The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I'm going two thumbs up on the Antoine Roussel signing

*Buzzsaw*

On 12/6/2018 at 11:23 PM, *Buzzsaw* said:

Some people have suggested the Canucks paid too much for Roussel, or the term was too long.

But at this point in the season I have to put this in the 'win' column for Benning.

----

Looking objectively at his play, this is what I see:

Negatives

-  Occasional stupid penalty from pushing the issue too much

Positives

-  Incredible hustle... this guy is a Pac Man on steroids... he never stops... never takes a game off... never is invisible.  CONSISTENT.

-  Great acceleration off a standing stop... maybe not the highest top speed, but he is excellent at breaking out of the zone and taking advantage of defensive gaffs.

-  Nice passing skills... good vision on the ice, and always looking to set his linemates up.

-  Decent shot... not the best finisher, but he has a lot of chances.

-  Great agitator, always on the other team, continually annoyance, continual yapping in their faces.

-  Fearless... willing to go at any time and basically with almost anyone.  Sticks up for his teammates instantly and without hesitation.

-  Capable of playing anywhere in the lineup... 1st line/4th line... very flexible... which is a great positive for a coach dealing with injuries.

-  Despite being a very physical player who is in the thick of things at all times, never seems to get injured... basically a gnarly dude.

----

Roussel now has 11 points on 26 games...  that translates to approx. 30 pts on the season.  When you combine that with all his other attributes, I think it is a  win.

29 years old this season... that makes him 33 when the contract is over... certainly not over the hill.

And this guy is EXACTLY what Playoff contenders want to acquire at the trade deadline....  Benning can trade him for assets any time he wants.

From my perspective this has turned into a great signing.   ;)

I just love how canucks.com jumps around and lives in the moment. One game is great but spread it around a bit. where was this post five maybe ten games ago? i do like him. but your pros and cons list is based off of one game and hype like a thirteen year old girl. And im saying this strictly because there is no way your list would of been this ten games ago. I agree that he is a valuable part but its very quietly been that part. you are promoting him like he is a key part of the team which is not the case. If he would of done that maybe five more times previously than yes. but it just hasnt been the case. consistency is huge and sometimes our fans forget that and live in the moment. One of the reasons why burrows made it big in this league was because he was constant. thats something rousell has not demonstrated with us. to come out and make this post is very canuck.com like......very bandwagon like. show me consistency and then yes your post will make a ton of sense...otherwise your like the others who are satisfied with one game performances

a good team needs to have good 4th line players too, with leadership qualities, and play a hard nose game.  

when Mike Gillis came in he addressed it right away as one of his first moves.  Dave Nonis had the newbish mentality that because a 4th line player is playing a (minor) role to the team, he never really added quality 4th line players.  Gillis came in and right away brought in Ryan Johnson and Darcy Hordichuk, who were quality players with good character that had experience in the NHL and knew how to play the role very well. 

Jim Benning also did the same, by brining in Derek Dorset, which was a huuuuuge loss to us last year when he had to announce retirement.  

Rouselle is brought in to play a similar role, although they are not, Dorset seems to be a guy not afraid to bring it on against actual heavy weights, having Rousell is actually necessary.  

Count me in as a fan of Roussel.  

He has been everything as advertised.

I know some guys didn’t initially like the signing due to the poor year he had last year, but I always suspected that it had more to do with him being an incompatible fit for Hitchcock’s system as opposed to Roussel being washed up.

I’d be interested in seeing Roussel play more with Pettersson and Boeser.  

Archived