The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kinder Morgan Pipeline Talk

kingofsurrey

On 1/2/2019 at 7:21 AM, Russ said:

Problem still is if they are done in Alberta where theres no pipeline going through BC, you still have to send it via rail to BC to get shipped which is still carbon heavy and costly.

the economics of it work out because you're not shipping 30-40% solvent, its nearly all bitumen. I posted a rail study a few pages back with the numbers. 

I love the puck idea, solves many issues. 

25 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

So the ones dying off are doing so because of a nonexistent pipeline expansion? Interesting

Essentially any boat traffic &^@#s with sea life.An increase in boats any boats is bad for the fish. 

11 minutes ago, Violator said:

Essentially any boat traffic &^@#s with sea life.An increase in boats any boats is bad for the fish. 

It seems more like over fishing is the issue. Lack of food and obviously all the fishing boats that go along with it. I’m not saying another boat is not going to hurt the orca population but this expansion proposal is definitely not where the fingers should be pointed. The fishing industry is one of the worst problems in the world. There will always be boat traffic for cargo going across oceans but the fishing industry could sure use some changes.

3 minutes ago, Butters7 said:

It seems more like over fishing is the issue. Lack of food and obviously all the fishing boats that go along with it. I’m not saying another boat is not going to hurt the orca population but this expansion proposal is definitely not where the fingers should be pointed. The fishing industry is one of the worst problems in the world. There will always be boat traffic for cargo going across oceans but the fishing industry could sure use some changes.

absolutely , ,but a little more complex with the sports sector ,native food fish ,Alaskans targeting salmon bound for Canadian rivers....not unlike the forest industrys arugument of sustainability , the tanker traffic increase is viewed  not only by the radical fringe but coastal residents that have seen the decline in stocks (forests logged etc)  fighting for the very survival of what remains, them already having been through the industrial resource extraction, and learning albeit to late.

11 minutes ago, Butters7 said:

Pipeline expansion and the subusquent expansion of shipping is easy pickings though.

3 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

So the ones dying off are doing so because of a nonexistent pipeline expansion? Interesting

Not sure you understand the INCREDIBLE  importance of the Southern Orca's to BC culture / history / tourism / first nations culture ? 

23 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Pretty sure the environmental impact of tanker traffic on Orca's will be looked at before KMP expansion goes ahead........

Are they dying off now? 

Last time I checked there was no pipeline expansion. Shouldn't you and gurn be finding a industry to blame?

48 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Are they dying off now? 

Last time I checked there was no pipeline expansion. Shouldn't you and gurn be finding a industry to blame?

Yes of course. Hopefully fish farm new regs may help though...

Perhaps new regs for whale watching tours could be helpful as well.....

How do you feel about a seal cull on the west coast ?   

Do you think that the Orca's will benefit from increased tanker traffic ... maybe they enjoy interacting with large tankers....? 

Edited by kingofsurrey

17 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the economics of it work out because you're not shipping 30-40% solvent, its nearly all bitumen. I posted a rail study a few pages back with the numbers. 

I love the puck idea, solves many issues. 

Thats true I forgot it got diluted to move thru the pipelines.

10 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yes of course. Hopefully fish farm new regs may help though...

Perhaps new regs for whale watching tours could be helpful as well.....

How do you feel about a seal cull on the west coast ?   

Do you think that the Orca's will benefit from increased tanker traffic ... maybe they enjoy interacting with large tankers....? 

Oh I hope they make fish farms land locked.  Go find some industrial land and build a giant pool there.  

Also seal cull is needed, they are slowly wiping out our salmon runs because of over population.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Thats true I forgot it got diluted to move thru the pipelines.

Its also cheaper because you don't need heated rail cars either, so the cost to ramp up rail capacity is also far cheaper. So e.g., what Notely is investing in now in heated car capacity could be nearly doubled if they were moving pucks just on a car to car comparison. I don't know the cost difference between conventional cars and heated cars, but thats also another way to maximize the investment and production volume, but I'm not sure by how much. 

One bitumen barrel makes 600 pellets. An open-top rail car can carry about 615 barrels worth of heavy crude as pellets, once the polymer is extracted. This compares with the 390 barrels of heavy crude in a tank car, not including the dilutive chemicals.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-cn-pushes-ahead-with-puck-sized-bitumen-for-rail-transport/

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Like 1

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

One would think true environmentalists wouldn't support increased rail traffic over a pipeline.

colour me practical. 

Sure there will be people that don't like the pucks, but there's a real economic argument for them.