The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] VAN-NYR

JM_

To NYR: 7th oa, Tanev

To Van: 9th oa, Chris Kreider

NYR would have a very solid defence with Shattenkirk and Tanev as their top 2 RHDs, and a shot at a better player in the draft. 

Vancouver gets size and tons of speed for a 1LW at a nice cap hit of 4.625 mil. Kreider-Bo-Boser would be a nice line, with Jake as an option on the 2nd line to give teams a lot more size speed to contend with in our top 6.

And if Bob McKenzie is correct, we would still have a shot at Boqvist in the #9 spot in the draft.  

Thoughts? 

NYR are rebuilding.  If they trade Kreider it would be for futures/prospects and not a player that is 2 seasons away to UFA.

Kreider is also 2 years away from UFA.  He was born in Massachusetts and studied in Boston.  He might prefer to return to the East once UFA.   

If they trade Tanev - shouldn't it be to get Ds (either pick or prospects).  Wing is much easier to find and the Canucks' problem right now is D.  They were the 2nd lowest scoring team from the blue line last season.

20 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

To NYI: 7th oa, Tanev

To Van: 9th oa, Chris Kreider

NYI would have a very solid defence with Shattenkirk and Tanev as their top 2 RHDs, and a shot at a better player in the draft. 

Vancouver gets size and tons of speed for a 1LW at a nice cap hit of 4.625 mil. Kreider-Bo-Boser would be a nice line, with Jake as an option on the 2nd line to give teams a lot more size speed to contend with in our top 6.

And if Bob McKenzie is correct, we would still have a shot at Boqvist in the #9 spot in the draft.  

Thoughts? 

Does Kreider play for the Islanders?  

I like the trade if it's with the Rangers though. 

6 minutes ago, mll said:

NYR are rebuilding.  If they trade Kreider it would be for futures/prospects and not a player that is 2 seasons away to UFA.

Kreider is also 2 years away from UFA.  He was born in Massachusetts and studied in Boston.  He might prefer to return to the East once UFA.   

If they trade Tanev - shouldn't it be to get Ds (either pick or prospects).  Wing is much easier to find and the Canucks' problem right now is D.  They were the 2nd lowest scoring team from the blue line last season.

I think we need upgrades all over, so if there's a chance to improve the top 6 we need to do it, particularly if we can still get a great D in the draft in Boqvist. 

We could also get a guy like Green on a large sum  one or two year deal for a temporary defence scoring upgrade. 

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think we need upgrades all over, so if there's a chance to improve the top 6 we need to do it, particularly if we can still get a great D in the draft in Boqvist. 

We could also get a guy like Green on a large sum  one or two year deal for a temporary defence scoring upgrade. 

Would Kreider really re-sign in Vancouver in 2 years?  

I wouldn't use assets in trades for wingers right now when the D is such a mess.  The D is trailing and they need to fix it before the Fs start hitting free agency.

If it's a short term deal on a rebuilding team Green is more likely to stay in Detroit.  They are also offering him a short term deal and he likes it there.

13 minutes ago, mll said:

Would Kreider really re-sign in Vancouver in 2 years?  

I wouldn't use assets in trades for wingers right now when the D is such a mess.  The D is trailing and they need to fix it before the Fs start hitting free agency.

If it's a short term deal on a rebuilding team Green is more likely to stay in Detroit.  They are also offering him a short term deal and he likes it there.

well, hard to say of course. Will Tanev? who knows but you have time to try to work out an extension.

I suppose it all depends on how high a pick Jim is being offered for Tanev, if all he's getting back is 25-30 range and no high end D prospects I'd rather turn that into a bigger faster top 6 option to help change the style of the team to something faster. 

20 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Pass.

I know it's only two spots - but the higher you are the more options you will have, plain and simple. 

true, but if our scouting see's 7-10 as basically equivalent then its not that big a deal. Of course the rangers would have to really want whoever falls to 7. 

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

true, but if our scouting see's 7-10 as basically equivalent then its not that big a deal. Of course the rangers would have to really want whoever falls to 7. 

If Tkachuk fall to 7 (which is highly doubtful) then I could see the Rangers, Oilers, and Flames phoning JB with HUGE offers.  

16 minutes ago, Bure1010 said:

Why would we trade down two spots and a downgrade player wise???  Is there supposed to be more pieces coming Vancouver’s way?

I love Tanev's defensive game but his value isn't as high as say Larsson, so a Kreider-Tanev trade seems like an appropriate level hockey trade in a similar way Hall-Larsson was (or was meant to be), so i don't view it as a "downgrade" to the roster. We gain size, scoring and speed to our top 6 and still draft a good future d-man. 

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I love Tanev's defensive game but his value isn't as high as say Larsson, so a Kreider-Tanev trade seems like an appropriate level hockey trade in a similar way Hall-Larsson was (or was meant to be), so i don't view it as a "downgrade" to the roster. We gain size, scoring and speed to our top 6 and still draft a good future d-man. 

Looking at the roster for next year. Tanev is more important to the Canucks. And trade value wise. Tanev is still more valuable. Yes injury issues but a top end team would value him as a 3-4-5 playing less hard minutes than he is in van than they would a kreider. Not saying kreider has no value just would be less of a return. 

36 minutes ago, Bure1010 said:

Looking at the roster for next year. Tanev is more important to the Canucks. And trade value wise. Tanev is still more valuable. Yes injury issues but a top end team would value him as a 3-4-5 playing less hard minutes than he is in van than they would a kreider. Not saying kreider has no value just would be less of a return. 

I guess watching the playoffs this year it seems to me that having players of CK's size and speed will be key to being competitive, but I do see where you're coming from. 

Archived