The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

In a defence Heavy Draft (proposals)

18 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Thanks CC

I don't disagree with your thinking

But I have tried to champion the notion that moving 1 good defenseman for another while picking up assets, is a good idea....

Now you may be thinking that Carlson doesn't want to come here, and you may very well be right......but I think we need to try

I don't think it is a secret when a players wants to move on for a bigger pay day......most times it is almost public information that he is willing to talk to a particular team

It won't come from Benning, but the agent may let everyone know............and no one in particular

There by avoiding any meddling charges by certain teams....

I don't think it is any secret that the Canucks already need to replace Dmen

Just my 5 cents worth

I think you can get Carlson to come here, but you wont like the term that he will require.  Someone will give him 6 years 100%.  I dont want any free agent ever at 6 years.

On 21/03/2018 at 6:57 PM, Crabcakes said:

@janisahockeynut  You shouldn't get flamed.  I think a lot of people are thinking something similar is what should happen.

I don't think that your proposals will happen.  Management is going to be very careful after this free fall

1.  Tanev is a very important player and will be invaluable for future development.  He makes every player he is paired with better

2.  33 OA + Baertchi to move up 5 to 8 spots is rich imo (but would depend on the actual player available and would be a draft floor move if it happened imo).  But, Baer is an important piece in the medium term.  He may not be a core piece or may eventually be seen as expendable as a supporting piece but they are going to need him over the next couple of years especially when the Sedin's retire.  He puts up points at a little over a 0.5 ppg rate which is just fine for a 2nd line winger.

Bigger picture, defensive prospects are thin but not quite that bleak.  I'm going to name Pouliot as a prospect because he is still in the process of rounding into form.  There's Juolevi, Briesbois and Chatfield.  Thin yes, not empty.

Having said all that, if nothing happens, I would like to see at least 2 of the Canucks top 3 picks as defensemen and at least 4 of 6 is likely 

Is pouliot going to be better? Seems he has levelled off. Peaked maybe.  Seems pretty blah to me. 

9 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

Is pouliot going to be better? Seems he has levelled off. Peaked maybe.  Seems pretty blah to me. 

Pouliot is 24, just turned in Jan and has 132 NHL games.  Development is never linear.  I think it's likely that he gets better but nobody can tell the future.

I still stand by my original premise that trading assets...aka Tanev and Baertschi and acquiring extra 1st round picks, which could be used to pick defensive prospects would be a smart move long term for the Canucks..............like I said we would be 15 months away from a complete prospect rebuild that would be second to none............

Imagining a 2018 NHL Draft of Boqvist, Dobson, Smith, Woo draft would be insane

and adding 

Petterson and a Lind quality players in the 2019 draft, would be an incredible finishing touch

I think that is where you would be, with a couple more drafts in around the mid 1st's the following years to cap it off

I personally, am not looking at this short term, as our long term depth would be crazy and would allow us extreme flexibility, in trades and drafting,

not to mention the filling in with the odd UFA............

Note* At some point down the road, your young NHL players and developing assets allow you to pick and choose trades that improve you and

moving a 1st round pick 5 years from now, doesn't sound so disgusting, if your coffers are already full............

That is the kind of foundation and organization I would like to see.......

Archived