The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, The Great Canucks said:

Umm, except Pettersson didn't dominate this tournament, either. Looking down on this kid because of a short tournament is stupid. He is still a great prospect that has been doing very well in college. Saying things like "hurr durr, I hope we didn't draft Yannick Weberz!" is ridiculous and not actual criticism.

True. Not saying he is yannick webber , was just hoping to see more is all. I dunno. He wasnt even the best d man on the team overall imo. 

2 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

True. Not saying he is yannick webber , was just hoping to see more is all. I dunno. He wasnt even the best d man on the team overall imo. 

Tons of high-profile prospects play in these tournaments and don't look as good as people were expecting. This really isn't a tournament to decide whether someone is good or bad.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

You might think?

But probably not! Not just because of who Hughes is. But what we will become.

I simply believe we become the firewagon brand of hockey that used to be the Oilers.  In Gretzky's day, not McJesus.  Guys fly up the ice, take chances. Guys like Pettersson & Brock bury a high % of chances created. Potentially we're going to add speed up front like Tampa. On their own Manukyan, Palmu might not even be NHL players? Nobody thought Johnson or Palat, even Point might be either? It works on mass in Tampa and in Pitt because of the overall level of other athletes.. Pace them at the speed of Hughes and Petey. Not to mention Motte, Jake & Madden hounding the crap out of guys defensively. Hughes will beat his man more often than not. We'll also create more turnovers than Hughes gives up... 

In coaching there is a principle of possession and pace. The more heavily you plaster an opposing team in speed and skill? Crank up the pace. Pettersson almost needs no time or space to create goals. A game that has an extra 40 possessions will lead to a lot of blowouts in our favour. Its why Justin Schultz was suddenly effective when he went to the Penguins.  

And nobody in hockey, save Karlsson and a select few others, will be able to press the pace like Hughes. 

Grip it and rip it!

Cant skate? Puck off. Go block shots for Torts and the Blue Jackets.

20 hours ago, rekker said:

This. Hughes isn't a dman in the old school way. He is a rover. The modern roving dman and exactly what this team needs.

By adjustments I didn't mean drastically change I meant adjust.

He'll never go away from his puck carrying rover game & he never should. That's what makes him special. I've said before I can't remember the last time a defenseman like this came along through the draft & I'm delighted to have him just like everyone.

But that doesn't mean everything is always perfect. There are times where he's just trying to do a bit too much on his own. He ends up trying to force a shot or skating himself into a bad play. I saw a bit of that against Russia and in the NHL his time + space will be limited more, he'll still be elusive but there will be that extra 10-20% of the time (or whatever number) where he'll have to make a quick play & pick his spots a bit more rather than trying to force something himself.

Its just minor stuff, his IQ is almost as much an asset for him as his skating so I don't have any concern's about translating. There might be the odd bump early on but he'll get it and he'll be that game controlling defenseman for us that he can be. As you describe Surfer. ::D

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Upvote 2

Just now, The Great Canucks said:

Tons of high-profile prospects play in these tournaments and don't look as good as people were expecting. This really isn't a tournament to decide whether someone is good or bad.

Lol. Ya i know , was just over excited i guess . Even McDavid was so so in comparison to his expectations.  I just wanted to see more is all. 

8 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Well Hughes went from his worst game of the tournament to probably the best. He was soo good in the Gold Medal Game. Breaking up plays defensively, winning battles against 2 guys along the wall. Closing out his man defending a rush. Reading a play with an EP-like interception. Then everything he does offensively & with the puck. Just playing his game.

Its too bad the way the game ended, I'm sure he would have loved to be out there at the end.

Looking forward to seeing him in a Canucks jersey at the end of his season. 

That’s a very homeristic view.  

The kid isn’t ready for the NHL yet.  

Plain and simple.  

1 minute ago, drummerboy said:

That’s a very homeristic view.  

The kid isn’t ready for the NHL yet.  

Plain and simple.  

Wouldnt say that, but he didnt look ready to dominate the NHL, thats for sure . Great Canucks made a good point though, Pettersson didnt look ready to dominate at the world juniors either. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

Its more of what I watched transpire in the game than a view.

How is it plain & simple? He could play in the Canucks lineup tomorrow & be a contributing member of the team.  

It is plain and simple because he just isn’t ready.  

His skating is really nice.  But that isn’t enough to be an NHL defender. 

He looked physically weak against his own peers.  Imagine when he is in the corner with someone 6’3 230lbs.  

His positioning won’t work in the bigs either, not to mention he is a turnover machine from trying too much. 

He he has a solid amount of time before he is a solid contributor on both sides of the puck. 

We don’t need Goldy playing D

10 minutes ago, The Great Canucks said:

To be fair though , petey still had a better showing. 

3 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Wouldnt say that, but he didnt look ready to dominate the NHL, thats for sure . Great Canucks made a good point though, Pettersson didnt look ready to dominate at the world juniors either. 

I’m not basing my quotes on the WJs. 

I’m taking it into account, which doesn’t help his argument.   only an idiot forms an opinion of a player from this one tourney

• Like 2

Just now, drummerboy said:

It is plain and simple because he just isn’t ready.  

His skating is really nice.  But that isn’t enough to be an NHL defender. 

He looked physically weak against his own peers.  Imagine when he is in the corner with someone 6’3 230lbs.  

His positioning won’t work in the bigs either, not to mention he is a turnover machine from trying too much. 

He he has a solid amount of time before he is a solid contributor on both sides of the puck. 

We don’t need Goldy playing D

Did u watch the game today or just the Russia game? He was far from physically weak against his peers in the Gold Medal game. He won most of the battles along the boards he was involved in & played great man on man defense all game. His positioning is fine, he was one of USA's better defenders in this game. He got the puck out & up ice so many times just on his own.

He's never going to get bigger, so being up against someone 6'3 230 doesn't really matter more right now than it would in a year or two. 

He's got skating & smarts, the two most important things. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

I’m not basing my quotes on the WJs. 

I’m taking it into account, which doesn’t help his argument.   only an idiot forms an opinion of a player from this one tourney

Ya this season has been much less dynamically offensive overall for sure  . Even though he has good stats (which i would expect from an older university player ) , and more points , he looks less creative.  Ive streamed some of his college games this year, and thought he was good , he was not what everyone has been saying he is imo. He looked good , but not dominant .  Time will tell. 

Edited by cuporbust

5 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Ya this season has been much less offensive overall for sure . Ive streamed some of his college games this year, and thought he was good , but not what everyone has been saying he is 4 sure . Time will tell. 

I’ve tried to watch as many games as I can. 

He is fun, but very frustrating to watch. 

Absolutly not what everyone keeps saying about him on CDC, but still pretty great. 

The offense for him will come. That will always be a plus with Quinn.  But he needs to tone down his fancy $&!#. 

He is going to be dancing around with his head down and get murdered. 

And like I said before.  Turnover machine. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drummerboy said:

Absolutly not what everyone keeps saying about him on CDC, but still pretty great. 

The offense for him will come. That will always be a plus with Quinn.  But he needs to tone down his fancy $&!#. 

Yes. That is what i was noticing too. 

17 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Did u watch the game today or just the Russia game? He was far from physically weak against his peers in the Gold Medal game. He won most of the battles along the boards he was involved in & played great man on man defense all game. His positioning is fine, he was one of USA's better defenders in this game. He got the puck out & up ice so many times just on his own.

I watched the whole tourney.  He was absolutely weak.    He is quick and smart enough to win some board battles, but I saw it differently for sure.  He get pushed around pretty easy.  Very ineffective in front of the net as well.  

He's never going to get bigger, so being up against someone 6'3 230 doesn't really matter more right now than it would in a year or two. 

A year or or two for a kid that age can make a world of difference.  What are you even talking about?    Lol.  

Never seen a human physically between 18-19-20?   Especially one who is training hard to add size and strength.  

So yeah, a year or two matters big time.  And he needs it. And that’s ok

He's got skating & smarts, the two most important things. 

That he does have, and I thin that will make him something special.  One day. 

Edited by drummerboy

13 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

most of those turnovers are down low in his own zone - he's not terribly strong in the board battles and tends to make his mistakes when he's moving the puck under pressure.

quite a few turnovers in this tournament - but tonight he did improve in the second half of the game after not such a great start.  He'll need a solid partner.

I laugh at all the hate towards Pouliot on these boards, but there are some notable similarities in the kinds and situations of errors these two guys make....couldn't help but think at various times of this tournament how much hate there'd be for Hughes if he were making some of these plays/errors in a Canuck uniform.  Maybe his tremendous upside will gain him a pass.

On the other hand their skating gets them into positions defensively that other guys may not have the mobility to, so there are upsides/tradeoffs to these guys that skate extremely well but aren't necessarily going to overpower many forwards.

That said, I see no reason to rush him into the NHL.  I think part of his game is ready, other parts could use work and waiting a few more months won't hurt imo.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Very high risk player with hopefully a high NHL reward for the Canucks

Strong game from Hughes. Fairly evident the USA coaching staff wanted him to play a safer game in the playoff rounds because as soon Finland made it 2-0 and the US needed a jolt and offensive pressure, the old Quinn Hughes we are so familiar came alive as he responsible for the zone entry for the first US goal and some other chances afterwards. He was pretty damn good defensively again and I didn't notice any egregious giveaways this game which is good. I do think he was getting fatigued by the end of the tournament as he had a hard time getting past the first defender with his pull-away speed.

Also, WTF is up with the USA coaching staff. You have the Hughes bros playing on the same f******* team and you don't put them on the same pp unit? That's like putting the Sedin twins on different pp units. Really dumb stuff.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

most of those turnovers are down low in his own zone - he's not terribly strong in the board battles and tends to make his mistakes when he's moving the puck under pressure.

quite a few turnovers in this tournament - but tonight he did improve in the second half of the game after not such a great start.  He'll need a solid partner.

I laugh at all the hate towards Pouliot on these boards, but there are some notable similarities in the kinds and situations of errors these two guys make....couldn't help but think at various times of this tournament how much hate there'd be for Hughes if he were making some of these plays/errors in a Canuck uniform.  Maybe his tremendous upside will gain him a pass.

On the other hand their skating gets them into positions defensively that other guys may not have the mobility to, so there are upsides/tradeoffs to these guys that skate extremely well but aren't necessarily going to overpower many forwards.

That said, I see no reason to rush him into the NHL.  I think part of his game is ready, other parts could use work and waiting a few more months won't hurt imo.

This kid is going to have HUGE pressure on him when he makes the step to the NHL. Fans in Vancouver dont care where you are selected, they are going to praise your great plays but if you cough up the puck or get beat off of it and play poorly the fans and media will be all over this kid.

I wish Hughes all the best going forward, but man does he have pressure on him being a Canuck pick. We have lacked a puck moving PP QB for a long time, that is what we all hope he will be and be able to produce on the stat sheet. He will have growing pains along the way, there is no way to avoid that.

Finish your college year strong Quinn and hit the gym like crazy

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

This kid is going to have HUGE pressure on him when he makes the step to the NHL. Fans in Vancouver dont care where you are selected, they are going to praise your great plays but if you cough up the puck or get beat off of it and play poorly the fans and media will be all over this kid.

I wish Hughes all the best going forward, but man does he have pressure on him being a Canuck pick. We have lacked a puck moving PP QB for a long time, that is what we all hope he will be and be able to produce on the stat sheet. He will have growing pains along the way, there is no way to avoid that.

Finish your college year strong Quinn and hit the gym like crazy

I don't necessarily agree.   The kind of pressure I'd be concerned with is forecheckers / down low trying to handle NHL forwards - at this stage of his development.   In fairness, there is a lot of speed and aggressiveness in the WJC game, so it's not like he's not facing good quality competition when he struggles in those particular areas.

But 'fans" tend to pick their whipping boys and choose not to see the errors of their pets.   If you're seen as a marginal player making mistakes, prepare to face a fan base that is all over you.   But if you're a Boeser, etc, you can make as many errors as your counterparts and they slide by relatively unnoticed by most.

I think Hughes will adapt well - and will probably have a solid partner - and some pretty good two way forwards to play with - on a team that doesn't simp'ly come together for a tournament like this - that's one thing to keep in mind are the relatively short-terms these guys work together, get used to each other, team systems, etc.   So I'm not terribly concerned about his hiccups, but I still don't see any real impetus to rush him in.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2