The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Around the NHL | January (21-25) 2018

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Mike Smith will replace Jonathan Quick in the All-Star Game.

I guess this depends on whether Quick sticks with his plan to skip out, since it looks like he'll be suspended over it.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/kings-jonathan-quick-will-be-suspended-for-skipping-all-star-game/

5 hours ago, Kragar said:

When I saw this on highlights that night, I thought an Unsportsmanlike call was going to be made.

I don't for a second think that warranted a penalty, it's an emotional game and he was hot about the previous goal being called back.  If he had been up in the ref's face then maybe, but he was in the corner of the rink and it was a good goal.  Not a lot different than when Ovechkin did the thing with the hot stick a few years ago...players get caught up in the moment.  It happens.  

2 minutes ago, skategal said:

I don't for a second think that warranted a penalty, it's an emotional game and he was hot about the previous goal being called back.  If he had been up in the ref's face then maybe, but he was in the corner of the rink and it was a good goal.  Not a lot different than when Ovechkin did the thing with the hot stick a few years ago...players get caught up in the moment.  It happens.  

I agree that he was emotional, but so is the player who throws an F-bomb in the refs direction after a perceived mistake.  Just because it was emotional doesn't mean it shouldn't be punished.

Ovi's hot stick celebration was just that, a celebration, and not the weirdest one I've seen.  On the other hand, Matthews was sending a message.  While positioning was incidental (continuing from where he was when he scored), his goal signal was right next to the ref actually signalling the goal, so it's arguably in his face.  IMO, no different than if a player called for a penalty mimicked a blind person on their way to the box, implying the ref was blind.  Bad form, and lacking in class.

I get that he was angry about the disallowed goal, but actively shaming the refs is different than celebrating.  Whether the refs didn't see it that way, or chose to not punish the Leafs more than they had already, who knows.  

9 minutes ago, Kragar said:

I agree that he was emotional, but so is the player who throws an F-bomb in the refs direction after a perceived mistake.  Just because it was emotional doesn't mean it shouldn't be punished.

Ovi's hot stick celebration was just that, a celebration, and not the weirdest one I've seen.  On the other hand, Matthews was sending a message.  While positioning was incidental (continuing from where he was when he scored), his goal signal was right next to the ref actually signalling the goal, so it's arguably in his face.  IMO, no different than if a player called for a penalty mimicked a blind person on their way to the box, implying the ref was blind.  Bad form, and lacking in class.

I get that he was angry about the disallowed goal, but actively shaming the refs is different than celebrating.  Whether the refs didn't see it that way, or chose to not punish the Leafs more than they had already, who knows.  

Please... If Todd Bertuzzi didn’t get a penalty for getting in a refs face and screaming “does that f’n count” after having a goal overturned then this doesn’t deserve a call either. 

19 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Please... If Todd Bertuzzi didn’t get a penalty for getting in a refs face and screaming “does that f’n count” after having a goal overturned then this doesn’t deserve a call either. 

If Bert swore at a ref like that, I'm surprised he didn't get called.  I agree with your logic.

Matthews getting called or not, I wasn't surprised either way.  It could have easily been done, and it would have been fun to see Babcock explode once again, but if the refs felt Matthews had been punished enough with the first goal being disallowed, that's up to them.  Perhaps the best plan, from a game management perspective.

Still a bonehead thing to do.  We've all seen with Burrows that refs can hold grudges.  They shouldn't, but they're people too.  I'd be curious to know what the ref said to Matthews afterwards.

12 minutes ago, Kragar said:

If Bert swore at a ref like that, I'm surprised he didn't get called.  I agree with your logic.

Matthews getting called or not, I wasn't surprised either way.  It could have easily been done, and it would have been fun to see Babcock explode once again, but if the refs felt Matthews had been punished enough with the first goal being disallowed, that's up to them.  Perhaps the best plan, from a game management perspective.

Still a bonehead thing to do.  We've all seen with Burrows that refs can hold grudges.  They shouldn't, but they're people too.  I'd be curious to know what the ref said to Matthews afterwards.

I personally liked seeing that from Matthews, officials have thick skin I bet the ref has already forgot about this. It was just a celebration done out of frustration and not a terrible one at that. 

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

I personally liked seeing that from Matthews, officials have thick skin I bet the ref has already forgot about this. It was just a celebration done out of frustration and not a terrible one at that. 

As we saw with Boeser last night, there's nothing better than fighting any adversity with a quick, definitive goal.  Must have felt good for Matthews to get some instant retribution, especially over a borderline call like that was.

I'm sure if I was an Avs fan, I would be upset about it, but there's worse things going on to be riled up about.  Like Marchand :) 

Just heard a radio host Fromm Edmonton interviewed on 1040.  Holy Moly!  Things are really nasty in Oilerville.  The fans a EXTREMELY angry with the way things have tumbled downhill, and a wanting serious change.  Sounds a lot like Talbot is playing really bad too.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Just heard a radio host Fromm Edmonton interviewed on 1040.  Holy Moly!  Things are really nasty in Oilerville.  The fans a EXTREMELY angry with the way things have tumbled downhill, and a wanting serious change.  Sounds a lot like Talbot is playing really bad too.  

Nothing new for Oilers fans..they’ll be planning the 2019 Stanley Cup parade once they land first overall pick again. 

Archived