The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Just got back from watching the Americans play the Czechs. 

Quinn played the more quiet, reserved game again today. He was great on breakouts most of the time again. However, it looked like it was tougher for him in the offensive zone tonight, mainly due to the fact that most of the Czech wingers were pretty big. He got squeezed out more often when trying to drive wide past guys. He also fanned on a pass on the powerplay that lead to a shorthanded breakaway against. However, it was pure magic whenever he was on the ice with his brother, who played for the first time today. I'll talk more about it in the draft thread, but they would interchange positions seamlessly and cause chaos in the offensive zone. 

Thinking about it now, I think the reason Hughes' game was so chaotic against the Swedes was that the team could barely generate anything at even strength. The forwards were always outnumbered and the Swedish defense was running their system to perfection. Hughes was the only one able to break them down somewhat with any degree of success. That lead to him taking charge offensively and playing that high risk game. In the two games since then, his forwards have had a much easier time and Hughes' play has gotten much more responsible as a result. Just something to think about when assessing his playstyle. 

Overall, another responsible game from Hughes where his effectiveness on breakouts and controlled entries was all they needed.

I picture Quintin Hughes as a young prime Mike Green. That fourth forward/rover d man constantly trying to join the rush, carry the puck, or make a great breakout pass and key the transition.

I can imagine him right now joining the rush with Boeser and Petersson.

They will be an elite trio in 3 on 3 OT.

J.P. Barry (Hughes' adviser) on Quinn Hughes:

“I think he’s ready. We’ll have to wait until we see how far Michigan goes, but I think if you look at him now he’s ready. He really wants to play in the NHL. He’s progressing, and that’s the key. He’s still progressing in the right direction.”

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

I picture Quintin Hughes as a young prime Mike Green. That fourth forward/rover d man constantly trying to join the rush, carry the puck, or make a great breakout pass and key the transition.

I can imagine him right now joining the rush with Boeser and Petersson.

They will be an elite trio in 3 on 3 OT.

The only difference there is Mike Green has/had a great shot. Quinn doesn't and likely won't ever have a good shot, as it has very little to do with weight and much more to do with fundamentals - just look at Elias for proof of that.

Quinn will be a solid offensive defenseman that has elite puck-moving and skating skills - but I most of you guys in here seem to think he's a lock for a perennial Norris candidate-level player and I just don't think there's much evidence that he's got that ability/type of game. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Maketherightmove said:

The only difference there is Mike Green has/had a great shot. Quinn doesn't and likely won't ever have a good shot, as it has very little to do with weight and much more to do with fundamentals - just look at Elias for proof of that.

Quinn will be a solid offensive defenseman that has elite puck-moving and skating skills - but I most of you guys in here seem to think he's a lock for a perennial Norris candidate-level player and I just don't think there's much evidence that he's got that ability/type of game. 

There is nothing you can't improve. Just look at Jake Virtanen's hands this year. You put in deliberate practice every day and you will get results. No he won't be the best shot but it is naive to think he couldn't make it good.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, taskicon said:

There is nothing you can't improve. Just look at Jake Virtanen's hands this year. You put in deliberate practice every day and you will get results. No he won't be the best shot but it is naive to think he couldn't make it good.

Same with Horvat's skating.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, westcoastsniper said:

Quinn's shot is bad, but the important thing is he get's it through. He's never going to beat a goalie clean, but he'll get pucks through and cause havoc in the crease. Mixed in with his skating and playmaking, thats a pretty good combo for an offensive defenseman.

This is the key point. Boeser and Petterson rip it from the halfwall. Thats like Laine and Ovechkin. They are all forwards and use their shot to beat the goalie clean. 

Quinn is a defensemen. 

All Quinn has to do is find pockets of traffic in front of the net and get the shot through. Sometimes it'll go in, other times it'll handcuff a goalie and cause a bad rebound in front of the net.  Sometimes it'll be tipped in. 

If we have a great skating puck moving D-man that can walk the line and gets shots through traffic, thats all we need. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

ESPN analyst Chris Peters with high praise for hughes in this tourney: "Quinn Hughes has been Team USA's best player".  He is on a different level than many of the US forwards who do not anticipate his plays.  He and Brannstrom have been the two best d men, by far, in the tournament.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/peters-quinn-hughes-has-been-team-usa-s-best-player-1.1234803

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Darius said:

ESPN analyst Chris Peters with high praise for hughes in this tourney: "Quinn Hughes has been Team USA's best player".  He is on a different level than many of the US forwards who do not anticipate his plays.  He and Brannstrom have been the two best d men, by far, in the tournament.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/peters-quinn-hughes-has-been-team-usa-s-best-player-1.1234803

Yup.  The kid is a phenomenal skater, and has brilliant puck skills.  However, his hockey Q is off the charts.  Quinn and Elias are going to be a dynamic duo (center and a D) like not seen since the 80’s.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Maketherightmove said:

I disagree that he likely won't ever have a good shot, as I see him take many shots from everywhere, which means he isn't hiding from it and is keen on getting better, unlike someone like Tanev who has accepted his ability and ostensibly thinks it won't ever get better. 

Quinn is close to the level of Petey, IMO, in that he is unbelievable already prior to the NHL, but once playing with NHL-caliber players he will be next level good. Once Quinn joins the team this/next year he will be training with the big boys and playing with players as good/better than him, something he doesn't have the luxury of just yet.

16 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I disagree that he likely won't ever have a good shot, as I see him take many shots from everywhere, which means he isn't hiding from it and is keen on getting better, unlike someone like Tanev who has accepted his ability and ostensibly thinks it won't ever get better. 

Quinn is close to the level of Petey, IMO, in that he is unbelievable already prior to the NHL, but once playing with NHL-caliber players he will be next level good. Once Quinn joins the team this/next year he will be training with the big boys and playing with players as good/better than him, something he doesn't have the luxury of just yet.

Please pump the brakes. Petey is basically a generational talent at this point that set all time records in a professional league the season before he came over. Quinn will absolutely not have the same immediate impact that Elias has had, it's ridiculous to even put those kind of expectations on him. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, taskicon said:

I wouldn't say Virtanen has good hands. They're serviceable, maybe slightly better than before but certainly not above league average. I could see the same improvement in Quinn's shot, still leaving him with an average-at-best but more than likely below average shot. 

Edited by Maketherightmove

2 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

Please pump the brakes. Petey is basically a generational talent at this point that set all time records in a professional league the season before he came over. Quinn will absolutely not have the same immediate impact that Elias has had, it's ridiculous to even put those kind of expectations on him. 

It may serve you better to read the last part of that sentence with the part you put in bold.

Just now, Maketherightmove said:

Fair point, I feel your opinion is insane, but I'm sure you'd feel the same of mine. Touche. 

You think it's insane of me to say that Quinn is already an amazing talent that is far ahead of the high majority of his peers and that he will be even better once playing with NHL-caliber players like Petey, Boeser, and Horvat?

Just now, Jester13 said:

You think it's insane of me to say that Quinn is already an amazing talent that is far ahead of the high majority of his peers and that he will be even better once playing with NHL-caliber players like Petey, Boeser, and Horvat?

I think it's insane to say he's already at Elias' level. He's an elite skater and puck mover, but he's still got a lot to work on and will not be ready to play anything but sheltered minutes in the NHL next season. Elias is a superstar top 20 player already. There's a significant difference there. 

• Upvote 1