The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

With the increased min. wage in Alberta, how will it affect BC economy?

kurtzfan

6 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

So only left leaning groups/media like you constantly post work for you? 

Lol you and warhippy are actually similar.

I don't take CD Howe or Fraser Institute seriously.  Do you ? 

They are both more Spin Tank than Think Tank.

I like my spinning when i am biking not when i am getting my news. 

12 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I would think that if minimum wage goes up....  all employers in a sector would be facing similar higher costs.

All employers would be facing the same issue.   All employers would have to pass on the increased cost to consumer.

Yes, it could lead to a slightly higher cost to consumer.

Here's an economic lesson 101.  Yes small businesses who's have low margin would have to pass on the cost to the consumer,  but big franchises with big margins can effectively take the hit without raising price and thus having a competitive advantage over the small business.  AKA you are really hurting the canadians trying to make a living and only helping the big businesses squeeze out their competition.  

Another factor is most small businesses have to pay a higher than min wage to attract skilled employees, raising min wage will have a ripple effect and force those business to have even higher wages.  Why work for $17/hr in a job you are expected to work hard at when you could get paid $15/hr to flip burgers.

I as a consumer am happy to pay more for a product if i know the employee can then sleep in a bed instead of on a cardboard box in the park.

Most canadain don't agree with you.  When it comes to choice of purchase price is the most important factor.

If a business fails because it can not afford to pay a living wage to its employees, then i think it was a poorly thought out  / ill planned business to  start with. 

There are far more factors at play for success and failures of a business, the gov't should want to encourage people to take risks and help grow their own business, not add in more barriers to make it harder to succeed.  But either way your thought process is quite sad,  not all businesses are laughing with the amount of profit, a lot are just getting by while still providing a good service to their community.  

Do you understand  how  poverty in BC affects all citizens  in higher social costs  / problems  ?  

Do you understand why people live in poverty? it's not because the world has held them back or forced them into that situation.  The far majority of poverty exist due to life poor choices.  Giving people more money doesn't solve anything, they are still just as likely to make poor live choices,  if you really want to help poverty it starts with educating them on how to handle finances, making smart life choices and the benefit of hard work.  

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Do you understand why people live in poverty? it's not because the world has held them back or forced them into that situation.  The far majority of poverty exist due to life poor choices.  Giving people more money doesn't solve anything, they are still just as likely to make poor live choices,  if you really want to help poverty it starts with educating them on how to handle finances, making smart life choices and the benefit of hard work.  

You can keep on trying to  justify profiting by exploiting cheap  labour.  Heh, whatever floats your boat. 

BC  has the highest rate of  child poverty in Canada.  I guess you would support this as it could ensure a whole new generation of cheap labour. 

I guess you can always bring in a few million third world workers that maybe you can hire at starvation wages....  It you think that is socially justifiable. 

I have a different vision of what BC and Canada can be for all its citizens. 

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

You can keep on trying to  justify profiting by exploiting cheap  labour.  Heh, whatever floats your boat. 

I guess you can always bring in a few million third world workers that maybe you can hire at starvation wages....  It you think that is socially justifiable. 

What don't you understand about this, it's not about exploiting anything, it's about paying someone what value they bring to a company.  If you work hard and bring value, i pay up for your skillset or I loose you to my competition.  If you are lazy, un reliable, and don't have a good work ethic, why should I be forced to pay you a wage that is way beyond the value you bring.  

Stop living in handout world and start living in reality.  

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

What don't you understand about this, it's not about exploiting anything, it's about paying someone what value they bring to a company.  If you work hard and bring value, i pay up for your skillset or I loose you to my competition.  If you are lazy, un reliable, and don't have a good work ethic, why should I be forced to pay you a wage that is way beyond the value you bring.  

Stop living in handout world and start living in reality.  

I think any human with a pulse can generate over 14.00 - 15.00  per hour in value for a properly thought out business. 

Maybe your business model is not well thought out. 

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

I think any human with a pulse can generate over 14.00 - 15.00  per hour in value for a properly thought out business. 

Everyone can, but the majority of people in poverty choose not to.  NOTHING is stoping them from putting in hard work and earning far more than $15/hr.  Stop playing the victim card and thinking everyone in poverty got screwed over by some rich guy, time to look in the mirror as to why you're broke.  

18 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Everyone can, but the majority of People in poverty choose not to.  NOTHING is stoping them from putting in hard work and earning far more than $15/hr.  Stop playing the victim card and thinking everyone in poverty got screwed over by some rich guy, time to look in the mirror as to why you're broke.  

Too funny.  My finances / pensions / housing investments  etc are rock solid.

I am concerned about the next generation though with the how our province has become so polarized with low incomes and expensive housing. 

The thing is though is I actually enjoy seeing my neighbours better off and their kids healthy.   A economically vibrant neighbourhood  actually makes my life better . 

Exploiting cheap labour at 10.00 per hour  is something that i am thankful that i don't have to participate in. 

On ‎2017‎-‎09‎-‎24 at 4:37 PM, kingofsurrey said:

The problem with the right is  personal GREED.   The more they can keep for themselves the  richer they think their lives will be.

Personally, i am happy to pay higher for things / services  if it will allow business's to pay employees a living wage. 

When the people in my community are better off  / fed /  / housed / clothed / safe / properly educated ,    it enriches  my life as well.  

Why stop at 11 bucks for a minimum wage....  Why not outlaw minimum wage and have people earning  4-5 dollars per hour and fill up the parks with homeless people.

Stanley Park alone could probably handle 50,000 homeless people tenting in it.

What does personal greed got to do with all this?   It has nothing to do with left or right.   Is making a good living and supporting your family a bad thing?

According to this CTV news report, the average family income in Vancouver is $90,000. 

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/interactive-map-shows-income-required-to-buy-vancouver-houses-1.3597460

And that level of income you can only afford a $568,000 home, probably a condo.   Are you considered "rich" if you earn $90,000 as a family?

And how about a East Side house.  You need to earn $250,000.  For a West Side House you need to earn $300,000.

So wealth and being "rich" is relative to where you live and work.   Making $100,000 won't get you a house  in Vancouver but you could get a nice home in elsewhere in Canada. if you earn that amount.  

Furthermore,  surveys show that people who earn high income don't consider themselves "Rich".   Those that earn $100,000, $200,000 don't consider themselves rich.   And who can blame them if you look at the high housing costs in Vancouver and Toronto.

When it comes to minimum wage, there are some countries in Europe that do not have a minimum wage.  Like Norway and Sweden.   And Germany never had a minimum wage until 2015.  But the standard of living is very high there despite no minimum wage.  Mainly due to the workforce being highly unionized.   But with the high wages in Europe come high prices for good and services.   I never visited Europe but those that have been there say prices for food and gas is very expensive compared to North America.

The point is, sure you can have a higher minimum wage, but prices will go up to compensate for it, and the worker is will be no further ahead.

I made 15 bucks an hour as a highschool kid in 1980's.

Can't imagine trying to pay bills and live at 11 bucks an hour in 2017.

Justifying paying people a below living wage is really tough.  We are creating a society with people not able to afford groceries or  feed their kids breakfast.

We can do better in Canada.   We need to do better in Canada.  

Poverty  / child poverty / and lack of education will hold this country back from excelling in the new economy. 

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I made 15 bucks an hour as a highschool kid in 1980's.

Can't imagine trying to pay bills and live at 11 bucks an hour in 2017.

Justifying paying people a below living wage is really tough.  We are creating a society with people not able to afford groceries or  feed their kids breakfast.

We can do better in Canada.   We need to do better in Canada.  

Poverty  / child poverty / and lack of education will hold this country back from excelling in the new economy. 

We used to have a lot "getting your hands dirty" jobs King, that paid a decent living wage, but that was long ago, when we actually made tangible things.  The vast majority of those jobs are gone to foreign lands, where wages are cheap.  Now most of these entry level jobs are in the service sector, where wages are traditionally low.

On ‎2017‎-‎09‎-‎24 at 4:46 PM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

See what I mean, moral not economic.  If all those people are homeless who's working?  Good lets get ride of min wage.  Competition for jobs and competition for skilled workers is what should determine a value and wage.  If I want someone competent then I need to be willing to pay what their value is worth on the open market.  

I often wonder how the left survives in life. I mean it must be hard being so financially incompetent.  But then again, it's no surprise why they vote for the political parties promising hand outs.

The problem with this is it is not a fair market place. The government has allowed temporary foreign workers to come in and fill jobs that people would not do for the wages offered. This has helped business's keep wages low, and messed with true market forces.

6 hours ago, gurn said:

The problem with this is it is not a fair market place. The government has allowed temporary foreign workers to come in and fill jobs that people would not do for the wages offered. This has helped business's keep wages low, and messed with true market forces.

Lots of temporary foreign workers in Alberta and Saskatchewan prior to the oil crash and those two provinces were and still are first and second highest earners in the Country.

7 hours ago, gurn said:

Agreed. Canadian government has really sold out Canadian workers with the Foreign Worker provisions.  Its a shame that our government allows in  basically exploited labour with no chance to immigrate here.   This is not the Canada that it once was....

On 9/26/2017 at 4:58 PM, kingofsurrey said:

They can but many wont put in the commitment that is required. Warehouse people start out at $14 an hour where I work who have little to no experience.   It's been a revolving door of people who constantly show up late, call in sick, stand around and talk, use their phone, etc. Work ethic is dead. Many have this unrealistic expectation that the job should cater to them.

We work off of profit sharing and newbies are well aware of how much they can make. It is a significant amount of money. Yet they still can't put in the effort.

Archived