The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[2018-2019] Canucks Prospects Stat Tracker

Figured this was the best thread for this to go:

Obviously Pettersson pulled our average up a crazy amount, but we also have the most high end prospects according to this metric. Hughes is obviously up there and I assume that Juolevi is still being included. My guesses for the remaining 3 prospects would be Madden, Woo and Gaudette.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

An update on our young player's conversion numbers. We actually have the most productive young player charted (Pettersson) and the most players with above average production (5: Pettersson, Hughes, Madden, Woo with the last player likely being Juolevi). 

• Like 1

When you see those charts above you need to be thankful for Benning and how this rebuild could turn around fairly quickly!

6 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

An update on our young player's conversion numbers. We actually have the most productive young player charted (Pettersson) and the most players with above average production (5: Pettersson, Hughes, Madden, Woo with the last player likely being Juolevi). 

Im going to guess that last player your referring to is actually Gaudette, but it might be Juolevi.

Be excited for the future ladies and gentlemen! Draft, develop, patience and we will have a Stanley cup competitive team!

5 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

When you see those charts above you need to be thankful for Benning and how this rebuild could turn around fairly quickly!

Im going to guess that last player your referring to is actually Gaudette, but it might be Juolevi.

Be excited for the future ladies and gentlemen! Draft, develop, patience and we will have a Stanley cup competitive team!

I previously thought it could be Gaudette as well based on his AHL numbers, but his NHL numbers likely drag him down. Juolevi's numbers (purely offensively) were very good this year and there was no point where his production dropped off really like Gaudette's in the NHL. 

2 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I previously thought it could be Gaudette as well based on his AHL numbers, but his NHL numbers likely drag him down. Juolevi's numbers (purely offensively) were very good this year and there was no point where his production dropped off really like Gaudette's in the NHL. 

Ahh that would make sense... Shows the difficulty with the graphic then. One would hope it would weigh heavier on the AHL numbers considering he's a rookie in both leagues.

Any way you look at it though its still very promising for us Canucks fans!

OP updated (Except for draft eligible guys; thinking about changing this).

Jett Woo is now on pace with Hughes for p/pg by dman (though I think it would be easy to argue that Hughes plays in a more difficult league).

Brassard has really taken off since his trade.

On the topic of trades, Dipietro has now won 4 straight with his new team. 

On 2/4/2019 at 9:39 PM, Down by the River said:

OP updated (Except for draft eligible guys; thinking about changing this).

May I recommend a third colour to your charts? Something like yellow for the PPG comparison when you compare against different leagues. Example being Pettersson in red currently due to his PPG being lower then the SHL. 

Just a thought, love the work you've been doing!

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

May I recommend a third colour to your charts? Something like yellow for the PPG comparison when you compare against different leagues. Example being Pettersson in red currently due to his PPG being lower then the SHL. 

Just a thought, love the work you've been doing!

This is a good idea. I'll keep the font as green if they are outperforming their p/pg in a weaker league, but I will change to yellow if they have a lower p/pg but that it is probably moreso related to playing in a more competitive league. 

• Upvote 1

Mitch Eliot belongs on the list:

RHD, 6' and 190 lbs, turned 21 on Feb 6

OHL Sarnia Sting ..... 57 games, 15 goals and 31 assists

And great job, DBTR. - I check this thread frequently to see how our lads are doing around the world !!

Edited by Googlie
  • Upvote 1

OP updated through last night's games.

The non-pro and Europe guys are all done their seasons. I'll provide some more detailed updates later. Normally I would have been more diligent with updating more regularly, but work has been getting in the way of time/motivation to do this. 

I might make a thread tracking playoff stats for key prospects, but if someone else is on this, I will back off.  

OP updated.

I think we were all expecting an exciting year in Utica. Unfortunately, injuries to key players plus half a dozen call-ups to the NHL seemed to hamstring the Comets. There is also obviously going to have to be an audit of how things are being run in Utica and whether the development of Lind and Gadjovich is being stunted or whether they are just being taught to play the right way. Is it best to give the young guys all the top opportunities/PP time, or do they need to rip these opportunities away from older vets?

Palmu went to Europe and everyone freaked out. Haven't heard much from those people ever since Palmu started putting up very mediocre numbers. Maybe an over-age 6th round pick just isn't that good?

Hard to judge whether Dahlen was a mistake given it appears he was injured to close out the season for the Baraccuda (I did not check whether he was definitely injured).

On to the good news.

I thought Boeser's last 20ish games were among the best he's played. His game against St. Louis might have been one of his best games as a Canuck. He attacked with speed, held onto the puck, and showed that he is much more than just a guy that will put up 25 goals a la Michael Ryder. He had a tougher start to the year, not only because of injuries, but because he looked careless with the puck. Green definitely had him on a longer leash than Goldy.

Petey was obviously the Canucks' most exciting player (though I give MVP to Markstrom). Although he struggled down the stretch, I appreciated he didn't sacrifice defensive play. He also went to the dirty areas (the game against St. Louis was another great example). He went to the front of the net looking for tip-ins, loose pucks, etc. Obviously he doesn't have the frame to play this style of game, but I appreciated him understanding that this is what will be expected of him as he becomes the team's most important player. He'll have to find a wide range of ways to score goals. Looking forward to seeing how he does with a full off-season injury free (recall the broken thumb last year). I hope he doesn't got to the World's. 

Quinn Hughes had a mediocre college season (still great by general standards, but not by his own). His shot might be worse that Stetcher's. If he wants to be a perennial 60-point dman, that will have to change. Fortunately, with today's technology, size isn't the only factor in having a great shot (Petey says hi). Canucks 3-3 OT will be must-watch next year. The Lightning will probably have something to say about who can put together the most talented 3-3 trio, but the Canucks are now  top 5 I'd say. 

Demko looked like he fit in just fine. Nice to see him have a strong game against St. Louis. 

It is harder to put Woo's season into context because there are so few WHL-based defencemen drafted in similar positions. When it comes to WHL dmen, Hughes had a similar or better p/pg compared to other high-end draft picks in their Draft+1 season, including Jusso Valimaki (16th overall), Cal Foote (14th overall), Jake Bean (13th overall), and Lucas Johansen (28th overall). 

I think DiPietro didn't have as strong a season as he might have hoped for. He looked good at the WJHC but didn't improve on his numbers from last year. That said, he's 5-0 in the playoffs. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Again, this just seemed like the best place to post this. 

The A ranking on defense is kind of surprising, but it's nice to see an outside source confident in our group. Demko that low is also a surprise, but probably not a big deal.