lol).

Second of all, it does happen that 1st round picks are traded for high 2nd round picks and additional picks or assets.  It literally happened just 2 years ago... TWICE in the 1st round.

Lightning traded their 1st to the Islanders for their 2nd and 3rd.  

Then the Leafs traded their 1st to the Bluejackets for their 2nd and 3rd as well.

yes in good drafts they do,but this one is not one of those drafts

4 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

yes in good drafts they do,but this one is not one of those drafts

1999 as we all know was a terrible draft year.  In that year the Stars traded their 1st for Islanders 2nd and 3rd.

I hate to break it to you, but trades regarding a 1st for a 2nd plus additional pick(s)  happen all the time.

LOL I agreed with they do and know they do but just do not see us doing it this year with our seconds and do not know if we will get one from columbus this year, we need youngsters more then a two for one at this point so not worth it for us

6 hours ago, cripplereh said:

LOL I agreed with they do and know they do but just do not see us doing it this year with our seconds and do not know if we will get one from columbus this year, we need youngsters more then a two for one at this point so not worth it for us

It would be shocking if Columbus didn't give us that second this year considering where they ended up in the standings

Let's assume CLB does give us the Torts pick this year.  Would anyone consider combining our own high second round pick with the CLB pick to move up into 18-22 range of the first round? Or would we get more value in using both second round picks?

On 2017-04-20 at 1:18 PM, HKSR said:

We saw the importance of having that brute size and strength on the blueline with Tryamkin.  Now that he's gone, we should consider it as a required core piece for the future.

I'd be shocked if Columbus doesn't hand over the 2nd round pick compensation to the Canucks this year.  So with the assumption that they do, here's the proposal:

Canucks trade the CLB 2nd Rounder + the VAN 2nd Rounder for a 1st round pick in the 15-25 range.

Nic Hague:

- 18 goals and 46 points in 65 games in the regular season including a +/- of +22

Yes, he can be a dirty player, but being a Mr. Nice Guy in the playoffs doesn't win Cups. 

So what's there not to like?  If you wanted a young Pronger in the making, this guy is it. 

Hague or Foote 

I would be fine with either if they are there and we can get a Mid round pick. 

Ramussen is another guy to look at. We could use another PF and big center. 

The top end is light this year for 'generational' talent but solid for the first 20 guys. I can see most of them making the league and we could be looking back at this draft like 2003.  

Grab another pick or two in the first round. 

EmW

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 11:18 AM, HKSR said:

Nic Hague:

I like it. I would prefer to keep our 2nd (33rd). So, variation on a theme...CLB 2nd + Sbisa (if he isn't taken in the expansion draft) or Tanev + Subban. I also think we need guys in the back end to make it uncomfortable for forwards to park in front of the net, or skate in with their heads down, knowing that no one is going to hammer them and then hand them their head back on a platter. Guddy just didn't much of a chance to adjust to a change in scenery before he was injured and ultimately ineffective altogether, so we truly don't know what he is capable of. I don't think much of Subban's future here, hence the throw-in.

Archived