The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Top 50 Canucks of All-Time – 50-41

Rate this topic

-AJ-

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I admire your guts, signing your name to not having Murzyn in the top 70.

Yep.  Cloutier‘s seven shutout record gets mentioned for the few years it remained - but Murzyn’s plus 34 / Pratt award season doesn’t ha ha... or that he and Lumme formed the longest serving top pairing of the 90’s

Edit: AJ I promise that’s the last I will tease you or anyone else about Murzyn...slow feet I guess kept him off our original list?  

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 2

37 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep.  Cloutier‘s seven shutout record gets mentioned for the few years it remained - but Murzyn’s plus 34 / Pratt award season doesn’t ha ha... or that he and Lumme formed the longest serving top pairing of the 90’s

Edit: AJ I promise that’s the last I will tease you or anyone else about Murzyn...slow feet I guess kept him off our original list?  

Cloutier's shutout record is legit.  It helped mitigate a little bit against his playoff poopy doo.  I respect all the old record holders that get a bit unfairly forgotten...Sedlbauer, Rota, Tanti, Gradin, Sundstrom, Gary Smith, etc.  To be honest, shutouts in a season isn't all that important of a record to me...I feel shutouts get incorporated into GAA and SPCT automatically.  But still, I am blown away by Tony Esposito and George Hainsworth.

• Cheers 1

great job AJ.  i like reading interesting facts about the players. i was reading how kurtenbach was a feared fighter around the league and no one wanted to fight him.  on the other hand orland never looked for fights and wanted to be known for his goal scoring and leadership. i never saw him lose a fight.  no one now a days, considers him as one of the toughest players in canuck history. 

• Vintage 2

2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

great job AJ.  i like reading interesting facts about the players. i was reading how kurtenbach was a feared fighter around the league and no one wanted to fight him.  on the other hand orland never looked for fights and wanted to be known for his goal scoring and leadership. i never saw him lose a fight.  no one now a days, considers him as one of the toughest players in canuck history. 

Smithers Joe I read a good article while we were doing the top fifty that had Kurtenbach listed as a top nine NYR fighter all-time....pretty much said that players tended to stay away as they didn’t want to drop with him because- well he just didn’t lose.  Says a lot given it’s an original six team ... will take your word for it. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

Joe, during the mid 60's the consensus top 3 tough guys in the league were John Ferguson (Mtl), Ted Harris (Mtl) and Orland Kurtenbach (TML + NYR). Kurtenbach had only 1 fight (I think) with John Ferguson and left him a bloody mess. He had 2 fights with Harris, winning 1 and losing 1. This was the only fight of his career that I believe he lost. Nobody wanted to fight Kurtenbach and the so called tough guys avoided him like the plague.......that is primarily why Kurtenbach never had a 100 PIM season in his career.

For those that don't remember or know of John Ferguson, he was a stick boy with the Canucks in their early WHL days and always envisioned himself being an enforcer protecting his teammates. Why? Because he thought the Canucks were too soft and teams took advantage of them. Some things just never change I guess.......

Pretty sure I am not telling you anything you didn't already know Joe but thought I would share with those that were not around back then.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

17 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Joe, during the mid 60's the consensus top 3 tough guys in the league were John Ferguson (Mtl), Ted Harris (Mtl) and Orland Kurtenbach (TML + NYR). Kurtenbach had only 1 fight (I think) with John Ferguson and left him a bloody mess. He had 2 fights with Harris, winning 1 and losing 1. This was the only fight of his career that I believe he lost. Nobody wanted to fight Kurtenbach and the so called tough guys avoided him like the plague.......that is primarily why Kurtenbach never had a 100 PIM season in his career.

For those that don't remember or know of John Ferguson, he was a stick boy with the Canucks in their early WHL days and always envisioned himself being an enforcer protecting his teammates. Why? Because he thought the Canucks were too soft and teams took advantage of them. Some things just never change I guess.......

Pretty sure I am not telling you anything you didn't already know Joe but thought I would share with those that were not around back then.

thank bud, i didn’t know about those 3 fights, only that he had them. i kind of wish there were videos of those fights for people to see. apparently kurt and pat quinn went at it during practise one time. that would have been interesting to see. 

my wish would be to sit down and here the stories, jim robson must have of the canucks. 

Edited by smithers joe
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Your write up for Rick gave me chills. Good stuff.

No doubt in my mind that he was the best pound for pound fighter in NHL history. Rest in Paradise Ripper! Forever a Canuck :wub:

I still can't fathom a guy with 550+ games not being in our top 30 let alone top 50 but who am I to judge! I'll be telling my grandkids about the Cookers clutch goals in 2003 and 2004 one day and wil make sure that they know he's a Canuck legend! If they don't agree, well get out of my house and no gifts ever! :P

• Vintage 1

17 hours ago, apollo said:

Your write up for Rick gave me chills. Good stuff.

No doubt in my mind that he was the best pound for pound fighter in NHL history. Rest in Paradise Ripper! Forever a Canuck :wub:

I still can't fathom a guy with 550+ games not being in our top 30 let alone top 50 but who am I to judge! I'll be telling my grandkids about the Cookers clutch goals in 2003 and 2004 one day and wil make sure that they know he's a Canuck legend! If they don't agree, well get out of my house and no gifts ever! :P

Well, way to stand up for your guy.  As you probably saw, I made a top 200 list with every member being someone whose contributions to the Canucks I respect.  And Cooke had over 120 people I respect behind him on the list if I remember right.

17 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I still think that Hamhuis is criminally underrated.

A few players went in way too early - and as result some didn’t make it in or if they did made it in later then maybe they should have.   Hamhuis played a game on the same reliability level as some of the best we’ve had.  Good at everything but not really great at anything.   Mitchell is a guy that probably should have been an honourable mention given his consecutive Pratt awards and leadership but don’t think he received one nomination or if he did I don’t re-call seeing it.   A number of guys got in playing similar amounts or less games..for guys that played four or five seasons Mitchell was one of the better ones for sure.  

• Vintage 1