The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Draisatl

Rate this topic

HKSR

With the season coming to a close soon, I was just taking a closer look at this season's top scoring list and just realized Draisatl quietly put up a 50 goal campaign.  Considering how rare it is to see a player pop in 50 nowadays, it kinda went by unheralded.  Poor guy plays in the shadows of McDavid all the time, and even when he does something as incredible as scoring 50 in a season, nobody really talks about it.  He has gotta be one of the best German hockey players of all time (with all due respect to Sven Butenschon).  The Oilers lucked out that he didn't fall into the terrible development trap that the Oilers seem to have for their prospects.

Anyways, always nice to see players from non-traditional 'hockey power' countries do well in the NHL. 

Edit:  Even more impressive is the fact he's the first player since Stamkos and Malkin in 2011/12 to score 50 in a season from someone other than Ovechkin.

Edited by HKSR

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

With the season coming to a close soon, I was just taking a closer look at this season's top scoring list and just realized Draisatl quietly put up a 50 goal campaign.  Considering how rare it is to see a player pop in 50 nowadays, it kinda went by unheralded.  Poor guy plays in the shadows of McDavid all the time, and even when he does something as incredible as scoring 50 in a season, nobody really talks about it.  He has gotta be one of the best German hockey players of all time (with all due respect to Sven Butenschon).  The Oilers lucked out that he didn't fall into the terrible development trap that the Oilers seem to have for their prospects.

Anyways, always nice to see players from non-traditional 'hockey power' countries do well in the NHL. 

probably the best. we´ll never know if Erich Kühnhackl would have had some success in the NHL cuz he never played there. 

Draisaitl allready passed Sturm , Hecht , Ehrhoff and Seidenberg. 

But dont forget about Goalie Grubauer ...he could be also a great one . 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bombastik der Teutone said:

probably the best. we´ll never know if Erich Kühnhackl would have had some success in the NHL cuz he never played there. 

When I think German hockey, Uwe Krupp always comes to mind.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

I don't think it went as 'unheralded' as you might think.

It was built up pretty good going into the final weekend of the season from the networks - Global/SNW/TSN and a lot of local media.

Draisaitl was sitting on 49g going into the final game of the season vs their arch-enemies Cgy - with ZERO to play for (CGY had wrapped up the west and Coilers wrapped up another losing season) this was essentially the only thing on the line. 

I remember it being built up quite a bit that final weekend but I'm glad if nobody else remembers it that way because who really cares about the Coil, right.....?  Plus Ovi beat him for the Rocket so there's that to rub it in anyway....lol...

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Bombastik der Teutone said:

Olaf Kolzig was a pretty decent goalie in his day.

• Upvote 2