The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Projected Future Roster ('21 or '22) & Spots To Be Filled

Here's mine (BTW an X is a spot that should be filled)

X - Horvat/Pettersson - Boeser

Dahlen - Horvat/Pettersson - X

Leipsic - Gaudette - X/Virtanen

Goldobin/Gadjovich - MacEwen - Lind/Eriksson

Edler - 2018 7th overall

Juolevi - X

Pouliot/Brisebois - Gudbransson/Stecher

Demko

Markstrom/DiPietro

Possible Trades:

Tanev - 1st round pick + decent prospect

Baertschi - 1st or early 2nd round pick

Granlund - late 2nd or 3rd round pick

Del Zotto - late 2nd or 3rd round pick

Gagner - late 2nd or 3rd round pick

Nilsson - 3rd or 4th round pick

Hutton - late 3rd or 4th round pick

Notable Utica Players:

Boucher

Gaunce

2018 37th overall

Jasek

Biega

Sautner

Motte

Chaput

No this won't be the roster as there will be trades, UFA signings, what have you... but it's still interesting to think of.

Feel free to comment your opinions and your own rosters.

23 minutes ago, Canuck_Drums03 said:

Buyouts:

Eriksson                                                                                       1/2 year from now * Expasion Draft Protected 

X - Horvat/Pettersson - Boeser                                                     Kane - Pettersson - Boeser..................Line 1 a

Dahlen - Horvat/Pettersson - X/Virtanen                                        Goldobin - Horvat - Eriksson...............Line 1 b

Leipsic - Gaudette - X/Virtanen                                                       Leipsic - Sutter - Virtanen..................Line 3 a

Goldobin/Gadjovich - MacEwen - Lind                                              Motte - Gaudette - Lind.....................Line 3 b

X/Juolevi - 2018 7th overall                                                                   Edler - Tanev..............................#1 pairing

X/Juolevi - X/Stecher                                                                         Brisebois - Tryamkin.......................Defensive pairing   

Pouliot/Brisebois - X/Stecher                                                                Sautner - Stecher.........................Versitile pairing

Juolevi - Gudbranson....................Steady pairing

Demko                                                                                               McEneny - Chatfield........................Probable 3rd pairing

Markstrom/DiPietro                                                                                     

Markstrom  

Trade:                                                                                                            Demko

Baertschi - 1st or early 2nd round pick                                                           Trade:

Edler - 1st or 2nd round pick                                                                         Baertschi....................2018 draft - mid 2nd + 4th

Granlund - late 2nd or 3rd round pick                                                              MDZ....................... .2018 draft - mid 2nd

Del Zotto - late 2nd or 3rd round pick                                                             Hutton.......................2019 3rd

Gudbransson - late 2nd or 3rd round pick                                                     Granlund....................2019 3rd

Nilsson - 3rd or 4th round pick                                                                        Nilsson......................bag of pucks

Hutton - late 3rd or 4th round pick                                                                  Goldobin....................

Notable Utica Players:                                                                                    Notable Futures

Boucher                                                                                                           Gadjovich....................3 year project - lot of potential.........will need time in Utica

Gaunce                                                                                                            Dahlen........................Good enough to Start on the big club,,,,,1st call up

2018 37th overall                                                                                             2018 7th OA...............Dobson/Hughes/Bouchard/Boqvist,,,,,,still in junior

Jasek                                                                                                                2018 37 OA...............Should be another Dman........still in junior

Biega                                                                                                                DiPietro......................A future goalie..........start 1st year in Utica

Sautner                                                                                                             Baertschi Trade.........A forward..................still in junior

Motte                                                                                                                 MDZ Trade................A forward..................still in junior

Chaput

* No offense, but I have put a lot of these out there, and unless you sign more UFA's..........it is a very, very shallow lineup......and will be at the bottom of the

league

Please note.......my line up is no better than yours and we will loose players to Expansion, Waivers, and not coming over from the KHL

Basically the World is doomed!

Not in the least bit realistic.  

First of all. Ericksson’s contract is pretty much buy-out proof.  I encourage you to check it out.  Vancouver saves almost nothing buying him out. 

Second.  Show me a team that has traded 8 roster players in one offseason (let alone one that trades away 5 of their current D corp). Also. What happened to Gagner? Abducted by aliens?

Finally, you have young players that have yet to set foot on NHL ice pencilled into key spots on the top lines.  A top D pairing of Juolevi and this years 1st? No.

Pettersson, Dahlen  Lind, MacEwen and Gadjovich are all suddenly productive, reliable NHLers? Doubt it. 

You  need to scale back your expectations.  A LOT. 

10 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Not in the least bit realistic.  

First of all. Ericksson’s contract is pretty much buy-out proof.  I encourage you to check it out.  Vancouver saves almost nothing buying him out. 

Second.  Show me a team that has traded 8 roster players in one offseason (let alone one that trades away 5 of their current D corp). Also. What happened to Gagner? Abducted by aliens?

Finally, you have young players that have yet to set foot on NHL ice pencilled into key spots on the top lines.  A top D pairing of Juolevi and this years 1st? No.

Pettersson, Dahlen  Lind, MacEwen and Gadjovich are all suddenly productive, reliable NHLers? Doubt it. 

You  need to scale back your expectations.  A LOT. 

So Eriksson doesn't get bought out... oh well. It is extremely obvious how much of a remake our defence needs, so trading away key players for picks and prospects wouldn't hurt. Players like Lind, Dahlen, Gadjovich, etc. could all become players within the next few years. Also keep in mind that I never said "next season's roster", so this could easily be something like a '21 or '22 roster.

6 minutes ago, Canuck_Drums03 said:

So Eriksson doesn't get bought out... oh well. It is extremely obvious how much of a remake our defence needs, so trading away key players for picks and prospects wouldn't hurt. Players like Lind, Dahlen, Gadjovich, etc. could all become players within the next few years. Also keep in mind that I never said "next season's roster", so this could easily be something like a '21 or '22 roster.

Even then.  Your proposal is extremely unlikely.  Go back 5 or 6 years and look at people’s projected  lineups.  You’ll see names like Cassells, Subban, Jensen, Gaunce, Schroeder, Shinkaruk.  

Fans want to assume prospects are always going to hit their ceilings and be core pieces for the team moving forward.  Truth is, for every 1 Boeser there’s 10 Shinkaruk’s.  

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Even then.  Your proposal is extremely unlikely.  Go back 5 or 6 years and look at people’s projected  lineups.  You’ll see names like Cassells, Subban, Jensen, Gaunce, Schroeder, Shinkaruk.  

Fans want to assume prospects are always going to hit their ceilings and be core pieces for the team moving forward.  Truth is, for every 1 Boeser there’s 10 Shinkaruk’s.  

So the way I see it, you judge people's roster projections on how inaccurate past projections were? I'm not saying that this will be the future... but the direction it looks to be headed.

Just now, Canuck_Drums03 said:

So the way I see it, you judge people's roster projections on how inaccurate past projections were? I'm not saying that this will be the future... but the direction it looks to be headed.

No. I’m saying you are being HIGHLY unrealistic in your expectations.   

26 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

No. I’m saying you are being HIGHLY unrealistic in your expectations.   

Because I'm saying that some of our top prospects are playing on the 1st or 2nd lines and other prospects that MAY make the NHL in years to come are on the bottom lines... correct?

23 hours ago, Canuck_Drums03 said:

Because I'm saying that some of our top prospects are playing on the 1st or 2nd lines and other prospects that MAY make the NHL in years to come are on the bottom lines... correct?

No. Because you expect the team to move 5 of the current D Corp, buy out a contract that offers no savings to the team, and expect a bunch of prospects who have yet to show they are NHL players to be the new core of the team.  Find me an example where a team makes 8 trades in one offseason and then not only do all their top prospects make the team within  2 years. But become keys pieces for the team. Yes. A few of those guys will undoubtedly make it. A few more will be traded. And a few more will never make the transition. There could also be prospects that come out of left field.  To plan a roster based largely on futures is a crap shoot at best. 

Again I’ll refer to peoples assumed rosters from a few years back.  Today’s team doesn’t even remotely resemble what people projected. 

2 hours ago, Canuck_Drums03 said:

Buyouts:

Eriksson

Dahlen - Horvat/Pettersson - X/Virtanen

Goldobin/Gadjovich - MacEwen - Lind

X/Juolevi - 2018 7th overall

X/Juolevi - X/Stecher

Pouliot/Brisebois - X/Stecher

Demko

Markstrom/DiPietro

Trade:

Baertschi - 1st or early 2nd round pick

Edler - 1st or 2nd round pick

Granlund - late 2nd or 3rd round pick

Del Zotto - late 2nd or 3rd round pick

Gudbransson - late 2nd or 3rd round pick

Nilsson - 3rd or 4th round pick

Hutton - late 3rd or 4th round pick

Notable Utica Players:

Boucher

Gaunce

2018 37th overall

Jasek

Biega

Sautner

Motte

Chaput

Feel free to comment your opinions and your own rosters.

#1, Eriksson won't get bought out, he brings leadership even if he's not currently bringing goals.

#2, Its a bad idea to trade away all depth on the team and then just hope that these picks develop into NHL players. Past the first round, you have about 30% chance and in steady decline, of a player actually making the NHL in any meaningful way.

#3, See #1, its not happening. Thought it was important enough to mention twice...

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

No. Because you expect the team to move 5 of the current D Corp, buy out a. I Tracy that offers no savings to the team, and expect a bunch of prospects who have yet to show they are NHL players to be the new core of the team.  Find me an example where a team makes 8 trades in one offseason and then not only do all their top prospects make the team witching 2 years. But become keys pieces for the team. Yes. A few of those guys will undoubtedly make it. A few more will be traded. And a few more will never make the transition. There could also be prospects that come out of left field.  To plan a roster based largely on futures is a crap shoot at best. 

Again I’ll refer to peoples assumed rosters from a few years back.  Today’s team doesn’t even remotely resemble what people projected.

Again, this is not for next season so the whole "8 trades in one offseason" thing doesn't make sense. I don't see the 4th line being a place where you would play "key pieces". Prospects like Pettersson, Juolevi, and Dahlen have not proven themselves at the NHL level yet... fine, but odds are that they will in years to come and could all become big name players. I have already admit that Eriksson being bought out may not be the most realistic, and the defence trades may not be either, although all of their names have come up in trade rumors. The entire point of a projecion is to PROJECT which players will make it and which possibly be traded... not guarantee.

Yeah no way much of this is realistic.

7th overall into a no 1 defense role? 

A lot of pressure for the young players to make the team as rookies...

Erickson a 6mil 4th liner? Never mind a buyout

Granlund is an excellent third line option. I'd keep him around if I was Benning.

I think goldobin and virtanen played well at the tail end with horvat and deserve a shot at the top six.

I dont mind getting rid of a few of the players you mentioned... Hutton, baer, maybe pouliot but that's s huge amount of turnover to a rookie lineup... recipe for disaster just ask the Oilers.

Like the optimism, we'd be in great shape if most our top end prospects work out, because we have quite a few of them.  

The four that should are Pettersson, Juolevi, Demko and Gaudette, but by working out I mean playing a meaningful role on the team, not necessarily a star or a very good player.  Hopefully we can add one more this year to that list.

There is a second tier of prospects led by Lind and Dahlen (of which I think Dahlen has a better chance of making it) that most probably won't make the NHL past a tryout or two.  If a few of them also make the team, we should be in good shape as far as youth goes.    

As far as adding picks that would be fantastic, but aside from maybe Tanev, most of them would be of the garden variety 3-4 rounders, and I doubt Benning would go there given these guys have proven they can play in the NHL to a varying degrees of success, where as our prospects have not, yet at least.  Hutton, Granlund, Bear etc.  may end up getting recycled into the draft, but not at the expense of rushing Lind, Dahlen, JG etc.

X - Horvat - Boeser

Dhalen - Pettersson - X

Granlund - Sutter - Eriksson

Gaunce - Gaudette - Virtanen

Goldobin

Leipsic 

Dowd

Motte

Edler - Tanev

Del Zotto - Stetcher

Pouliot - Gudbranson

Joulevi

Chatfield 

Brisebois

Markstrom

Demko

Trade Assets

Gagner

Baertschi

Hutton

Nilsson

Is this for 2018/19?

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Goldobin - Bozak - Pettersson

Eriksson - Gaudette - Gagner

Granlund - Sutter - Virtanen

Leipsic

Edler - Stecher

Del Zotto - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Pouliot

Markstrom

Demko

Utica - Dahlen, Archibald, Gaunce, Motte, Juolevi, Sautner, Brisebois

On 5/21/2018 at 10:04 AM, Canuck_Drums03 said:

Dahlen - Horvat/Pettersson - X

Goldobin/Gadjovich - MacEwen - Lind/Eriksson

Edler - 2018 7th overall

Juolevi - X

Pouliot/Brisebois - Gudbransson/Stecher

Demko

Markstrom/DiPietro

More likely:

X -Pettersson- Boeser

X - Horvat - Lind