The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN / NJD Trade (To help Cory Schneider)

New Jersey Devils recieve:

Chris Tanev

Brandan Gaunce (swap him with any c or b- prospect)

Vancouver Canucks recieve:

Damon Severson

1st Round Pick (16-20 range likely)

This gives NJ help perhaps uniting Chris Tanev back with Cory will help his game. They were the two youngest players on our 2011 team and continued to be teammates until Cory was traded. 

PerhapsTanev's steady play and possible friendship can help NJ out. Severson has apparently been a scratch for a few games these playoffs. He's is less than a year older then Bo. Right handed D. Excelled early on in his career. Played hockey in the whl born in Sask.

Very steady good puck moving D having some struggles in the post season.  Might be worth a flyer plus a topic pick. I got a feeling a player of higher potential may be required than Gaunce but Severson does have a big contract so factor that in. (5 years @ 4.166 mill left at the start of next year)

I am assuming they were good buddies being the only 2 young guys on the team during our peak and the years that followed.

I could see Lepisic being a guy they like. But I would rather trade Baertschi.  Maybe a bigger deal of Tanev + Baer for Severson + 1st + 2 x 3rd gets it done.

I think that is reasonable value.  

My only concern would be that we'd be a defensive mess.  Gudbranson can't handle the workload or even requirement of being a shutdown guy, so we've have to find someone else to be our matchup guy against the opposition's top lines.

I do think this would be a step towards a blueline that can actually score though, which is a plus.

I like the idea of trading the pair of Tanev and Baertschi. And I always thought that NJ was prime for a couple of trades. They addressed that this trade deadline.

I do have a small couple of issues with the proposal. NJ is on the upswing and they are looking to add to their young guys. Trading Damon Severson who is one of the guys they lean on D for Tanev is counterproductive. They'd probably want both of them on the team. At the moment they have Vatanen and Severson as the two top righties, and so I suppose it makes sense to switch with Severson. Still, for the time that Tanev is injured, they don't really have anyone that can replace Tanev's minutes, and acquiring Tanev to take Lovejoy out of the line-up is more of a trade deadline luxury than a good move for them, even if it'd be awesome to see a Butcher-Tanev pairing. 

They're also pretty set at LW at the moment. The time to trade Baertschi, or even Gaunce for that matter has passed. The emergence of Bratt, the trade for Graber..
I don't think we are good trading partners. 

On that note, I'd love to have Severson. I don't think he is available and if he is, then Tanev might not be enough to get Severson alone. 

36 minutes ago, Brobidus said:

I like the idea of trading the pair of Tanev and Baertschi. And I always thought that NJ was prime for a couple of trades. They addressed that this trade deadline.

I do have a small couple of issues with the proposal. NJ is on the upswing and they are looking to add to their young guys. Trading Damon Severson who is one of the guys they lean on D for Tanev is counterproductive. They'd probably want both of them on the team. At the moment they have Vatanen and Severson as the two top righties, and so I suppose it makes sense to switch with Severson. Still, for the time that Tanev is injured, they don't really have anyone that can replace Tanev's minutes, and acquiring Tanev to take Lovejoy out of the line-up is more of a trade deadline luxury than a good move for them, even if it'd be awesome to see a Butcher-Tanev pairing. 

They're also pretty set at LW at the moment. The time to trade Baertschi, or even Gaunce for that matter has passed. The emergence of Bratt, the trade for Graber..
I don't think we are good trading partners. 

On that note, I'd love to have Severson. I don't think he is available and if he is, then Tanev might not be enough to get Severson alone. 

Yeah I never would of proposed this if it hadn't been for the fact Ray Ferraro said he had been scratched in these playoffs. Which is mind-blowing to think in the  playoffs  at the start of the season given their lineup .  Maybe he just needs a reset and the scratch will help him focus. I don't know the extend of the scratching one game or more.

Sounds like the biggest knock against Severson is "poor hockey instincts". Poor decision making. Tanev would help their porous defense, if he can stay healthy. Are they willing to gamble a 23 year old with some upside and a 1st for a guy that has played 70+ games in a season once in his career, that brings less offense than the guy you are shipping out, and he brings next to no physicality? Maybe we can throw them Hutton instead of Gaunce. Lol.

And Severson has only been scratched for one of the 2 games the Devils have played. Which is still bad but for the sake of being accurate there's that.

31 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Sounds like the biggest knock against Severson is "poor hockey instincts". Poor decision making. Tanev would help their porous defense, if he can stay healthy. Are they willing to gamble a 23 year old with some upside and a 1st for a guy that has played 70+ games in a season once in his career, that brings less offense than the guy you are shipping out, and he brings next to no physicality? Maybe we can throw them Hutton instead of Gaunce. Lol.

And Severson has only been scratched for one of the 2 games the Devils have played. Which is still bad but for the sake of being accurate there's that.

Appreciate the scratch insight. ^^

nah i'd prefer to trade for schneids

and keep tanev to help shneids here

and move our goalies (or one of them) to nj in return

along with whatever else i might take

2 years of schneids mentoring demko would be a very good thing

2 years of them sharing the crease somewhat evenly would burn off schneids contract

or he could be moved in year 3 as well if demko is solidly ready

5 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Chris Tanev

Damon Severson

I don't think NJ would trade their first or Severson. Just like Brobidus said " Trading Damon Severson who is one of the guys they lean on D for Tanev is counterproductive. "

Chris Tanev

Santini, Steven  & Lucia, Mario

or

,Mcleod, Michael

56 minutes ago, Sundstrom17 said:

I don't think NJ would trade their first or Severson. Just like Brobidus said " Trading Damon Severson who is one of the guys they lean on D for Tanev is counterproductive. "

Chris Tanev

Santini, Steven  & Lucia, Mario

or

,Mcleod, Michael

Pass. If it were my decision. They probably don't want to give up on him yet. But who knows Shero is known for making deals if he feels it helps his team. Tanev probably ends up elsewhere tho.

7 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Pass. If it were my decision. They probably don't want to give up on him yet. But who knows Shero is known for making deals if he feels it helps his team. Tanev probably ends up elsewhere tho.

Give up on who?

And as  i recall it was your decision to trade Tanev. I just made it more acceptable from NJ's point of view.

2 hours ago, coastal.view said:

nah i'd prefer to trade for schneids

and keep tanev to help shneids here

and move our goalies (or one of them) to nj in return

along with whatever else i might take

2 years of schneids mentoring demko would be a very good thing

2 years of them sharing the crease somewhat evenly would burn off schneids contract

or he could be moved in year 3 as well if demko is solidly ready

I would assume the price for Schnides would be something in the realm of Bo Horvat.

9 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Chris Tanev

Damon Severson

This gives NJ help perhaps uniting Chris Tanev back with Cory will help his game. They were the two youngest players on our 2011 team and continued to be teammates until Cory was traded. 

PerhapsTanev's steady play and possible friendship can help NJ out. Severson has apparently been a scratch for a few games these playoffs. He's is less than a year older then Bo. Right handed D. Excelled early on in his career. Played hockey in the whl born in Sask.

Very steady good puck moving D having some struggles in the post season.  Might be worth a flyer plus a topic pick. I got a feeling a player of higher potential may be required than Gaunce but Severson does have a big contract so factor that in. (5 years @ 4.166 mill left at the start of next year)

I like your trade.

I have my own opinion that Tanev may not command that return at this stage? Played only half the games. Had 11 points? They also could elevate Santini who is a younger version of Tanev IMO.  So paying an asset like a first might not make sense?  Severson on the other hand, is in Santini's way for TOI. 

Severson is a decent target. They also have Vatanen & Butcher to handle the puck. So his use as a puck handler, point getter is diminished. A good target for them to move.

How about Baertschi for Severson?

- They could use a 2LW / 3 LW with Grabner moving on.  He fits their play style. 

- We could use a RH PMD.

5 hours ago, Sundstrom17 said:

Give up on who?

And as  i recall it was your decision to trade Tanev. I just made it more acceptable from NJ's point of view

Tanev would never go for those pieces. Totally unrealistic from Vancouver's perspective. If that were the case Vancouver would just find a different trade partner.

McLeod's ok but we don't really need what he is. Plus Tanev has more value then McLeod. Others are not worth our time.

54 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I would assume the price for Schnides would be something in the realm of Bo Horvat.

no bloody way

nj has lost confidence in schneids

he is diminishing

bo is still improving

they got 5 years of schneids peak performance years

he is not the asset he was

and nj knows it

they went with another goalie the first 2 playoff games

they have made it clear what they think of schneids current value

as a result, his present contract, is a bit of anchor

On 4/16/2018 at 7:00 PM, Rush17 said:

Tanev would never go for those pieces. Totally unrealistic from Vancouver's perspective. If that were the case Vancouver would just find a different trade partner.

McLeod's ok but we don't really need what he is. Plus Tanev has more value then McLeod. Others are not worth our time.

Tanev would go for those pieces... realistically. You are overvaluing Tanev. LIke what Canuck Surfer said ``Tanev may not command that return at this stage? Played only half the games. Had 11 points?`` Yes he is worth more to us then to any other team, but his injuries have probably brought his value down.

McLeod is what we need... a scoring center (a 1st round pick) is exactly what we need. Santini (who should have been a 1st round pick) is a hard-hitting, shut-down top prospect defenseman. Maybe brush up on NJ`s prospects before you assume they aren`t good enough for us.

Archived