The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

EKL Fantasy Keeper League 2019-20 season

Primal Optimist

Assignment: The Arizona Coyotes assign Jansen Harkins to the Tucson Roadrunners

Assignment: The Arizona Coyotes assign Jake Walman to the Tucson Roadrunners

Activation: The Arizona Coyotes activate Jake Muzzin off IR.

Recall: The Arizona Coyotes recall Justin Bailey from the Tucson Roadrunners. 

Edited by Primal Optimist

On 1/31/2020 at 3:28 PM, Primal Optimist said:

Fantasy FIve for Friday:  I have withdrawn my vote on the three ties, leaving us with the following picks: GO US!

chips in: 219, 26 wagered, chips out; 193

Detroit Red Wings VS New York Rangers

Philadelphia Flyers VS Pittsburgh Penguins

Washington Capitals VS Ottawa Senators

Boston Bruins VS Winnipeg Jets

St Louis Blues VS Edmonton Oilers

Hey!! we got 4 out of 5 with only Philly incorrect. Sadly lowodds on the ones we did get right paid out 40 chips. 

Chips out; 233

Next week we might hit the profit margin for the first time this season! (*which I intend to use for things like live stats for the playoff pickuphockey rosters and next years season live stats, along with upgrades to the Discord channel if it works out.)

If you haven't taken the time to vote for a Fantasy Five list yet, next weeks is a great time to start! 

16 hours ago, Rush17 said:

when is the tdl?

Awesome Question!  I was wondering myself, haha.

So I looked up the CBA: says To Be Determined. I checked the second or third post in the thread, with the important dates list and it was not decided upon at publication of that list back in May of 2019. Therefore I checked the web for the NHL definition of the deadline and this years NHL deadline. 

NHL. The National Hockey League's trade deadline is calculated as the 40th day before the final day of the regular season, ensuring that it typically falls during the last week of February or the first week of March

and the real life deadline is 3pm Eastern Time on Monday Feb 24th. I would not want to reduce the number of days between the deadline and the last day of the season as that degrades the integrity of team sport and roster management to a degree. 

For the EKL we will mirror the NHL in the day/time exactly.

12 noon Pacific Time/3pm Eastern Time cutoff on Monday the 24th.

Amplification of important rules: date stamps and chronology matter!

Any and all trades must be sent in AND agreed to by the cutoff date and time stamp on your posts.

No trade will be considered where the initial trade call is time stamped AFTER the cutoff of 12 noon Pacific Time.

No trade will be considered where the agreement reply is time stamped later than 12:05 Pacific Time, that is your safety window. 

No exceptions will be entertained.  Time Stamps matter. 

Lastly, I won't take any trade calls in the final 12 hours of Monday the 24th, leading up to the cutoff that require requests to waive clauses. You all have your lists and they are good up to and past the deadline, no requests outside those lists will be entertained. This isn't an NHL rule, but one to save my sanity as I am flying solo here. Stamkos had an emergency and has stepped down from the EXEC. NOTE: looking for a trade tracker and waiver tracker: two side jobs that really take very little time, but would need someone who can log in a minimum of twice a week in season. Hint: trade trackers job gets super easy in 3 weeks! lol

Thanks all, any questions, fire away! (If the question is "can we change the day or time or any of the amplifications?" : only if you have 15 GM's in total that agree with your proposed date and time. Thanks)

Fantasy FIve for Sixth of February (thursday this week)

chips in: 233

Giving lots of lead in time for max participation: who will win these games? Reply in thread with your guesses (keep in mind, if we end the year over 250 the left over chips will pay for live stats for the playoffs, next years season and some upgrades on the Discord server. )

Ducks VS Habs

Jets VS Blues

Canucks VS Wild

Preds VS Flames

Sharks VS Oilers

League Announcement:

I was asked a good question last week.  It was about IR listed players and the playoffs. If a player is injured from before the trade deadline to the end of the regular season, can a team use that player in the playoffs "cap free" which would free the club to get more players before the deadline using that available cap space. 

League Position:

Clubs must always be in compliance with the cap and player minimums and maximums set out in the cba. The exception to this is the offseason where teams may inflate beyond the cap while refreshing for the next season. Clubs still active in the playoffs are not in their offseason yet. Therefore: if your club has players on IR at the deadline who may be healthy before July 1st, you must keep a path available within our existing rules to activate that player. Any player on IR at the end of the season must be able to be activated in the final 3 days of the season in order to qualify for the playoffs. At the same time: a healthy player in late March may not remain on IR until the end of the season: we must always be punctual with activating our IR players when they are healthy. 

For my part on the executive, I just added an "IR" column to the overview tab of our team sheets showing how much salary is on IR for each club. GM's are expected to keep track of their IR players and know who will be expected back during the season or even in the playoffs and plan accordingly.

trying to be more concise so there you have it.

24 minutes ago, D-Money said:

There is no salary cap in the playoffs, in RL or in any of the CDC fantasy leagues.

Generally contracts don't increase in value arbitrarily in those leagues either. This is just a special league!

Guys: I am working hard to make this league a fair and viable league for the future: if you don't  want that, please speak up now and save me hundreds of hours of work. 

This issue is one where 7 teams right now have more cap dollars on IR than they have space to bring those guys back from IR. 

I didn't want to single them out: but here you go:

BUF, DET, MIN, NSH, PIT, TBL and VGK.

Now of course you get cap relief for those injured players and you may of course fill up to the top of the cap as those players are in relief: but you simply must come back to compliance in order to use those players: that is just common sense. 

If I don't highlight this problem right now, then 6 playoff bound teams will be very sad later when they are non compliant.

What do you propose I do instead? I am willing to take advice but not if that advice is "come on...lemme circumvent the cap to win, jeez".

• Upvote 1

I am going over all the IR players now to help resolve this, however my post about it above stands.

@D-Money I am talking about the very small side topic of burying extra cap in the IR section while planning to use it in the playoffs for free. That is not going to be allowed in EKL, nor should it ever have been allowed. Not sure what your point is though other than a general note about how other leagues work?

1 hour ago, Primal Optimist said:

Clubs must always be in compliance with the cap and player minimums and maximums set out in the cba. The exception to this is the offseason where teams may inflate beyond the cap while refreshing for the next season. Clubs still active in the playoffs are not in their offseason yet. Therefore: if your club has players on IR at the deadline who may be healthy before July 1st, you must keep a path available within our existing rules to activate that player. Any player on IR at the end of the season must be able to be activated in the final 3 days of the season in order to qualify for the playoffs. At the same time: a healthy player in late March may not remain on IR until the end of the season: we must always be punctual with activating our IR players when they are healthy.

For the bolded line, you are meaning if the player isn't able to be activated then said player isn't eligible for playoffs, right?

I have Kesler who isn't going to play again, so I should be safe.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

For the bolded line, you are meaning if the player isn't able to be activated then said player isn't eligible for playoffs, right?

I have Kesler who isn't going to play again, so I should be safe.

precisely: there are 7 teams this effects from a glance at the column i just made on the overview tab...of those seven teams there is Kesler, Lindbom and some others who we know are on the Sick Lame and Lazy list right to July 1st...those guys don't matter to the integrity of the league...its the guys who are 'expected back' end march/mid april. Those guys must have a viable path to be activated within the cap and rules or they can't play in the playoffs. I think that is fair and simple and not worth fighting over, right?

1 hour ago, Primal Optimist said:

I am going over all the IR players now to help resolve this, however my post about it above stands.

@D-Money I am talking about the very small side topic of burying extra cap in the IR section while planning to use it in the playoffs for free. That is not going to be allowed in EKL, nor should it ever have been allowed. Not sure what your point is though other than a general note about how other leagues work?

I'm just not a fan of rules being made up in the middle of the season. Especially ones that should not be expected, since they do not apply IRL, or in any other fantasy league.

Dougie Hamilton is out for the rest of the season. It's a huge blow to both our fantasy team, and the Hurricanes IRL. However, Carolina does not need to activate him prior to the playoffs IRL. Why are we making stuff up here?

What I hope to be nearly the last of time and words I have to invest in this is that it is extremely easy to see from my perspective looking at 1500 players and 31 teams and 30 GM's all at once: It is very easy to see why decision makers were pushed, pulled, cajoled, and confused into having mistakes creep into the processes. I have been very upfront from the end of October to this very day that my intention was to put an end to that. I wish I was spending this time continuing to catch up clubs sheets..as there are more errors that have likely not been seen yet...so i am going back to doing that. Sorry for the upsetting reminder that clubs must be compliant in their endeavours to win in EKL.

9 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

We are not making stuff up here: are you suggesting you don't need to keep cap space available for a player you expect back from IR? I don't even know how to begin planning for that to be a real rule?

EDIT: that actually cuts right to the core of the IR/Playoffs issue: If you expect a player you want to use in teh Playoffs is going to be comging back: I am simply amplifying that player MUST have a clear path to being activated off IR. 

I view any concept of preplanning an IR guy on February 3rd to come back to play after the end of the regular season as something you can choose to avoid pretty easily by keeping enough room for him to come up: of course if you have the means to do so, its a non issue: it is only an issue where a team chooses in advance of the trade deadline to NOT have the means for the injured player to come back and fit into the cap and player structure. 

I don't really see how this is in any way "rules made up mid season for no reason". 

If you still think I am making it up: you have to admit the reason is crystal clear. 

I hope you see that I am not making it up either: cap is a thing: cap circumvention is never something the league would tolerate if reasonable alternatives are available. ; )

1. It's not a rule in the NHL.

2. It's not a rule in any other fantasy league.

Hence, it's completely made up, mid-season, mere weeks before the deadline.

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

1. It's not a rule in the NHL.

2. It's not a rule in any other fantasy league.

Hence, it's completely made up, mid-season, mere weeks before the deadline.

Again: If you think your player may be healthy and able to return at some point: shouldn't you ensure there is a compliant way to activate him from IR?