The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Greatest "Cup of Coffee with the Canucks" Player, Legends Edition

Rate this topic

Kevin Biestra

Greatest Cup of Coffee Canuck  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

42 minutes ago, GoodCanadianKideh said:

I was always a fan of ( 2x Selke winner ) Mike Peca.  I was disappointed to see him go, but I was pretty happy with getting Mogilny in return.

But my vote still goes to Rory Fitzpatrick #VoteForRory

Solid list though!

Pretty fun to look back and see some of those names.

Mogilny was a godsend at the time ... who would have guessed back then what was to come.  If we kept Peca and Walker those guys could have really helped the WCE teams gain traction come playoff time ...

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

14 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

No Scurvy Dogs Edition.

so jeff brown had a cup of coffee and some pie with the canucks , still under 72 games and 52 points for a dman  that's pretty good numbers 

Edited by the grinder
  • Haha 1

Great list! Great poll ! 

just remembered a Tom Kurvers sighting in 1991 I think. Only 30 games or so but a point a game or close to it. Half a cup and a bit on the tepid side but a cup o’joe nonetheless! 
good morning coffee GIF

• Vintage 1

On 4/30/2020 at 4:10 PM, IBatch said:

Good list ... can we add Beezer who was just paperworked on and off the team?  Ha ha .   How about a shout out to some tough SOBs, good fighters the were here and gone fast.  Ciccone, Crowder, McCallister, Brookbank, Antoski, Stajonov....have to give this one to Crowder - oh yeah Langdon was pretty good too.  

Went with another pugilistic fighter/player Mel Bridgman.  

I think these goon legends might need their own thread.

As for Beezer...  Maybe there's a best Canuck that never actually played a game for the Canucks...  Vanbiesbrouck?  Owen Nolan during his tryout?  Craig Janney?  Dirk Graham?  Mike Rogers?  A 50% chance of Gil Perreault?

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 1

How could you not want to drink a beer with Link Gaetz? 

I bet 99% of posters on this site don’t know about this guy, who was only a Canuck for about 5 minutes during camp. 

Such antics were why former North Stars general manager Lou Nanne famously said of Gaetz: “I drafted Mike Modano in the first round to protect our franchise. I drafted Link Gaetz in the second round to protect Mike Modano. I should have drafted a lawyer in the third round to protect Link Gaetz.”

“His pro career ended in 2005 when he changed out of uniform and got a hamburger at a concession stand during a game.”

https://www.mercurynews.com/2011/05/16/tracking-down-the-sharks-missing-link/

DA9870D2-6489-4752-84DC-B114DAC2AC61.jpeg.518073a1d65d9bb0d4b91ca1e85cad3e.jpeg

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/page/Mag15thelegendoflink/hockey-scariest-man-link-gaetz-remember-most-mayhem-espn-magazine-archives

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1505360-ranking-the-50-most-frightening-players-in-nhl-history

I quit drinking, but this guy could have out-partied me and been a crazy party all by himself. 

Shows up to the draft with two black eyes. 
Good BC boy. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

How could you not want to drink a beer with Link Gaetz? 

I bet 99% of posters on this site don’t know about this guy, who was only a Canuck for about 5 minutes during camp. 

Such antics were why former North Stars general manager Lou Nanne famously said of Gaetz: “I drafted Mike Modano in the first round to protect our franchise. I drafted Link Gaetz in the second round to protect Mike Modano. I should have drafted a lawyer in the third round to protect Link Gaetz.”

“His pro career ended in 2005 when he changed out of uniform and got a hamburger at a concession stand during a game.”

https://www.mercurynews.com/2011/05/16/tracking-down-the-sharks-missing-link/

DA9870D2-6489-4752-84DC-B114DAC2AC61.jpeg.518073a1d65d9bb0d4b91ca1e85cad3e.jpeg

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/page/Mag15thelegendoflink/hockey-scariest-man-link-gaetz-remember-most-mayhem-espn-magazine-archives

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1505360-ranking-the-50-most-frightening-players-in-nhl-history

I quit drinking, but this guy could have out-partied me and been a crazy party all by himself. 

Shows up to the draft with two black eyes. 
Good BC boy. 

Link Gaetz was a legendary minor league enforcer - and fought everyone - including a lot of enforcers that came into the league including Odjick who he handled easily...was about as fearsome as they come - his disposition was only matched by a few guys - one is Ciccone who once beat up the camera guy in the penalty box after a fight and threw a stick into the crowd breaking an arm and the spent the night in jail (he blacked out while fighting - how scary is that?).  Head butted Thomas early on and was suspended while his arms were held...ended up making a decent career but was like Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde on and off the ice.   Kordic also comes to mind - he was tough to beat with his rapid fire non-stop forward style / all offense and beat some great fighters..his death was tragic - took a lot of cops a black spot in the NHLs history for not helping players that used to do the most difficult jobs in sports.    Back to Gaetz he might have been the one to take Proberts belt - huge and imposing.   Twist would be a good comparison if he made it to the show / and he was one of the best ever. 

edit: yes I’d like to have a few cold ones with this guy ... and maybe an arm wrestle too ha ha.

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

On 5/1/2020 at 11:17 AM, Down by the River said:

Maybe the nicest goal by a "Cup of Coffee" guy:

Just goes to show how good the Sedins were to be able to give a highlight reel goal to a guy with 23 NHL goals to his name (the last of his career).