The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NBA officially suspends season

cuporbust

22 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

I dont wanna come across as arrogant but boycotting games still aint gonna change sh*t...

Unfortunately this statement is most likely true.  Our American neighbors have so much working against them namely their gun culture.

the way things roll down there you literally need to assume anyone has a gun which I think leads people to a shoot first ask questions later mentality.

how much of the violence down there could be eliminated if you just reduced the amount of guns in circulation.

obviously more complex with other issues as well.  Good luck to them.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

3 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

I dont wanna come across as arrogant but boycotting games still aint gonna change sh*t...

What it does is shine another light to the situation.   But ultimately won't change anything unless those in power makes those changes.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, flat land fish said:

Unfortunately this statement is most likely true.  Our American neighbors have so much working against them namely their gun culture.

the way things roll down there you literally need to assume anyone has a gun which I think leads people to a shoot first ask questions later mentality.

how much of the violence down there could be eliminated if you just reduced the amount of guns in circulation.

obviously more complex with other issues as well.  Good luck to them.

Guns are obviously an issue, but I would question the "culture" of America. By this, I am talking about the hatred/distrust that is responsible for creating a poisoned population. We've seen first hand how Trump has manipulated the population to turn against each other. He divided people on many categories - for example, race, gender, immigration, and politics, specifically political affiliations. He is banking on the fact that people are too preoccupied with their prejudices that they won't wake up to see what's actually going on. Trump is playing Americans for fools.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Guns are obviously an issue, but I would question the "culture" of America. By this, I am talking about the hatred/distrust that is responsible for creating a poisoned population. We've seen first hand how Trump has manipulated the population to turn against each other. He divided people on many categories - for example, race, gender, immigration, and politics, specifically political affiliations. He is banking on the fact that people are too preoccupied with their prejudices that they won't wake up to see what's actually going on. Trump is playing Americans for fools.

Like any cult leader. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BPA said:

What it does is shine another light to the situation.   But ultimately won't change anything unless those in power makes those changes.

I believe they're trying to force the hand of those who can affect change. This boycott (provided it lasts) takes away revenue from owners and TV networks. They in turn put pressure on politicians to make changes at higher levels.

Reminds me of one of my favorite movie quotes from the movie Se7en......

John Doe : Wanting people to listen, you can't just tap them on the shoulder anymore. You have to hit them with a sledgehammer, and then you'll notice you've got their strict attention.

The players tried tapping them on the shoulder by wearing jerseys with "education reform' or 'say her name' on the name plate. Even had the league paint 'Black Lives Matter' on the court but that wasn't doing anything. They couldn't up the ante a little bit to get their attention, they had to hit them with a sledgehammer. And today they did by going after their money. Money talks, BS walks.