The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Greatest "Cup of Coffee with the Canucks" Player, Legends Edition

Rate this topic

Kevin Biestra

Greatest Cup of Coffee Canuck  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Craven always struck me as surprisingly good when I looked back at the stats. Russ Courtnall comes to mind too, but maybe he played too long for it to be considered a "Cup of Coffee". Mike "Shaky" Walton is another good one. Almost a point-per-game with 113 points in 115 games. I suppose neither Russ Courtnall nor Walton really became NHL greats though.

• Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Craven always struck me as surprisingly good when I looked back at the stats. Russ Courtnall comes to mind too, but maybe he played too long for it to be considered a "Cup of Coffee".

Yeah, he was actually a significant part of the Flyers' "Cup Finals Dynasty" of the 80s.  Some very good players in that lineup that don't get talked about now like Dave Poulin, Brad McCrimmon, Doug Crossman, Peter Zezel, Pelle Eklund, Ilkka Sinisalo, Scott Mellanby, Brad Marsh, etc.

Take the Oilers out of their way in 1985 and 1987 and Brian Propp, Tim Kerr and Ron Hextall could all be in the Hall of Fame.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah, he was actually a significant part of the Flyers' "Cup Finals Dynasty" of the 80s.  Some very good players in that lineup that don't get talked about now like Dave Poulin, Brad McCrimmon, Doug Crossman, Peter Zezel, Pelle Eklund, Scott Mellanby, Brad Marsh, etc.

Take the Oilers out of their way in 1985 and 1987 and Brian Propp, Tim Kerr and Ron Hextall could all be in the Hall of Fame.

Somewhat a shame the 80s Flyers never won a Cup. Unless you were a fan back then or have done some research, you might not know how good they were. Similar to the Sabres of the 70s

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Good list ... can we add Beezer who was just paperworked on and off the team?  Ha ha .   How about a shout out to some tough SOBs, good fighters the were here and gone fast.  Ciccone, Crowder, McCallister, Brookbank, Antoski, Stajonov....have to give this one to Crowder - oh yeah Langdon was pretty good too.  

Went with another pugilistic fighter/player Mel Bridgman.  

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Mike Keane, but I'm also considering what he did for the Canucks with the Moose. Him being there was important for guys who went on to be important players for us. 

Keane is one of the best middleweights in league history - decimated opponents in juniors before starting his reign of terror in the show.   Also was a well travelled Stanley Cup good luck charm for while there...seemed to win one wherever he went for a large part of his career and teams sure loved having him - myself included.   Good choice!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Mats Sundin... not saying he is the greatest but he should be on the list. The Sedins attributed much of their success to his 'cup of coffee'

Umm. Here we go.  And for Naslund it was Messier for sure.  Edit:  Sure it wasn’t Anson Carter that got them going?

Edited by IBatch
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Keane is one of the best middleweights in league history - decimated opponents in juniors before starting his reign of terror in the show.   Also was a well travelled Stanley Cup good luck charm for while there...seemed to win one wherever he went for a large part of his career and teams sure loved having him - myself included.   Good choice!

He was briefly a captain in Montreal to boot

He stepped into the team that grew into their last championship team, was traded with Roy to Colorado and won another that season, and was traded by the Rangers to the Stars where he won yet another two years later

I'm still amazed a player like him spent five seasons in Manitoba, he really loved the game 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Umm. Here we go.  And for Naslund it was Messier for sure. 

Not sure what your point is? Mats Sundin is clearly an NHL great, he is in the hall. The Sedins have been quoted many times saying how important Mats was to their development. Not sure what Messier has to do with anything.

27 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Mats Sundin... not saying he is the greatest but he should be on the list. The Sedins attributed much of their success to his 'cup of coffee'

12 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Not sure what your point is? Mats Sundin is clearly an NHL great, he is in the hall. The Sedins have been quoted many times saying how important Mats was to their development. Not sure what Messier has to do with anything.

If you read the OP there’s a reason Sundin wasn’t listed.  Over the years the Sedins comments on Sundin have grown out of proportion - attributing “much of there success” is over the top. If you can source an article that says this from their own mouths I’d be happy to read it.   All I can find was one about helping them relax in the playoffs (advice to treat playoff games like regular season ones...) as early on they didn’t have as much success (PPG players until the post season).   Sundin didn’t make them peak or take off or anything-they already were good - had two stellar years and went back to already good again.   I used Naslund as an example because, well he also say nice things about Messier too - but he did play more then 1/2 season with him (gut punch yuck!) Sundin is a Swedish legend - and the Sedins won a gold medal with him too..but unless I need a bit more to go on then getting some advice from a vet changing into a career changing moment to buy in.   

• Vintage 1

Tough list to choose from. Might have to go with a personal favourite in Mike “What Not” Sillinger.

(Back in the day, Mike used to end most sentences with “and what not.” Used to be a drinking game counting the “what nots” in his post game interviews :lol:)

Also, credit to the OP for not adding an S to Ryan Walter.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1