The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL 18 Thread

MusclePharm

That's an interesting article, unsure of its reliability but it does seem to be authentic. I found most of those gameplay comments to be mostly the same, nothing seemed to standout to me that much. Hopefully the franchise mode is actually optimized this year and they haven't invested all of their time making the presentation of the expansion element over the top, which seems to fit the EA sports mold.

On 2017-06-29 at 9:38 PM, Pr3mo said:

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/nhl_18/b/playstation4/archive/2017/06/21/game-informer-nhl-18-preview.aspx

Not sure if Game Informer is a reliable source but here's some more info.

The additions/improvements to Franchise Mode are sounding pretty good.

Game Informer is definitely reliable. One of the biggest gaming magazines.

On 2017-06-26 at 10:14 PM, Cocolocci said:

Yes.. and all the little kids assign their attribute points to speed and acceleration and their players are 5'10" or smaller, that's was fun.. :wub:

Pretty much. People found out which attributes to put into your guy to make him way faster than anyone else on the ice. It made it so you had to do it in order to even compete, because they'd blow by your defense every time for a breakaway. EASHL 2014 was basically a breakaway and cheese shot defending game, because if you had AI defense they'd do nothing.

"To reflect the youth movement in the modern NHL, expect to see a lot more NHL-ready players in the top 10 of drafts. You may also be able to find more gems in later rounds than in previous years."

Finally, I'm not sure about 15, 16 and 17 but all the games before that the draft seems kind of useless. Only the top 3 players eventually become 80+ overall and serviceable.

Because of this, I usually just trade away all my picks. I hope they model the draft after the Madden series, if you are unfamiliar, it has a very deep scouting system and the draft is the best way to build your team.

On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:14 PM, Cocolocci said:

Yes.. and all the little kids assign their attribute points to speed and acceleration and their players are 5'10" or smaller, that's was fun.. :wub:

Acceleration was useless so putting points into that didn't garner much.  My guy was a PWF 6"3 190lbs and I enjoyed plastering all the 5"8 grinders into oblivion.  It made the game fun which it isn't now, probably why this mode died this year. 

22 hours ago, CanucksHomer said:

Because of this, I usually just trade away all my picks. I hope they model the draft after the Madden series, if you are unfamiliar, it has a very deep scouting system and the draft is the best way to build your team.

Hopefully, Madden has wicked drafting.  You can actually draft a gem in the later rounds like Brady was. 

18 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Hopefully, Madden has wicked drafting.  You can actually draft a gem in the later rounds like Brady was. 

I think they just have to find a balance. If you have too many gems in the late rounds it becomes unrealistic.

Football drafts irl are usually really deep and you can find roster players in the late rounds. For the NHL drafts, rarely does a player outside the first 2 rounds make it.

With my recent experience with NHL, only a handful of first rounders make it, the rest are sub-77overalls which is way too low success rate for drafting, thus trading picks away for established players are a better option.

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎04 at 9:10 PM, -Stammer- said:

used to love this franchise but have lost interest in paying $80 for virtually the same game every fall

same I never buy the game on launch anymore wait for a massive price drop

On 2017-07-04 at 9:10 PM, -Stammer- said:

used to love this franchise but have lost interest in paying $80 for virtually the same game every fall

I haven't bought a NHL game since 2004 ::D has the bare basics changed all that much?

Gameplay features:

THE ICE IS YOUR PLAYGROUND

On attack, all-new creative dekes include between-the-legs shooting, one-handed dekes, back-handed toe-drags and much more - including the ability to link moves together for moment-to-moment decision making. On defense, the all-new Defensive Skill Stick gives you the tools to counter attacks with poke check targeting, extended pokes, and controlled stick sweeps to cover zones of the ice and take away lanes.

bg-xs.jpg

DEFENSIVE SKILL STICK

The new Defensive Skill Stick gives you full control over your stick to target poke checks, keep your stick extended against an attacker to disrupt a play, and even sweep your stick back and forth to cover a zone.
nhl18-gameplay-media-creativeattackdekes

CREATIVE ATTACK DEKES

All-new offensive deke moves that deliver the creative freedom and control seen in today's NHL, including one-handed moves, between-the-legs dekes, back-handed toe-drags, heel drags, cheeky puck flips and more. New deke branching gives you control to choose how you string deke combinations together into fluid dangles based on moment-to-moment decisions and reaction time.
bg-xs.jpg

CREATIVE A.I.

Your A.I. teammates now leverage all the same creative deking and passing tools that you do, creating smarter plays up and down the ice. Teammates are better at finding you in breakout opportunities through off-the-boards bank passing, lead passing and improved positioning. A.I. will also use the new Defensive Skill Stick, making them more effective teammates in your own zone.
nhl18-gameplay-media-3on3-lg-2x.jpg

AUTHENTIC 3-ON-3 EASHL

You no longer need all five of your teammates to fill an EASHL match. Jump into 3-on-3 and experience a whole new competitive arena. Bringing authentic NHL 3-on-3 overtime to EA SPORTS Hockey League, you can now choose to play 3-on-3 full matches, opening up more ice for you and your teammates to get creative, pull off big plays, and showcase brand new skill moves. With more space to attack - and to make mistakes - 3-on-3 EASHL is higher stakes with more competition and skills.
bg-xs.jpg

HOCKEY TRAINING CAMP

NHL® 18 features an all-new Training Camp designed to ensure you get on the ice and have success immediately. Watch real-life videos from hockey professionals that teach you the right moves for the right moments, then jump into the training sessions and complete each challenge to become the most competitive player you can be. Training Camp is also now integrated in the in-game Coaching Feedback tips and On-Ice Trainer, allowing you to hear the feedback and watch videos on-the-fly that teach you how to improve your play.

https://www.easports.com/nhl/features/gameplay

NHL Threes:

EA SPORTS™ NHL® THREES

An all-new 3-on-3 hockey experience with bigger hits, faster action and more open-ice to create big plays, beautiful dangles and more goals. EA SPORTS™ NHL® THREES is inspired by fun, pick-up-and-play arcade sports games where you can play any way you want to, online or offline, co-op or competitive.
nhl18-threes-campaign-lg-2x.jpg

CAMPAIGN MODE

EA SPORTS™ NHL® THREES features a complete single-player campaign mode where you compete against different teams and leagues in a circuit-style journey. Progress through the campaign and unlock objective-based rewards along the way - including new teammates, jerseys, logos and even a few surprises!
nhl18-threes-allaction-lg.jpg

ALL ACTION

Jump into EA SPORTS™ NHL® THREES and keep the pace fast and exciting after the puck drops. No offsides and no icing means anything goes and the fun doesn't slow down. Every penalty sends you straight to center-ice for a penalty shot and the chance to earn a crucial goal.
nhl18-threes-rules-md-2x.jpg

PLAY BY YOUR RULES

In EA SPORTS™ NHL® THREES, you decide how to win the game. Flip a coin to determine the rules and the winner chooses how many periods to play or what goal limit determines the winner. Gotta win by two? It's all up to you.
nhl18-threes-broadcast-md-2x.jpg

NEW BROADCAST AND COMMENTARY PRESENTATION

An all-new EA SPORTS™ NHL® THREES commentator delivers more humor and fun, and adds to the unique energy and excitement of fast-paced 3-on-3 that keeps the crowd roaring. New broadcast presentation means your goals come with a whole new sizzle.
nhl18-threes-newarenas-md-2x.jpg

NEW ARENAS

Brand new EA SPORTS™ NHL® THREES arenas deliver more color, more special FX and completely unique on-ice designs that keep your games fresh and as exciting as the gameplay.
nhl18-threes-online-lg-2x.jpg

THREES ONLINE

EA SPORTS™ NHL® THREES features Online Vs. and Online Team Play to jump into the fast, fun 3-on-3 hockey on a team with your friends. Join two other friends and pick your team before jumping online against three other friends in a full six-player competitive, over-the-top hockey game.

nhl18-threes-coop-bg-xs.jpg

ULTIMATE COUCH CO-OP

Team up with your friends and play EA SPORTS™ NHL® THREES cooperatively or competitively with the most combinations of mixing local and online co-op play than previous any EA SPORTS NHL® game.

https://www.easports.com/nhl/features/nhl-threes

Multiplayer:

MOST MULTIPLAYER OPTIONS EVER

NHL® 18 gives you more ways to play local and online multiplayer - cooperatively or competitively - than any other EA SPORTS NHL® game. It no longer matters if your friends are on the couch, online, or both. With over 64 ways to team up and play on the couch or online, no other sports video game lets you play with friends like NHL® 18.

nhl18-multiplayer-coop-lg.jpg

CO-OP PLAY IN OFFLINE MODES

Whether you need a helping hand or just want to show off roster, you can now invite your friends to join you and help you progress in more modes, including Hockey Ultimate Team™, Online Vs. and EA SPORTS™ NHL® THREES.

https://www.easports.com/nhl/features/multiplayer

10 hours ago, ftmN said:

Thanks for that VC, still waiting for the gameplay for GM mode. The defensive stick will have me intrigued, hopefully there isn't issues registering a hit on the puck. 

I'm more worried about the million tripping calls this will lead to.

Archived