The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New York Rangers at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 13, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

10 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

i know your a fan of pouliot, not saying tonight was a win because of it, but tonight wasnt all that great either, hopefully hughes comes friday, but shcenn and pouliot was a difference

I'm a fan of no one in particular, really.  I'm a fan of giving Pouliot a fair assessment, not the blown headgaskets of the typical GDT - or error-gazing and incessantly dwelling on individual situations/moments in a game.   Correction - there are some hard workers that I tend to prefer - guys like Motte, Beagle, Stecher, EP - I tend to give an edge to players that have and give 'edge', but I'm a fan of all Canucks.

Pouliot is nowhere near as bad as the whipping-boy-gaggle suggests - always needing a outlet to pile on. 

I'm a fan of looking at the whole - strengths and weaknesses (and Pouliot has some of both).

I like Sautner and Brisebois as well - but I'm not going to pretend that the 8 minutes Brisebois played made a particular difference over Pouliot in the lineup.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

I'm a fan of no one in particular, really.  I'm a fan of giving Pouliot a fair assessment, not the blown headgaskets of the typical GDT - or error-gazing and incessantly dwelling on individual situations/moments in a game.   Correction - there are some hard workers that I tend to prefer - guys like Motte, Beagle, Stecher, EP - I tend to give an edge to players that have and give 'edge', but I'm a fan of all Canucks.

Pouliot is nowhere near as bad as the whipping-boy-gaggle suggests - always needing a outlet to pile on. 

I'm a fan of looking at the whole - strengths and weaknesses (and Pouliot has some of both).

I like Sautner and Brisebois as well - but I'm not going to pretend that the 8 minutes Brisebois played made a particular difference over Pouliot in the lineup.

I know Pouliot played well last game, but a week and a half ago he gave the puck away and the best team in the Pacific scored a goal. He’s awful... :bigblush:

Motte 14.3% ozone starts, 43.3% corsi

Beagle 16.7% and  40.9%

Granlund 28.6% and 60%

Thought those three were outstanding last night, in spite of the GDT shots taken at Granlund for not finishing/producing.

Granlund was second to Edler in ice-time last night = over 21 minutes - and like/with his linemates, gave up nothing.

Just now, oldnews said:

Motte 14.3% ozone starts, 43.3% corsi

Beagle 16.7% and  40.9%

Granlund 28.6% and 60%

Thought those three were outstanding last night, in spite of the GDT shots taken at Granlund for not finishing/producing.

Granlund was second to Edler in ice-time last night = over 21 minutes - and like/with his linemates, gave up nothing.

I wish Granlund would find his finish again other than that zero issue with how he plays here. 

14 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Eriksson will be traded or stay on our roster, it doesn't save us that much cap sending him to Utica and no owner will be okay with a player @$6mill per being in Utica for 3 years. Unless he’s traded were stuck with him in our bottom 6. 

What you say makes sense.  The only reason I think Eriksson might be waived is to compel him, Eriksson, to make a decision.  I think he retires if confronted with Utica for the rest of his contract.  A Swedish player did exactly that recently... can't recall his name... but rather than collect his NHL money in the minors for 2 more years, he retired.  The team was thrilled of course.

Just now, gameburn said:

What you say makes sense.  The only reason I think Eriksson might be waived is to compel him, Eriksson, to make a decision.  I think he retires if confronted with Utica for the rest of his contract.  A Swedish player did exactly that recently... can't recall his name... but rather than collect his NHL money in the minors for 2 more years, he retired.  The team was thrilled of course.

I have the feeling he may consider retiring even without that tactic. His remaining salary after bonus is like $9mil after July 2nd. It's just poor optics on the team and Loui if he's buried in the minors. 

While I 100% agree he's nowhere near a $6mil player anymore, he most definitely is an NHL level player. 

27 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Smaller skilled forwards but big Dmen is the new NHL. 

It's still evolving but a team can't have too many Stecher or Hughes size Dmen.

Tampa's smallest Dman is Stralman 5'11 190lbs. Everyone else is big. Averaging around 6'3 215 lbs

In fairness to Stecher he does play well above his weight and easily knocking Matthews down shows that. With the emergence of Stecher I'd be willing to move Tanev to bring in some more size. 

I think Myers is a definite target this offseason too. We desperately need a net front presence. 

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

I have the feeling he may consider retiring even without that tactic. His remaining salary after bonus is like $9mil after July 2nd. It's just poor optics on the team and Loui if he's buried in the minors. 

While I 100% agree he's nowhere near a $6mil player anymore, he most definitely is an NHL level player. 

The optics are shocking: he makes the same money as Nathan McKinnon, lol. (125,000 less than McK.) And more money than Horvat lol.  To me, it looks like another Gagner situation: contract is worse, and the history is longer, but about the same.  Which.... kind of makes your point, lol: as Gagner was traded.  Of course that was after being waived... LOL, we'll both be right!! 

9 minutes ago, gameburn said:

why not let him play it out on the 4th line, playing pk mins?  He's certainly not hurting the team with his play.

2 minutes ago, gameburn said:

The optics are shocking: he makes the same money as Nathan McKinnon, lol. (125,000 less than McK.) And more money than Horvat lol.  To me, it looks like another Gagner situation: contract is worse, and the history is longer, but about the same.  Which.... kind of makes your point, lol: as Gagner was traded.  Of course that was after being waived... LOL, we'll both be right!! 

who cares what he makes?  It's completely irrelevant for the forseeable future

11 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

That's just it our 3 most valueable pieces have never shown any interest in being moved. That alone puts us behind what the Rangers had to work with. 

If I go to a player like Edler and say would you consider a trade, he will say no. If a manager comes in and goes to everyone's agent and say we are going to blow this team up. We want your players to understand that and would like a list. We are going to strip this team down. Most players will eventually say ok. 

This year with Edler they are in one hand saying we want you to resign and yet they say that they asked if he would waive to go to Calgary. LOL

They needed to set a plan and follow it. Edler we want you to resign or Edler we will not be extending your contract and we want to move you. Your time here is done and we would like to get some assets out of you and intern help you to get set up some where new. 

That was the first thing that Linden should have done. Then their first year should have been to turn players into assets and they had more players then what you have listed. You know that and are just trying to make it look like they had no other choice's but what they did. They chose to prop things up and do a build on the fly, so "they called it". Plug a few holes and drag it out for a few more years.

Lets move on now and hope they put more of a priority on draft picks now and in a few years if that doesn't work you can remind me of how I was wrong.  :towel:

I still hope that Jim and company is very cautious with UFA deals. I am not saying none but …….         We are a few good young pieces away yet. No rush.

Me and you both want this team to become a winner and hopefully not just that but a Stanley cup champion. We just see a different path. I will be happy if it is your way as long as it works.

Just now, stawns said:

why not let him play it out on the 4th line, playing pk mins?  He's certainly not hurting the team with his play.

2 possible reasons: 1) it's bad for morale to have the highest paid player on your team killing time; 2) other players need opportunity.  For the moment though, your argument is better; Eriksson is worth keeping for a while longer.  If there is ever cap concern or if other players (prospects) need opportunity, then his days are numbered. 

2 hours ago, Darius said:

A good option for sure, but hopefully not at an astronomical price.   Something needs to be done though.  Says a lot about team toughness when the coach is probably the toughest guy on the team. 

Problem is, the bar has been set when Edmonton gave Looch multi years at 6 million.

My guess is that Ferland gets at least that much and probably more, considering how rare a commodity he is....

23 minutes ago, gameburn said:

I believe you're referring to Patrik Berglund. He didn't retire as far as I know, but he mutually agreed to terminate his contract. I think it went beyond hockey reasons as to why he did that as he seemed to have lost passion in the game after the way his situation was handled when traded.

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Well, if I were Biega or Roussel I might care. (Or they might not care, I don't know.) Fans care.

It may not be relevant here, but I've always hated it when a co-worker was paid a lot more than me and did dick to earn it.  

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I believe you're referring to Patrik Berglund. He didn't return as far as I know, but he mutually agreed to terminate his contract. I think it went beyond hockey reasons as to why he did that as he seemed to have lost passion in the game after the way his situation was handled when traded.

Berglund… yes … that's the guy I was thinking of.  It sounds a bit different from what I was thinking, maybe a hint of what to do with players like Eriksson, maybe not.  Thanks for chasing down Berglund's situation: I looked for a mid-season retirement and couldn't find him. 

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

The problem with Loui is he plays some times like he doesn't want to be here. His salary accents that to bring it into a realm where it is an embarrassment on the team and management.

I think loui is a guy who did not sign up for a rebuild. Not happy about playing on a bottom feeder. Who knows what they promised him , or sold him on. If that is the case then he will be tradable. His agent will know the truth.

7 minutes ago, gameburn said:

Well, if I were Biega or Roussel I might care. (Or they might not care, I don't know.) Fans care.

It may not be relevant here, but I've always hated it when a co-worker was paid a lot more than me and did dick to earn it.  

players don't care what other players make, as it's none of their business and they understand there

fans opinions don't matter one iota, especially regarding contracts

Also, LE is a contributor, just not in the way he was hired to be........doesn't mean he doesn't have value to the team.

Just now, appleboy said:

The problem with Loui is he plays some times like he doesn't want to be here. His salary accents that to bring it into a realm where it is an embarrassment on the team and management.

I think loui is a guy who did not sign up for a rebuild. Not happy about playing on a bottom feeder. Who knows what they promised him , or sold him on. If that is the case then he will be tradable. His agent will know the truth.

I'd have no issue with him being traded, for no other reason than not having to hear the constant whine from fans.

Archived