The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL has some explaining to do

ebey11

25 minutes ago, Rounoush said:

They wrote the rule as "distinct kicking motion" to cut out the prior confusion of kicking pucks in. If the guy takes weight off one leg and is moving it to propel a puck in (like the many clips linked and last night's game show), it is a non-goal. Turning your feet, sliding into the puck or it bouncing off of your skates is a good goal. Consistency is what we demand.

well said........I actually don't mind goals off skates, as long as it's not "kicked or directed" into the net.  How any person, ref or not, could look at the replay of that goal and not think it was a kicking motion is beyond me.  

Funny when people say it had no impact in the final result. Sports is all about momentum and moments that shift momentum. The final score is the end result of many moments of momentum.

a game can shift at any momentum point...early goal, penalty kill, penalty goal etc 

thats the beauty of sport....you really never know what direction a game will go

when a call happens like it did at that point in the game it impacts the direction of the game and had it not happened knowbody knows what direction the game would go. But with a 2 goal lead it gave it was a turn for the worst 

so yes it made a difference 

3 hours ago, Rounoush said:

They wrote the rule as "distinct kicking motion" to cut out the prior confusion of kicking pucks in. If the guy takes weight off one leg and is moving it to propel a puck in (like the many clips linked and last night's game show), it is a non-goal. Turning your feet, sliding into the puck or it bouncing off of your skates is a good goal. Consistency is what we demand.

On last nights goal he turned his skate. It was deemed a good goal. Is there a consensus it was a good goal? Nope. As I said it's not as black and white as using video to see a puck cross a line. It's subjective to what a distinct kicking motion is. Demand all you want you'll never get consistency on this type of call because it's open to opinion.

15 hours ago, Baggins said:

On last nights goal he turned his skate. It was deemed a good goal. Is there a consensus it was a good goal? Nope. As I said it's not as black and white as using video to see a puck cross a line. It's subjective to what a distinct kicking motion is. Demand all you want you'll never get consistency on this type of call because it's open to opinion.

A distinct kicking motion is the motion of one's foot towards the puck... why do you keep saying it is open to interpretation?

Did the player kick the puck? Yes, as evidenced by his right leg moving towards the puck, against the natural path of his movement. It's pretty clear that if he hadn't KICKED at the puck, his natural glide would have resulted in his skate deflecting the puck to the sideboards, or missing it entirely. 

There is nothing open to interpretation here. If he continued gliding and didn't KICK at the puck, then it's a good goal. 

On 2018-11-14 at 7:37 AM, EdgarM said:

I don't know how this can continue now that there is video review. I guess we are all blind with "homerism" and we are just looking at this(and many others) with bias eyeballs. 

I like how the NHL also makes it so that no one can comment on referee's actions as well. What a bush league and an embarrassment to our great sport.

That’s exactly what it is if you believe there’s a conspiracy.

evry single team in this league gets screwed I watch center ice and every teams commentators and fans and coaches all are in disbelief and think their victims.

we only scored two goals, and abllowdd four other ones then this one. We’re not going to win many games with that formula.

we don’t ice a good enough team yet what don’t people get?

On 2018-11-14 at 11:51 AM, Baer. said:

Don't know why you are getting hostile... You are speaking in hypotheticals. I'm saying it doesn't matter because Canucks would have lost either way. Perhaps players play harder when they are only down one goal as opposed to 2. However, I'm sure NHL players are expected to play at 100% regardless of the score or how much time is left.

Exactly. What you may call discussing I may call complaining.

Cool. You done complaining yet?

Archived