The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next Year's Line Up?

TheGuardian_

Based on this year's TDL, statements from Linden/Benning regarding the Sedins, signed contracts, waiver eligibility and cap constraints and barring draft day deals or possible Boeser like draft picks.

Signed forwards that need waivers

Horvat

Boeser

Sutter

Gagner

Eriksson

Goldoblin

Guance

Motte - needs 16 games

Leipsic

Unsigned forwards will all need waivers

Baertschi

Granlund

Virtanen

Defence signed

Edler

Tanev

Gudbranson

Hutton

Del Zotto

Unsigned Defence

Stecher

Biega

Pouliet

So if these players are signed and the Sedins want to come back for one year;

In no order or lines, just names of estimated contracted players;

Henrik - Daniel - Eriksson

Boeser - Horvat - Baertschi

Guance  - Sutter - Gagner

Virtanen - Leipsic - Motte

Goldoblin - (Dowd, Archibald)

Edler - Gudbranson

Tanev - Hutton

Stecher - Del Zotto

Biega - Pouliet

Goalies

Not signing any of the above risk either losing them for nothing (FA) or even RFA's if they don't offer contracts.

Players with waiver requirements could be lost and cost the team half their salaries.

11 minutes ago, lmm said:

where do you get the idea that we pay 1/2 the players salary if they are lost on waivers?

Waiver rule. That and a player cannot be waived twice in one year and if picked up must play on the team.

That is why I was astounded that the Canucks traded for a waiver player, all they had to do was say "over here" and the BJ's would have paid 1/2 his remaining salary and not traded anything for him.

23 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Not that it matters at all, but shouldn't Boeser not  require waivers?

There is no way he would be sent to the minors except for conditioning, yes I missed that I just figured it was too far out to consider

27 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Dahlin 

Need any comment about him? Apples and Oranges, cut anyone for a spot, but Canucks would likely leave him in his league another year as they should Petersson.

Any player at any time could be cut loose to make room, it is just asset management, which it appears room will be necessary.

But this list, with the exception of the Sedins, is just a current contracted and probable to be re-signed players already on the team. 

14 minutes ago, shazzam said:

I would like to move on without the Sedins. Same with Edler, management needs to get him to waive his NTC. We need to get faster and hungrier. This is not a vacation home

You don't see many Swedes, at least I haven't really looked, that waive contracts conditions. The cup seems like it is not he same for them as it is for North Americans, national team, world cup and Olympics appear to mean much more. Over here it is a job, maybe fun that they perform to the best of their ability.

Maybe that is why Lindstrom was the first European captain in the history of the NHL to win a cup.

Edler will wave if asked at the TDL next year, family first, the Sedins said the same thing, if asked, they didn't say they would wave outright, but have said many times that trades are part of hockey and they accept that. Doesn't matter now.

I don't think Edler is so bad, certainly not the same player as before his back operation or the three suspensions and now over played, but not bad.

33 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

That is why I was astounded that the Canucks traded for a waiver player, all they had to do was say "over here" and the BJ's would have paid 1/2 his remaining salary and not traded anything for him.

You actually think Benning was trading for Jussi? No, he was trading for the prospect. Jussi was the cost of getting the deal done. Perspective.

6 minutes ago, Baggins said:

You actually think Benning was trading for Jussi? No, he was trading for the prospect. Jussi was the cost of getting the deal done. Perspective.

Jussi is window dressing, they could have got him for half price off the wavier wire for nothing.

That prospect is a 5 year pro that couldn't crack their line up, just goes to show how bad the Nucks are. This GM won't even move his own prospects up that have been in the system for 4 years.

And the kid isn't a prospect any more, he is an AHL player not as good as Vey and a lot daintier.

4 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Jussi is window dressing, they could have got him for half price off the wavier wire for nothing.

Which should tell you he wasn't what Benning wanted. Dur!

5 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

That prospect is a 5 year pro that couldn't crack their line up, just goes to show how bad the Nucks are. This GM won't even move his own prospects up that have been in the system for 4 years.

And the kid isn't a prospect any more, he is an AHL player not as good as Vey and a lot daintier.

Kid is about to turn 23, of course he's still a prospect.

10 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Which should tell you he wasn't what Benning wanted. Dur!

Kid is about to turn 23, of course he's still a prospect.

It isn't age that determines a prospect, it is experience and years as a professional. He has a number of paid games under his belt. The reason he isn't full time is his size, which is not really a good enough reason but some teams look the grind of the playoffs and he isn't constructed to be that physical that long.

No matter what people say, size matters and barring that, durability, endurance and recovery. In five years as a pro he hasn't come close to his pre draft numbers, some kids grow into their bodies early and out perform those that are still growing, hence big numbers in junior but failing when playing big players that have grown into their bodies.

That is why when we select the junior teams for Canada, we want kids that duck to come into the room, we can teach them to skate, genetics (another word for fathers) and of course talent that transcends like Gretzky, we used to show his picture for the scouts.

4 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Pettersson Horvat Boeser

Baertschi Sutter Virtanen

Sedin Sedin Gaudette

Gaunce Ganger Eriksson

Leipsic

(Dowd waived, Archibald waived, Biega waived, Goldobin waived or Russia)

Stetcher Tanev

Edler Gudbranson

Pouliot Del Zotto

Hutton

Markstrom

Nilsson

Only existing players, Benning said they will sit down with Gaudette/parents to see if he wants to sign at all. If they waive Godoblin Ottawa or some other team could pick him up and then the Nucks are losing out in asset value of the trade that brought him here. The last thing a rebuilding team's management wants is throwing away assets for nothing even if it is to go to Russia. 

16 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Only existing players, Benning said they will sit down with Gaudette/parents to see if he wants to sign at all. If they waive Godoblin Ottawa or some other team could pick him up and then the Nucks are losing out in asset value of the trade that brought him here. The last thing a rebuilding team's management wants is throwing away assets for nothing even if it is to go to Russia. 

Gaudette will want to sign on Boeser treatment this year and knock a year off his entry deal. Two thirds of his line will of graduated, he won the beanpot, most likely the hobey baker award as well. He’s got nothing to go back for. Gaudette and Pettersson during preseason will look like 2 of our better players and force Bennings hand in keeping them both up. I think Bennings keeping everybody and not trading will eventually bite him and we lose a guy like Goldobin for nothing. I don’t want it to happen it’s just what I see happening. Wasted chances wasted assets.

8 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Gaudette will want to sign on Boeser treatment this year and knock a year off his entry deal. Two thirds of his line will of graduated, he won the beanpot, most likely the hobey baker award as well. He’s got nothing to go back for. Gaudette and Pettersson during preseason will look like 2 of our better players and force Bennings hand in keeping them both up. I think Bennings keeping everybody and not trading will eventually bite him and we lose a guy like Goldobin for nothing. I don’t want it to happen it’s just what I see happening. Wasted chances wasted assets.

They said the same thing about Vesey, sooner or later that will happen again, he might lose 900g's one year but he makes that up in year 3 as a pro, double or more if he is good.

Gaudette already said that he was going back to win the final four, if they win it this year he MIGHT sign with the Canucks, but this is a kid that turned down a full scholarship to play for Northeastern and stay in the Boston area. Benning said they will talk to him and his parents to see IF he wants to come here when this college year is done, Benning also said he would go to the AHL which is a lot less money, 90% less.

Pettersson is still only 170 lbs or so, still pretty light for board/corner work 

41 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

It isn't age that determines a prospect, it is experience and years as a professional. He has a number of paid games under his belt. The reason he isn't full time is his size, which is not really a good enough reason but some teams look the grind of the playoffs and he isn't constructed to be that physical that long.

No matter what people say, size matters and barring that, durability, endurance and recovery. In five years as a pro he hasn't come close to his pre draft numbers, some kids grow into their bodies early and out perform those that are still growing, hence big numbers in junior but failing when playing big players that have grown into their bodies.

That is why when we select the junior teams for Canada, we want kids that duck to come into the room, we can teach them to skate, genetics (another word for fathers) and of course talent that transcends like Gretzky, we used to show his picture for the scouts.

He's still young and yet to play a full season in the NHL. I call that a prospect.

February 2018 - After sticking in Columbus largely due to Jacket injuries, Motte has seen NHL ice more than AHL ice this campaign. With three goals and two assists in 31 contests he didn't kill it on the scoreboard and, after dropping under ten minutes TOI he was reassigned to Cleveland in late January, He continues to build a pro reputation as someone who stands up for teammates and does the dirty work. A month short of his 23rd birthday, he still has time to prove he can score in the bigs. Kevin Wickersham

https://dobberprospects.com/tyler-motte/

3 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

They said the same thing about Vesey, sooner or later that will happen again, he might lose 900g's one year but he makes that up in year 3 as a pro, double or more if he is good.

Gaudette already said that he was going back to win the final four, if they win it this year he MIGHT sign with the Canucks, but this is a kid that turned down a full scholarship to play for Northeastern and stay in the Boston area. Benning said they will talk to him and his parents to see IF he wants to come here when this college year is done, Benning also said he would go to the AHL which is a lot less money, 90% less.

Pettersson is still only 170 lbs or so, still pretty light for board/corner work 

Dylan Sikura (2nd on team in points) and Nolan Stevens (3rd) graduate there is no way Northeastern is anywhere close to as good next year with those two gone. Only way I could really see Gaudette returning is if he has a huge desire to set Northeastern records for points and goals. A lot of players in the league play at Petterssons current weight. He’s so skilled I just don’t think it matters. I think he’s already proving that to a degree with what he’s accomplishing against men in the SHL this season. Ideally you’d like him to add weight (muscle) but if he doesn’t and he’s your best player in preseason are you keeping him off your team?

15 minutes ago, Baggins said:

He's still young and yet to play a full season in the NHL. I call that a prospect.

February 2018 - After sticking in Columbus largely due to Jacket injuries, Motte has seen NHL ice more than AHL ice this campaign. With three goals and two assists in 31 contests he didn't kill it on the scoreboard and, after dropping under ten minutes TOI he was reassigned to Cleveland in late January, He continues to build a pro reputation as someone who stands up for teammates and does the dirty work. A month short of his 23rd birthday, he still has time to prove he can score in the bigs. Kevin Wickersham

https://dobberprospects.com/tyler-motte/

I am confused, stands up for team mates? He has a total of 47 penalty minutes since 2015, 5' 9", 180 lbs. Yeah I remember Gary Howatt and Stan Jonathon, Domi wasn't tall either but this kid hasn't shown, at least in penalties, that he is anything except a Lady Byng candidate.

Both pick ups today were the opposite of what Benning said they wanted 4 years ago and just one week ago.

What do you see as his top end? Bottom 3, 6? top 3, 6? His stats show him to be not enough, maybe like Tambellini, a cup of coffee. Certainly not a core prospect or a veteran leader.

2 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Waiver rule. That and a player cannot be waived twice in one year and if picked up must play on the team.

There is no way he would be sent to the minors except for conditioning, yes I missed that I just figured it was too far out to consider

Need any comment about him? Apples and Oranges, cut anyone for a spot, but Canucks would likely leave him in his league another year as they should Petersson.

Any player at any time could be cut loose to make room, it is just asset management, which it appears room will be necessary.

But this list, with the exception of the Sedins, is just a current contracted and probable to be re-signed players already on the team. 

Re waivers. 

For players in the AHL - anything in excess of 1.025M counts against the cap (next year the number is 1.05M).  See Moulson with Buffalo - his cap hit is 5M but as he is in the AHL he counts for 3.975M against the cap: https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/sabres

There's no limit on how many times a player can be waived but it does allow them to be claimed by another team.  

Boucher was waived 3 times before being picked up by the Canucks - New Jersey, Nashville, New Jersey again and the Canucks then picked him up.  Chaput was waived twice this season - at the start of the season to send him to Utica and then again more recently because he had spent 30 days on the roster.  It's the earliest between 30 days or 10 NHL games.  Some teams even waive players before they again require waivers to reset the clock. 

Benning wants competition.  He is not going to a gift a spot to players who don't deserve it.  He waived Etem who was claimed by Anaheim.  He waived Corrado who got claimed by Toronto.

Archived