The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

12 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

I wouldn't say Virtanen has good hands. They're serviceable, maybe slightly better than before but certainly not above league average. I could see the same improvement in Quinn's shot, still leaving him with an average-at-best but more than likely below average shot. 

That wasn't the point of his post. The point was with proper training and practice, anything can be improved.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Maketherightmove said:

I think it's insane to say he's already at Elias' level. He's an elite skater and puck mover, but he's still got a lot to work on and will not be ready to play anything but sheltered minutes in the NHL next season. Elias is a superstar top 20 player already. There's a significant difference there. 

I hate saying this to anyone, but your reading comprehension is lacking. When you take the first part of my sentence as a stand-alone sentence then sure, but you're incorrect in doing so. Take the first part of what I said and then add it to the second part and you will/should be able to understand what I'm saying, which I did clarify as well. 

Hughes won't be compared to anyone other than Dhalin, the player he will get more points than his entire career! Consider it another lottery win from the NHL! Sometimes picking first handicaps you. Especially if scouting has not selected the top player in the draft as top 5! Happens way more than you might think! Hughes will be the best offensive defenseman in last years draft. Like I have said 100 times. Rasmus Dhalin  is on a .5ppg clip at 40 games. With Rasmus I have seen the same traits in the NHL as I watched in his draft year. Really unbelievable moves but lacks finish! Plus Quinn will have Boeser and Pettersson to feed! (Ouch)

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

I hate saying this to anyone, but your reading comprehension is lacking. When you take the first part of my sentence as a stand-alone sentence then sure, but you're incorrect in doing so. Take the first part of what I said and then add it to the second part and you will/should be able to understand what I'm saying, which I did clarify as well. 

It was a sentence that you posted. Am I supposed to decipher your posts like a riddle? I'm taking what you said at face value. If you don't mean something and can't stand behind it, don't say it. 

19 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

It was a sentence that you posted. Am I supposed to decipher your posts like a riddle? I'm taking what you said at face value. If you don't mean something and can't stand behind it, don't say it. 

Either your reading comprehension is worse than I originally thought or you're just trolling now. Either way, enjoy the game today. 

1 hour ago, cory40 said:

Hughes won't be compared to anyone other than Dhalin, the player he will get more points than his entire career! Consider it another lottery win from the NHL! Sometimes picking first handicaps you. Especially if scouting has not selected the top player in the draft as top 5! Happens way more than you might think! Hughes will be the best offensive defenseman in last years draft. Like I have said 100 times. Rasmus Dhalin  is on a .5ppg clip at 40 games. With Rasmus I have seen the same traits in the NHL as I watched in his draft year. Really unbelievable moves but lacks finish! Plus Quinn will have Boeser and Pettersson to feed! (Ouch)

hughes isn't exactly lighting the tourney on fire, offensively, against teenagers.

• Upvote 1

Quinn doesn’t have to get on the score sheet to be an extremely effective player.  

The controlled zone exits and his ability to create passing lanes through foot work will create so much more offence, whether he gets a point or not... He takes away the oppositions forecheck and creates odd man opportunities consistently.  The kid is a scoring chance generator and it’s going to give Vancouver a unique look to the offence.  Will be a treat for us to marvel at for years. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

yup. Alex Edler and Bo Horvat didn't either.  Add Brock Boeser to the list of players on the Canucks that didn't light it up.

Agreed, I don't think he's had a bad tournament, at all.  He's been the US' best dman

Whether QH puts up 40-45 points a year or 50+ points a year will be almost entirely dependent on improving his shot. He will get a lot of secondary assists and PP assists, but right now Stecher might have a better clapper than he does. The good news is that, especially with today's technology, Hughes can improve his shot without necessarily getting a whole lot bigger. 

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Whether QH puts up 40-45 points a year or 50+ points a year will be almost entirely dependent on improving his shot. He will get a lot of secondary assists and PP assists, but right now Stecher might have a better clapper than he does. The good news is that, especially with today's technology, Hughes can improve his shot without necessarily getting a whole lot bigger. 

QU has one thing all our D don't, high end mobility no other D man on our currant roster can move the puck and generate offensive opportunities  like him. He could generate 40 points with out scoring one goal . 

I preface this by saying one has to be careful to criticize Canucks prospects around here sometimes....but I would describe Quinn's overall game in this tournament as "ok". I realize that much of my opinion is formed by the fact that my expectations for him are high...especially amongst his age peers in a tournament like this. And weighed against such hyperbole as offered by the J.D. Burke above I think being somewhat (emphasis SOMEWHAT) underwhelmed by his tourney thus far is a valid opinion. I thought there would be more WOW moments for me.

He could very well have an incredible Gold Medal game (against the Finns it looks like) and remind everyone what all the hype is about.

Edited by Locke Lamora
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

I preface this by saying one has to be careful to criticize Canucks prospects around here sometimes....but I would describe Quinn's overall game in this tournament as "ok". I realize that much of my opinion is formed by the fact that my expectations for him are high...especially amongst his age peers in a tournament like this. And weighed against such hyperbole as offered by the J.D. Burke above I think being somewhat (emphasis SOMEWHAT) underwhelmed by his tourney thus far. I thought there would be more WOW moments for me.

He could very well have an incredible Gold Medal game (against the Finns it looks like) and remind everyone what all the hype is about.

If I remember correctly, Pettersson's WJC's last year wasn't off the charts.   The WJC can have less structure to it at times so I wouldn't worry too much. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

If I remember correctly, Pettersson's WJC's last year wasn't off the charts.   The WJC can have less structure to it at times so I wouldn't worry too much. 

Pettersson just wasn't noticeable.

Hughes is noticeable on every shift, and it's an even split between good and bad. The kid has 3-4 poor giveaways a game due to poor decision making. He really needs to clean up that aspect of his game prior to making the jump.

Some people are claiming we should see him in the NHL at the end of this year. I'm reluctant to say that it's a good idea at this point. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Pettersson just wasn't noticeable.

Hughes is noticeable on every shift, and it's an even split between good and bad. The kid has 3-4 poor giveaways a game due to poor decision making. He really needs to clean up that aspect of his game prior to making the jump.

Some people are claiming we should see him in the NHL at the end of this year. I'm reluctant to say that it's a good idea at this point. 

That's harsh.

I remember a similar conversation about Ray Bourque. I cannot recall who was commentating in rebuttal, Middleton? He said something to the effect that it only counts as a negative if you forget how many guys he left hanging inside out in their jock straps tying to guard him.

I do however find it surprising that the US has not accomplished as much of a high scoring high tempo game with, in particular Hughes, but all their mobile D?

I guess the same could be said for Canada.

• Like 1