The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

With the increased min. wage in Alberta, how will it affect BC economy?

kurtzfan

2 hours ago, Kragar said:

What about the people that already have a living wage, and get an undeserved raise?

People who depend on minimum wage jobs should not be raising a family in the first place.

Great of you to decide on who has kids.    

I don't think that is a decision we get to make for others.

I don't know why people are so concerned about what other BC citizens getting a  few extra dollars in their pockets.

BC wages are the lowest wages in Canada.  This will need to change.  So many BCers  seem to get their ginch in a knot about what others make.....   

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Great of you to decide on who has kids.    

I don't think that is a decision we get to make for others.

I don't know why people are so concerned about what other BC citizens getting a  few extra dollars in their pockets.

BC wages are the lowest wages in Canada.  This will need to change.  So many BCers  seem to get their ginch in a knot about what others make.....   

I'm not deciding anything here.  If someone is earning minimum wage, they are already living in poverty.  Why start a family when you are struggling to provide for yourself?

For what it's worth, a theory I have is family size being a contributing factor to the wealth gap... too many poor people having large families while richer people having too few kids.  Those poorer families struggle more to care and provide for their families, and have little to no inheritances to pass on, while better opportunities and larger estates are spread over fewer children/heirs in richer situations.

The bolded goes both ways... so much concern out there for all those nasty millionaires and billionaires, right?

I just got back from a trip to Australia and the minimum wage there is $17.xx. However everything is super expensive ($4 for a bottle of coke/$3 for a bottle of water is quite common) and $18 for McDonalds breakfast for 2. I imagine if wages went up that high cost of everything will go up proportionally. Difference being that in Australia you don't have to tip 15% but here that culture won't change so you'll be paying $16 for mcdonalds instead of 12 and dinner out will cost you $140 vs 80.

6 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yah, its much better in Alabama and Louisiana .   Heh, maybe we even need  to lower our environmental standards to match Mexico.

Canada is better than that.  We can afford to pay our workers a minimum wage closer to the the living wage.  Canada is a better society than those too many on the right want to emulate and are so envious towards....

I really tried. Honestly did, but the relevancy with my post to your post went way out of control. Think about your substance and remove assumptions and people may take your opinion serious. 

if it isn't obvious to you which you've noted in your previous post prices go up and you're ok paying extra for your corporation coffee, so there really is no balance wages go up.. food goes up clothing goes up, hygiene products go up the list goes on. It's not rocket appliances Ricky, enjoy your more expensive double double. 

3 minutes ago, Boone Jenner said:

I really tried. Honestly did, but the relevancy with my post to your post went way out of control. Think about your substance and remove assumptions and people may take your opinion serious. 

if it isn't obvious to you which you've noted in your previous post prices go up and you're ok paying extra for your corporation coffee, so there really is no balance wages go up.. food goes up clothing goes up, hygiene products go up the list goes on. It's not rocket appliances Ricky, enjoy your more expensive double double. 

I tried to read your  post but honestly it made zero sense. Sorry i tried. 

14 minutes ago, TGokou said:

I just got back from a trip to Australia and the minimum wage there is $17.xx. However everything is super expensive ($4 for a bottle of coke/$3 for a bottle of water is quite common) and $18 for McDonalds breakfast for 2. I imagine if wages went up that high cost of everything will go up proportionally. Difference being that in Australia you don't have to tip 15% but here that culture won't change so you'll be paying $16 for mcdonalds instead of 12 and dinner out will cost you $140 vs 80.

Nice try.   You lost me with the 140.00 dollar dinner though...   

People always have reasons why other Canadians need to live in poverty and not feed their children....

Myself, when my neighbour gets a raise and has more money to feed   his family...  It makes my life richer.

21 minutes ago, TGokou said:

thats true, but there are benefits. With the broader tax base we don't need to raise taxes as much. We also gain by having fewer people on social services and fewer issues with kids in poverty. I've been in business in one form or another for most of my working life and am a big supporter of rising the min wage despite the fact that it raises prices as bit. The Aussie experience shows that it can be done and the sky doesn't fall, and really, shouldn't McDonalds be a bit more as a deterrent? :P

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Another great post. You are really on a roll.  Try to actually post coherent thoughts and opinions, then debate can happen. 

You literally replied with the most irrelevant post to my post. Grasp what you're saying and clue in. Tell me about what you know about small business and tax hikes with the liberal levy.. that was the substance of my post not some bs that you rambled about Mexico and Alabama.. 

please explain the relevancy..

IMG_0126.PNG

7 minutes ago, Boone Jenner said:

You literally replied with the most irrelevant post to my post. Grasp what you're saying and clue in. Tell me about what you know about small business and tax hikes with the liberal levy.. that was the substance of my post not some bs that you rambled about Mexico and Alabama.. 

please explain the relevancy..

Why should some Canadians get loopholes and sprinkle income to family members that don't even work for the business....... ?

No one likes to pay taxes.    

What loopholes? Only loop holes I'm witnessing is between the governments and big corps.. Bombadier for example. I pay wages, I pay my self I employee people. 

so here's my solution as a business owner for the wage increases, and I've prepared for this. Lay-off 35% of my staff and increase rates and services and swap to commission based wages.

So in regards to the increase in what I had mentioned in my first post that I'm still waiting on you to explain what Mexico had to do with Canadian small business and the environment.. 

Just now, Boone Jenner said:

What loopholes? Only loop holes I'm witnessing is between the governments and big corps..

hmm... no. I know people that "paid" their kids with income sprinkling and it was total bs. It has been abused and now its being taken away, simple as that. Same thing happened with the tightening of the SR&ED rules, that was obscene what many consultants were doing on that as well. 

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Hahaha  - next time try a credible sources please....

Have you read this one...

http://vancouversun.com/news/politics/b-c-s-john-horgan-second-most-popular-premier-in-canada-according-to-poll

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

CD Howe... 

In terms of Right Wing Spin Tanks...   don't you prefer the Fraser Institute....   

At least in terms of Spinning a good story.     I   find they write great comedy ....

20 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

CD Howe... 

In terms of Right Wing Spin Tanks...   don't you prefer the Fraser Institute....   

At least in terms of Spinning a good story.     I   find they write great comedy ....

Do you understand how math works. If a business owner only has $30 to pay his employees every hour. And min wage is at 10. Guess how many employees he can hire. If min wage is bumped up to 15. Now how many employees can he hire. 

The problem with the left is they have this idea that all business owners are like Scrooge mcduck or Cyril sneer and have rooms in their houses full of money they love to hoard, so they can roll in it a nights.  And that it wouldn't effect them to give a little away. Sadly this is not what most businesses are like. Most business owners are every day people that have there own struggles and in the end most business fail.

8 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Do you understand how math works. If a business owner only has $30 to pay his employees every hour. And min wage is at 10. Guess how many employees he can hire. If min wage is bumped up to 15. Now how many employees can he hire. 

The problem with the left is they have this idea that all business owners are like Scrooge mcduck or Cyril sneer and have rooms in their houses full of money they love to hoard, so they can roll in it a nights.  And that it wouldn't effect them to give a little away. Sadly this is not what most businesses are like. Most business owners are every day people that have there own struggles and in the end most business fail.

I would think that if minimum wage goes up....  all employers in a sector would be facing similar higher costs.

All employers would be facing the same issue.   All employers would have to pass on the increased cost to consumer.

Yes, it could lead to a slightly higher cost to consumer.

I as a consumer am happy to pay more for a product if i know the employee can then sleep in a bed instead of on a cardboard box in the park.

If a business fails because it can not afford to pay a living wage to its employees, then i think it was a poorly thought out  / ill planned business to  start with. 

Do you understand  how  poverty in BC affects all citizens  in higher social costs  / problems  ?  

I worked at a cpuple places were miimum wage meant minimum wage. Nobody earned more than that.

Jobs will be lost when companies realize they arent as efficent as they should.A person getting laid off from one place because the owner cant afford it will find another place in the smae industry.

46 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

CD Howe... 

So only left leaning groups/media like you constantly post work for you? 

Lol you and warhippy are actually similar.

Archived