The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

33 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

Caufield doesn't look like a franchise potential guy to me. He seems like a passenger on an insanely stacked team. I could be wrong of course but I think there will be players of equal or greater potential and higher floors available where we pick.

Using a high 1st round pick for a pure finisher, even it's Caufield is a bit risky.

Using a high 1st round pick for a  forward I  would expect to get the following :

1. strong 2 way game

2. ability to finish

3. ability to generate offense (passing, hockey sense)

Does Caufield bring a solid 2 way game and the ability to generate offense to the table?

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Take the guy with the highest ceiling.  

Here is the guy with the massive upside.

1. Moritz Seider, RHD / 6’4 183lbs / 04-06-01 / DEL

Mobile right-shot defender with good instincts and a projectable frame. A little rough around the edges, but that doesn’t hide his massive upside. An athletic piece of clay just waiting to be moulded into a work of art.

9 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Using a high 1st round pick for a pure finisher, even it's Caufield is a bit risky.

Using a high 1st round pick for a  forward I  would expect to get the following :

1. strong 2 way game

2. ability to finish

Does Caufield bring a solid 2 way game and the ability to generate offense to the table?

Actually... He does. And he goes in and pins guys along the wall that are two times his size. I've been impressed with what he's willing to do, just as I wrote last year on Elias Pettersson's physical aggressiveness when he was a super lightweight. I see that fearlessness in Caufield, and a pretty well-rounded game. Pretty creative too with his puck movement and cycling. 

Now, if Krebs is available I'd rather have him. I feel like Pettersson and Boeser could use a similar guy but left shot over there on LW.  Krebs might not be as good as Caufield will be, but he's a guy who would be able to make plays on their wing and finish on the odd occasion. We saw how limiting the right shot guy on that line was with Virtanen there. Yikes. Then again that miiight be because Virtanen's kind of... umm... dumb. But whatever.

7 hours ago, Mr.53 said:

I think Soderstrom is going to be a great pick for us.

Hughes, Juolevi, and Soderstrom is not a bad defensive core going forward.

An interesting option in the 3rd or 4th round could be Mattias Norlinder. He was just awarded with the MVP in the U-20 Championships in Sweden.

U-20 Championships (JSM)

Just like in the J18-SM there were several awards handed out to the best J20-players of the 2018/2019-season:

Best Goaltender: Jesper Myrenberg (Linköping HC)

Best Defenseman: Tobias Björnfot (Djurgårdens IF)

Best Forward: Lucas Raymond (Frölunda HC)

Playoff MVP: Mattias Norlinder (MODO Hockey)

Just like with the J18-awards I thought the picks for the J20-awards were good. The only award that I think there were some real contention for was “Best Goaltender”, there have been many goaltenders with excellent performances this year; August Hedlund (AIK), Erik Portillo (Frölunda HC), Jakob Hellsten (Leksands IF) and Oscar Walldén (Djurgården IF) would have all been good choices besides Myrenberg. In my mind Myrenberg should have received the award last year, the fact that he didn’t might have played a part in this year’s voting. Either way it was a well-deserved award, just like the other three were.

I wanted to end this update the same way as I ended the one about J18, to mention some of the players that I think had impressive showings during the JSM-weekend.

Mattias Norlinder, MODO Hockey J20, D, 5’11, 179lbs, DOB 04.12.00

Norlider was the most outstanding player at this year’s JSM-weekend and were rightfully awarded with the “Playoff MVP”-award. The first thing that jumps off the page with Norlinder is his skating, he takes smooth strides and when he accelerates to top speed it can look close to effortless. He is very mobile and is excellent at transporting the puck, but he could use his skating a bit more in the offensive zone to find open ice. Norlinder has decent hands and controls the puck very well but doesn’t have an overly flashy playstyle, even though he can puck handle his way past an opponent if he has gathered some speed, instead he often focuses on making the right play and to solve the situation he is in in the best possible way. He has a good shot, both his wrist shot and slap shot are powerful and he is good at finding the net through traffic, but Norlinder’s passing abilities is a notch ahead of his shot. He sees the ice very well and doesn’t hesitate to handle the puck and wait for passing lanes to open up before making a play from the blue line or the boards. He has a strong first pass that is highly accurate and can create a breakaway for a team mate all the from his own zone. Norlinder’s defensive game during the JSM-weekend was close to flawless, he continuously made the correct reads, knew when to use his body to challenge an opponent and when to steer them towards the boards with his stick. Norlinder’s overall smarts includes superb defensive awareness and positional play, and with his strong skating and awareness he can quickly transition quickly from defense to offense if there is a turnover. Norlinder was not drafted in last year’s draft but with the season and progression he has had this year he can surly expect to hear his name called during this year’s draft.

Edited by Wolfgang Durst
  • Upvote 1

Just now, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

Actually... He does. And he goes in and pins guys along the wall that are two times his size. I've been impressed with what he's willing to do, just as I wrote last year on Elias Pettersson's physical aggressiveness when he was a super lightweight. I see that fearlessness in Caufield, and a pretty well-rounded game. Pretty creative too with his puck movement and cycling. 

Now, if Krebs is available I'd rather have him. I feel like Pettersson and Boeser could use a similar guy but left shot over there on LW.  Krebs might not be as good as Caufield will be, but he's a guy who would be able to make plays on their wing and finish on the odd occasion. We saw how limiting the right shot guy on that line was with Virtanen there. Yikes. Then again that miiight be because Virtanen's kind of... umm... dumb. But whatever.

SNYPERS 7:

Jeremy Davis would also prefer Krebs:

If he had to choose one player in that range, he would go with Peyton Krebs from the Kootenay Ice, who he does have ranked seventh, ahead of Alex Turcotte, Matthew Boldy, Cole Caufield, Victor Soderstrom and Alex Newhook.

“He’s a really interesting player because his team was such garbage and he’s doing quite well at the Under-18s,” he said. “I watched him just the other day. There’s a whole story in itself in trying to scout a player on a bad team versus a player on a good team.”

23 hours ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

My mock draft considering some of the U18 performances we've seen, as well as team need and major junior playoffs. :P

1. New Jersey: J. Hughes

2. New York: K. Kakko

3. Chicago: B. Byram

4. Colorado: K. Dach

5. L.A.: D. Cozens

6. Detroit: A. Turcotte 

7. Buffalo: M. Boldy

8. Edmonton: C. Caufield (I'm so sorry buddy.)

9. Anaheim: V. Podkolzin

10. Vancouver: T. Zegras (Boston College.)

11. Philadelphia: P. Krebs

12. Minnesota: A. Newhook

13. Florida: V. Soderstrom

14. Arizona: P. Broberg

15. Montreal: A. Kaliyev

1. Do you think the Oilers keep their pick?

2. Do you think they will pick another small forward again after taking Kailer Yamamoto with their 1st round pick in 2017?

45 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

1. strong 2 way game

2. ability to finish

Ability to finish IMO is incredibly overrated for a first rounder and isn't what scouts should look for primarily.

Hockey player's finishing abilities do not vary too much/as much across the NHL. However, variation in ability to create (skating, still etc...) is much higher.

The same goes with 2 way game. I don't care as much if a player isn't a polished 2 way player. High end talent is very much harder to find than ability to play in the defensive zone, which can be acquired.

I'm gonna contradict myself here by saying that I actually do like Caufield, whose main attribute is finishing, since it's historically elite and just unfathomable. He scored 80+ goals this year.

Edited by Grape

Some of the takes in this thread are just ridiculous regarding Caufield. Like the fact that he has double the goals than he has assists is a giant red flag..Hello? Seriously? It's almost like it's because he scores at such an insane rate!! The guy does nothing but score goals. Scores more goals than games he plays. 

And using a top pick one of the most important things to look for is their two way play? What?? Are the Devils going to draft Hughes because oh man he's this great two way player? Jesus. That take is so bad. No, you use a top pick on a high end forward for for their offensive potential (and overall potential.) If they're a good two player that's a bonus. If Jim Benning was thinking that we would not have Petey. 

On another note regarding Broberg, the fact that there's a lot of question marks about his hockey IQ takes him off the table for me. Thrown far off the table. You can't teach hockey IQ, and if there's any question marks that's not a risk you can afford to take. You have to hit on top 10 picks when you get them.

Edited by Wilfred

9 hours ago, TGokou said:

You know I was actually thinking the same thing. However I was thinking more around if he drops to 6th and still not picked. I was thinking 10th + Gaudette + 3rd (2019). Thinking that might get it done?

The value seems fair to me.  Dont know if we would have to add a 3rd.  

Gaudette is a highly rated prospect.  

Honestly the value is there for any pick past 2 IMO depending on what Edmontkn does.  

If they learn that Bryam is in play, they could go all in and drive the market up.  

Chi has a bevy of young D and Kieth, they could use some players all over the line up, but I dont see them passing on Podz.  

Colorado is gifted a 4th (thank God it's not the 1st) and has a good young defence.  They may be looking to unload Johnson due to cap space.  They have some big tickets to punch in the next year or two.  We could be a landing spot especially if Tanev, Stecher or Hutton go the other way with the 10th and Gaudette.  

Gaudette is on his ELC for 1 more year maybe 2 the has his RFA years so his cost would be controlled.  The 10th would yield avery good player, Krebs, Broberg, Soderstrom Cauflied and or Boldy could all be available.  

If the Lanche need to unload EJ, I would be happy to have him in Van.  We can move out a d man to make room.  Bryam could make.the jump as early as next year, we could make room.  Woo and OJ could be in the mix into next season and Hughes looks like a vet already.  

Gaudette is a good player, reminds me of Kesler in many ways minus the nude magazine covers. 

But adding a top pairing d man with great skating and a heavy shot is far more valuable.  

So two suggestions based on the Lanches needs.  

No cap space worries:

10th OA and Gaudette plus a pick, bottom six player or a 2nd tier prospect for the 4thOA.  

Fair deal and both sides get what they want.  

Second option is the help the Lanche clear cap space and improve at the same time.  

10th OA, Tanev and Gaudette plus to the Lanche for the 4th OA and Johnson.  

We can retain cap on Tanev of need be.  

2 hours ago, S N Y P E R S 7 said:

If Krebs is still there at 10 and we keep our pick...  done, done and done.  

Caulfield is a scout's call.  Is he the next St Louis or the next Schoeder?  I lean towards him becoming a successful NHLer due to his tenacity.  

My issue with the nucks, size in our top 6.  Can we add Caufield and be successful with a super skilled undersized team in the west?  

Take the BPA and run.  

That said, I would be in favour of trading up, targeting Bryam if the opportunity arises.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Add Woo to that.... 

How good is Jett Woo? This year admittedly I have had much less time to keep up with our prospects, this year. Is Woo good enough to be a lock on the NHL level yet? Does he project top 4? Third pairing?

3 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

The value seems fair to me.  Dont know if we would have to add a 3rd.  

Gaudette is a highly rated prospect.  

Honestly the value is there for any pick past 2 IMO depending on what Edmontkn does.  

If they learn that Bryam is in play, they could go all in and drive the market up.  

Chi has a bevy of young D and Kieth, they could use some players all over the line up, but I dont see them passing on Podz.  

Colorado is gifted a 4th (thank God it's not the 1st) and has a good young defence.  They may be looking to unload Johnson due to cap space.  They have some big tickets to punch in the next year or two.  We could be a landing spot especially if Tanev, Stecher or Hutton go the other way with the 10th and Gaudette.  

Gaudette is on his ELC for 1 more year maybe 2 the has his RFA years so his cost would be controlled.  The 10th would yield avery good player, Krebs, Broberg, Soderstrom Cauflied and or Boldy could all be available.  

If the Lanche need to unload EJ, I would be happy to have him in Van.  We can move out a d man to make room.  Bryam could make.the jump as early as next year, we could make room.  Woo and OJ could be in the mix into next season and Hughes looks like a vet already.  

Gaudette is a good player, reminds me of Kesler in many ways minus the nude magazine covers. 

But adding a top pairing d man with great skating and a heavy shot is far more valuable.  

So two suggestions based on the Lanches needs.  

No cap space worries:

10th OA and Gaudette plus a pick, bottom six player or a 2nd tier prospect for the 4thOA.  

Fair deal and both sides get what they want.  

Second option is the help the Lanche clear cap space and improve at the same time.  

10th OA, Tanev and Gaudette plus to the Lanche for the 4th OA and Johnson.  

We can retain cap on Tanev of need be.  

how do you know, if both sides get what they want? or are you saying, that both sides get what you want? a  lot of colorado fans, want byram. if he was available at 4, why would they trade that pick away?

8 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

how do you know, if both sides get what they want? or are you saying, that both sides get what you want? a  lot of colorado fans, want byram. if he was available at 4, why would they trade that pick away?

Go back a few posts and I referred to a few of the mock drafts and the speculative notes of the media types.  The ones I read or watched had Colorado looking for a center.  Turcotte was suggested to be a good fit in Colorado cause of his good two way game.  Thus I figured Gaudette could be a good trade bait along with our 1st.  

If Colorado is looking for a center to follow up after Mack ala Kesler and Hank,  and not a d man, they have a good young defence atm, then Gaudette is a great option.  

They get a good young cheap center with a ton of up side and whomever is at 10 a d we get Bryam to complete our defence, especially is Hughes moves to the right side next season.  

Win, win.  We have Madden and the swedish kid plus whomever JB gets in this draft.  Plus we can find a center in FA and have Grablund and Sutter to fill in along with Bo, Elias and Beagle.  

1 hour ago, Mr.53 said:

How good is Jett Woo? This year admittedly I have had much less time to keep up with our prospects, this year. Is Woo good enough to be a lock on the NHL level yet? Does he project top 4? Third pairing?

Dont think you could call him a lock for next year, but he could earn a 9 game stint.  

Woo was missed on the WJC team IMO.  His play forces other players to keep their heads up.and he can produce and a very decent clip.  

He has the gaps.in his game you would expect an 18 y/o top flight jr player to have.  He likely needs 1-2 years of AHL seasoning before he can take regular NHL minutes.  

IMO he is a cant miss player who will fit very nicely in our top for d mix.  

2 hours ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

I want JB to trade up, so we can acquire D. Cozens , hes played amazing on team canada this past week ....he has so much potential, and since we cant get kakko or j hughes , cozens is the next best thing for what vancouver, would need

If we are trading up, please let it be for Byram.  Switch Hughes over to right side (Hughes says he plays both sides equally well) and we have a future top 4 of 

Byram Hughes

OJ  Woo.  

That is a killer top 4 defence.  

The puck movement and transition game I would.expect from that group is night and day from our current d corps.  

Edited by Phat Fingers

37 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Go back a few posts and I referred to a few of the mock drafts and the speculative notes of the media types.  The ones I read or watched had Colorado looking for a center.  Turcotte was suggested to be a good fit in Colorado cause of his good two way game.  Thus I figured Gaudette could be a good trade bait along with our 1st.  

If Colorado is looking for a center to follow up after Mack ala Kesler and Hank,  and not a d man, they have a good young defence atm, then Gaudette is a great option.  

They get a good young cheap center with a ton of up side and whomever is at 10 a d we get Bryam to complete our defence, especially is Hughes moves to the right side next season.  

Win, win.  We have Madden and the swedish kid plus whomever JB gets in this draft.  Plus we can find a center in FA and have Grablund and Sutter to fill in along with Bo, Elias and Beagle.  

if turcotte is the centre they wanted, wouldn’t they hope to get him at 4th pick. gaudette may have a good future but he may not either. they won’t want tanev, injury prone. 

i read the colorado fan’s boards and some want a centre and some want byram. i’m just saying that everyone is as confused as we are. i know i have no idea of who JB is looking at at 10.

42 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Dont think you could call him a lock for next year, but he could earn a 9 game stint.  

Woo was missed on the WJC team IMO.  His play forces other players to keep their heads up.and he can produce and a very decent clip.  

He has the gaps.in his game you would expect an 18 y/o top flight jr player to have.  He likely needs 1-2 years of AHL seasoning before he can take regular NHL minutes.  

IMO he is a cant miss player who will fit very nicely in our top for d mix.  

Ok. I'm not expecting him to be a lock next year, but if he's good enough that he has solid top 4 potential as a true defensive presence with upside, that's a win.

You see him being a partner to Quinn Hughes in the future?

I think Juolevi and Soderstrom could be a good pairing. Can Woo be good for Hughes?