The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If you've never watched Jack Hughes play, watch this shift-by-shift video of his two-goal performance against Youngstown of the USHL last March. See what the hype is all about.

Blade Paradigm

It's very, very easy for people to develop excitement for players they've never seen before based on word of mouth and hype. Over the last couple of years, some very dedicated people have started to commit time and effort towards constructing full shift-by-shift videos of many top draft-eligible players so that hockey fans can evaluate these players for themselves. No longer are articles the only way for fans to familiarize themselves with every upcoming draft class.

Scouting is no longer some mysterious, underground activity exclusive to those with access to lengthy travel schedules and live viewings. Let's remove the mystery from these highly-touted prospects.

Jack Hughes is considered at this point in time to be the consensus #1 overall prospect of the 2019 NHL draft class. I personally have Kaapo Kakko rated #1, but everyone here has the opportunity to evaluate these players for themselves. I invite you all to do so.

If you want to see even more of Hughes, here are two more shift-by-shift videos:

March 16, 2018 vs Madison Capitols (USHL): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDsS1TVzYfA

August 4, 2018 vs Team Canada (U20 World Junior Summer Showcase): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xAtJy0ZduU

If Jack wants to ever make it as a C in the NHL, he better work on his faceoffs. Barely won 5 in that video. Also, I'm really impressed by the Islanders' picks in Wahlstrom and Wilde. They had a good draft in June.

Also, I hope the Vegas Golden Knights draft goalie Spencer Knight just for his name. ::D

13 hours ago, Blade Paradigm said:

It's very, very easy for people to develop excitement for players they've never seen before based on word of mouth and hype. Over the last couple of years, some very dedicated people have started to commit time and effort towards constructing full shift-by-shift videos of many top draft-eligible players so that hockey fans can evaluate these players for themselves. No longer are articles the only way for fans to familiarize themselves with every upcoming draft class.

Scouting is no longer some mysterious, underground activity exclusive to those with access to lengthy travel schedules and live viewings. Let's remove the mystery from these highly-touted prospects.

Jack Hughes is considered at this point in time to be the consensus #1 overall prospect of the 2019 NHL draft class. I personally have Kaapo Kakko rated #1, but everyone here has the opportunity to evaluate these players for themselves. I invite you all to do so.

If you want to see even more of Hughes, here are two more shift-by-shift videos:

March 16, 2018 vs Madison Capitols (USHL): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDsS1TVzYfA

August 4, 2018 vs Team Canada (U20 World Junior Summer Showcase): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xAtJy0ZduU

3 mins into that video and Hughes looked awful.

Give him credit, Jack did battle during those clips, but for a center he really is small and light (5'10", 168 lbs)... there was one shift where he was dumped 3 times, and the #20 in white (Curtis Hall, 4th round pick by Boston) really had his number in the dot.  Of course, he will have time to grow, but those "McDavid like qualities" had better really help him separate himself physically in the league as he'll probably be targeted by opposing defenses from the get-go (not saying it's impossible for small guys to thrive given what guys like Kane and Keller have shown so far).

Archived