The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ICBC Situation.

BoHorvat

4 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Why is that a scam? I debated it myself but it will devalue the insured car with it being an out of province title. 

Trying to avoid paying the ridiculous rates to a local monopoly is not a scam in my book. It's trying to AVOID a scam. 

I see your point in the last paragraph as ICBC is gouging.  I just feel that if you live in bc you pay in bc.  I’m kind of straight up that way.

when I worked in Saskatchewan I insured zone z to protect myself for out of province accidents.  It wasn’t a burden cost wise.

7 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Exactly, if you pull out of a bar, known drug house, look suspicious etc. they may run your plates.

Otherwise for the most part they dont do it.

Not true.  I’m clean cut.  Was in my work truck with my wife.  I was pumping gas and the cruiser pulled up behind me and by his eyes I was certain he was running them.

whatever.  I’m in good standing.  But still.  It was in Squamish where they send newb cops and that wasn’t the first time an officer pulled a stunt on me in that town.

Ha, no sympathy or pucks given for the OP’s story in here.

Sorry bud. Tough crowd, but ya, you’re Behaviour is at the root of these symptoms. Don’t clog up the courts with stupid crap. 

While driving, I put on 50k a year all over the province in all kind of weather and road conditions. It has always irked me that I get a sideways glance from some downtown guy about my couple of speeding tickets, the same guy who drives in a traffic jam or not at all. We are not equals.

Well, that’s my share of the day. 

17 hours ago, riffraff said:

Not true.  I’m clean cut.  Was in my work truck with my wife.  I was pumping gas and the cruiser pulled up behind me and by his eyes I was certain he was running them.

whatever.  I’m in good standing.  But still.  It was in Squamish where they send newb cops and that wasn’t the first time an officer pulled a stunt on me in that town.

I didn’t say never, I said for the most part.

I was leaving restaurant years ago, clean cut well dressed driving a BMW.

Cop followed me all the way to the highway and ran my plates.

No DUI’s, speeding tickets etc, I don’t even drink.

I guarantee you that if I had prior convictions, he would have made up an excuse to pull me over.

On ‎2018‎-‎07‎-‎14 at 12:04 PM, sonoman said:

Driving is a priveledge, not a right.  50 year driver with 3 tickets, 2 accidents (1 my fault) and consistently drive 10-15 over all the time. People need to take more responsibility for their actions and not blame others or the system for the troubles they created. 

Pretty much 

On ‎2018‎-‎07‎-‎14 at 1:57 AM, BoHorvat said:
A situation occurred during the 4 months where I had to quickly jump into the car (Stupid decision on my part) and drive a few blocks away from my house.

I call BS. Sure, perhaps the time they caught you was a short drive near your house, but I bet it wasn't the only time.

He explained that I was suppose to reinstate my license as soon as the 3 months had gone by. (Lawyer should have been the one to tell me that right away. Yes I know, horrible lawyer).

Horrible lawyer? Was he supposed to hold your hand too? Perhaps let you know when it was time to get an oil change?

Sound like you didn't do your due diligence here, and made sure you understood the rules.

I will possibly have to rent another car for me to get to work because there is no transit that can take me to my work at the times my shifts start.

If there really is a problem every time you drive your car and get your plate run, then perhaps just renting a car is the best course of action. There is nothing tying your name to the registration of the vehicle on a random plate check.

I will be contacting global news and CTV news and hope they can help me spread this message. I will be talking with another lawyer and hoping this clears up and I get reimbursed for everything I've paid from my pocket towards my tows, car rentals and ICBC.

I don't believe the details of your story. However, even if it was completely true, here' the thing...nobody cares. A young punk who treats driving as a right, and runs up tickets (putting others' safety at risk), drives without a license, and doesn't take the time to understand the basic rules and regulations of his license isn't going to get sympathy from most people. In the end, it's still your fault, and spinning your story to put the blame on others is childish. Even if a news outlet picks up your message, it won't be to fix some sort of grand injustice in the social order...it will be to put a story on that will generate discussion, most of which will be people saying you're an idiot.

(People thinking the poster known as BoHorvat is an idiot is one thing...we don't know you, and it has no effect on your real life. However, if this is on the news it will be tied to your name, and could affect you in all sorts of negative ways in the future. For instance, if I was an employer hiring, and doing a basic Google search on your name, and coming across this, that would be a giant red flag against you..."flaunts authority, doesn't grasp details, blames others, goes to extreme lengths to fight perceived wrongs against himself, etc.")

If a lawyer thinks you have a case to get refunded money, then perhaps it's worth pursuing behind the scenes...however, I'd use caution that you're not just running up additional bills for no reason. If the first lawyer charged you $3,000, what will the second one cost? It sounds like this will involve more work, so probably more money. How much could you potentially get back? What are the odds of succeeding? It doesn't sound worth it financially to me, let alone the extra hassle.

On 2018-07-14 at 2:16 PM, Honeydew said:

After reading the fact that you didn't surrender your license when you're suppose to when you're suspended is a red flag for them. You must surrender your driver's license if you're being suspended. The reason why you were pulled on on the police officer as a prohibited driver is because of that reason, by law you're suppose to surrender your license if you're being suspended. I know because I've been suspended twice and had to surrender my license to start my probation period. Even if your suspension is "Over" by the claims of the the letter saying that it was 4 months, it's suppose to be four months from the time you SURRENDER your license to ICBC. 

Correct. I too have been suspended twice and first thing the letter said was the prohibition does not begin until your license has been mailed in to their office or in person. States pretty clearly on the letter and on ICBC's website and is not in any fine print that anyone could have missed. You wait your months and then go back to an ICBC branch to reinstate your license and pay the fee.

I sympathize with you OP but as many others have already said, if the ICBC rep had told you that you didn't have to surrender it, that's negligence on their part but also negligence on your end to not fully read the letter that was sent to you in the mail. If you needed to drive somewhere while suspended and it was only a few blocks away, could you not have stayed within the neighbourhoods and worked your way to your destination without staying out on the main roads for long? Probably the easiest way to drive while suspended without getting caught as police cruisers are almost always on the main road and never in a neighbourhood unless they're doing a crime watch or were called to the area.

On 2018-07-14 at 7:36 AM, BoHorvat said:

Any time they're driving behind me, they run my plates and it shows up on their screen in their cars.

This here tells me there is more to this story. Good luck, but I feel like you are driving around in a car that is wrapped in f*** the police stickers or something.

On 7/15/2018 at 12:22 AM, riffraff said:

Now they use license plate scanners... able to see all plates and their computer tells them who's expired etc.

Archived