The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Two Van Deals(Proposals)

Bit of a rush this morn, so just gonna post these. Noticed that Habs(Snet) are banged up, just as they got rolling.

Deal #1: Van: Schaller

Habs: 2020 4th rounder.

With guys returning, we need to create cap space. Although hosting next draft, Habs have a slew of 4th's

************************************************** & then...**************************************************

Deal #2:Van: Stecher, Pearson.(maybe eat 300-500k of TS's hit, if necc?)

Leafs: Ceci, Mikheyev

Ceci might fare okay on the 3rd pairing. Punted in spring, at the end of season. Mikheyev is the intriguing piece, that I think could flourish(perhaps with Bo). Maybe Pod & Tree give us a Russki-3, somewheres down the line?

Leafs could rush into a sell-low deal, out of desperation. Besides, they got plenty of 'O'..need some gritty character.

I like Stecher, but with Hughes obvious presence, we need to surround the D with overall size/durability in the other 5.

36 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Bit of a rush this morn, so just gonna post these. Noticed that Habs(Snet) are banged up, just as they got rolling.

Deal #1: Van: Schaller

Habs: 2020 4th rounder.

With guys returning, we need to create cap space. Although hosting next draft, Habs have a slew of 4th's

************************************************** & then...**************************************************

Deal #2:Van: Stecher, Pearson.(maybe eat 300-500k of TS's hit, if necc?)

Leafs: Ceci, Mikheyev

Ceci might fare okay on the 3rd pairing. Punted in spring, at the end of season. Mikheyev is the intriguing piece, that I think could flourish(perhaps with Bo). Maybe Pod & Tree give us a Russki-3, somewheres down the line?

Leafs could rush into a sell-low deal, out of desperation. Besides, they got plenty of 'O'..need some gritty character.

I like Stecher, but with Hughes obvious presence, we need to surround the D with overall size/durability in the other 5.

If you’re looking for durability, should be Tanev instead of Stretcher.  Troy has actually been quite durable. But why mess with the defence, it’s been acting pretty good this year.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sonoman said:

If you’re looking for durability, should be Tanev instead of Stretcher.  Troy has actually been quite durable. But why mess with the defence, it’s been acting pretty good this year.

I appreciate Stecher's game/commitment..but I've always been a fan of a large, mobile defence core. I think our team receives more cheap shots than most(as DoPS don't seem to give a crap). Between Benn, Fantenburg, Ceci(& Utica depth), I bet our D would hold up okay. Perhaps Nikita returns, late-season?

The Gud deal kinda blew up in JB's face. Pearson has somewhat compensated, but I feel we have LW depth that can probably maintain things. Next yr we'd be able to dump his 3.7 mill hit, by turning it into the talented question mark, of this Russian winger. Baer, Ferland, Roussel, LouiE & a guy like Mikheyev adds size with skill. I'd prob wait a wk or two, to ensure many of our other fwds had returned beforehand. But our LW side holds up, & next season we have almost 4,000,000 extra to allot to whomever deserves the $

Leafs don't have cap to pay this Mikheyev anyways(if his last 60 games were convincing), with 40 mill they've gambled on 4 fwds. Then they should ship out one of Kap/Johnsson & Barrie for 2 more D-men. They NEED turnover on that dreadful blueline. So this proposal could fit/make sense within that context.

13 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Deal 1 - rather keep Schaller

Deal 2 - Fine by me but doesn't seem like an upgrade anywhere really. 

Mikheyev looks like a big, skilled Winger that can motor, L2..albeit, still adjusting to a new league/lifestyle.

One never knows with these, until the plunge is taken. Guy might not take flight, or he might have great chemistry with Bo, EP, or even AG?

10 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Mikheyev looks like a big, skilled Winger that can motor, L2..albeit, still adjusting to a new league/lifestyle.

One never knows with these, until the plunge is taken. Guy might not take flight, or he might have great chemistry with Bo, EP, or even AG?

I'm convinced

Pull the trigger

• Cheers 1

Montreal has a ton of depth to fill in for Byron, and Schaller isn’t in any way a replacement for Drouin.  Montreal has no need to do this trade.  They have the cap space but there’s no need to waste it on a player like Schaller 

Mikheyev Has been really good for TO so far.  Can’t see them

having any interest in moving hi

Edited by qwijibo

The Leafs need defence.  Stecher would be a good piece for them.  Tanev would be better short term but he'd be gone next summer.  I would do Mikheyev for Stecher or even Kapanen.  I'd wait a few more weeks until the Leafs are desperate though.  Who knows they may fire Babcock and blow everything up.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Leafs need defence.  Stecher would be a good piece for them.  Tanev would be better short term but he'd be gone next summer.  I would do Mikheyev for Stecher or even Kapanen.  I'd wait a few more weeks until the Leafs are desperate though.  Who knows they may fire Babcock and blow everything up.

Blowing it up,there good at that                         !1350846271_trainwreck_pdnw.jpg.030136188bf5a66af8fb0b9161ac1f7a.jpg

• Upvote 1

I made a similar proposal for Mikheyev, but I like yours better.

I feel Ceci is doing well in TOR and they would prefer to keep someone with his size, rather than having both Barrie and Stecher on their blueline.

So maybe tweak it to:

Barrie + Mikheyev (total cap = $3.675m)

for

Stecher + Pearson (both 50% retained, total cap = $3.038m)

Why for TOR?

Barrie is a defensive trainwreck right now, without providing the expected offence, and TOR needs to get rid of him asap. Stech is an upgrade defensively and can play 2RD. Should pair nicely with Muzzin. Reilly is their PP Dman anyway, plus they will not be able to resign next season Barrie so they may as well cut bait and get a young Dman in Stech that can play D and may be able to be resigned next season. Pearson is more suited to a 3LW role than Mikheyev and provides TOR with additional leadership, PK and grit to their lineup.

Also with VAN retaining 50% then the Leafs manage to shed about $637k in cap. This should allow them to bring one of their "700-club" players up from the AHL and be able to run a 22-man roster once Marner returns.

Why for VAN?

Canucks get a future potential 2LW for Bo in Mikheyev, who is RFA next season. Potentially sign him to a good value bridge deal if he performs.

And they get to see if Barrie can thrive in VAN before considering whether they trade him at the TDL or look to resign him long term. He can be parked on the 3rd pairing 5v5 and rolled out for the PP2. He has all the skills to turn the corner in VAN and become an offensive dynamo again (with the acknowledgement that he will probably always be defensively weak).

Both may or may not work out, not too big of a deal if they don't, as Stech is RFA next season and may want a pay rise. Pearson is another 3rd line LW which we already have Roussel, Leivo, Baer and Ferland, and we could do with offloading.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

I made a similar proposal for Mikheyev, but I like yours better.

I feel Ceci is doing well in TOR and they would prefer to keep someone with his size, rather than having both Barrie and Stecher on their blueline.

So maybe tweak it to:

Barrie + Mikheyev (total cap = $3.675m)

for

Stecher + Pearson (both 50% retained, total cap = $3.038m)

Why for TOR?

Barrie is a defensive trainwreck right now, without providing the expected offence, and TOR needs to get rid of him asap. Stech is an upgrade defensively and can play 2RD. Should pair nicely with Muzzin. Reilly is their PP Dman anyway, plus they will not be able to resign next season Barrie so they may as well cut bait and get a young Dman in Stech that can play D and may be able to be resigned next season. Pearson is more suited to a 3LW role than Mikheyev and provides TOR with additional leadership, PK and grit to their lineup.

Also with VAN retaining 50% then the Leafs manage to shed about $637k in cap. This should allow them to bring one of their "700-club" players up from the AHL and be able to run a 22-man roster once Marner returns.

Why for VAN?

Canucks get a future potential 2LW for Bo in Mikheyev, who is RFA next season. Potentially sign him to a good value bridge deal if he performs.

And they get to see if Barrie can thrive in VAN before considering whether they trade him at the TDL or look to resign him long term. He can be parked on the 3rd pairing 5v5 and rolled out for the PP2. He has all the skills to turn the corner in VAN and become an offensive dynamo again (with the acknowledgement that he will probably always be defensively weak).

Both may or may not work out, not too big of a deal if they don't, as Stech is RFA next season and may want a pay rise. Pearson is another 3rd line LW which we already have Roussel, Leivo, Baer and Ferland, and we could do with offloading.

I like this tweak, BTF. I'd wanted to dump all of Pearson's 2021-22 commitment, but that might be greedily chasing need.

Your proposal is something easier for Dubas to sell to the Hogtown masses. Could see it's persuasive merits.

Wouldn't surprise me to see a fairly significant deal from JB, in late Nov/early Dec...