The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Golden Knights re-sign Ryan Reaves

On 6/15/2020 at 9:21 PM, GhostsOf1994 said:

Having a Reaves level heavyweight that can play 10 min a game is worth the bump in ice time among the forward group.

Not wanting to put a curse on anyone though I have legit concerns about the Canucks young stars being targeted or injured.

Can Ferkie, Macewan... Myers... bring enough?

I share the same concern. Petey will be fine when he fills out, but Hughes will always be a target in the playoffs. I also worry for Stecher.

But this is not a small team overall. I feel we can hang with physical teams. Just when the rough stuff happens, I don't know who will step up to lay the beat down. Surely Ferland will be advised not to fight so that really only leaves Big Mac - if he even plays.

Another case to try to get Tryamkin on board asap. Our guy is bigger than your guy seems like a pretty good insurance policy on our vulnerable guys.

Edited by kloubek
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On June 16, 2020 at 1:54 PM, CanuckleHorse said:

Yeah I understand just you have to take into account that he plays less than 15 minutes a game and is a healthy scratch at times.

Ask Evander Kane how it takes so lil ice time to get in his head......

guys like reeves the ice time doesn't tell the whole story.....

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Ask Evander Kane how it takes so lil ice time to get in his head......

guys like reeves the ice time doesn't tell the whole story.....

Ryan Reaves is on his way out he won’t be the toughest much longer I think he’s gonna get dusted by an up n comer soon.

On 6/16/2020 at 10:47 AM, chon derry said:

dorsett started 2 seasons before reeves but finished 2 seasons ago 515 GP  Roussel started 2 seasons after reeves with 519 GP with the # OF GP tailing off over the last 3 seasons. ferland with 335 GP IN 5 1/4 seasons . reeves 649 GP IN 10 seasons , averaging 65 games per season over 10 years  the last 4 seasons he averaged 75 games per season. dying breed?  not so much,  the FACT  that players like him and lowry are still around tells me he's not a dying breed,  a throw back to a older more durable  style  player maybe. in fact there may well be a resurgance of 'tough ' players .   i'd take a player  like him over some smallish type player any day,  which only serves to water the league down even more. but once again Reeves is proof that  to be any good in the NHL over the test of time you have to remain healthy! , reeves has done just that.  i'm sure Mario Lemieux can attest to that , because had he remained healthy he may have caught or gone passed gretzky , but that didnt happen . bottom line reeves has stood the test of time, consistently  healthy . reeves is a beast and for that kind of money benning would take that in a heart beat. that's all.

main-qimg-6bd28c0aa76b97d36ee8da610eda2d2d-c.jpg

Make no mistake about it, mario lemieux was tough as nails, strong as an ox, 6"4 230lb and when he did decide to fight ( younger days) he more often then not won the fight. 

Rumour has it or maybe it was something i heard in my younger days but when Lemieux was being scouted for the NHL. atleast on person voiced his concern as to whether or not Mario would be a goon or a star because of his fighting/temper.

I remember being surprised at that as i never saw Mario fight as a kid, YouTube Mario vs kasparitis.

On 6/16/2020 at 12:19 PM, CanuckleHorse said:

Mario averaged over 20 minutes a game and played against the league’s best hitters and shut down guy’s getting hacked and whacked every shift.

This is why and how come its so hard to say who's the GOAT in the NHL history.

Mario was fantastic, if he played more and didnt have all the health issues he would have won more then gretz amd had better totals.

If gretz did not play so long and be relatively healthy over his career would his totals be the same?

If howe was in his prime vs gretz vs Lemieux who would be the best?

If McDavid as he is now, played in the late 70's and 80"s would he have broken the 300 point mark?

To me, Lemieux is the GOAT.

You don't have to be the toughest but be willing to get mad/angry/focused/determined

Michael Jordan

Tom Brady

Etc 

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Make no mistake about it, mario lemieux was tough as nails, strong as an ox, 6"4 230lb and when he did decide to fight ( younger days) he more often then not won the fight. 

Rumour has it or maybe it was something i heard in my younger days but when Lemieux was being scouted for the NHL. atleast on person voiced his concern as to whether or not Mario would be a goon or a star because of his fighting/temper.

I remember being surprised at that as i never saw Mario fight as a kid, YouTube Mario vs kasparitis.

This is why and how come its so hard to say who's the GOAT in the NHL history.

Mario was fantastic, if he played more and didnt have all the health issues he would have won more then gretz amd had better totals.

If gretz did not play so long and be relatively healthy over his career would his totals be the same?

If howe was in his prime vs gretz vs Lemieux who would be the best?

If McDavid as he is now, played in the late 70's and 80"s would he have broken the 300 point mark?

To me, Lemieux is the GOAT.

You don't have to be the toughest but be willing to get mad/angry/focused/determined

Michael Jordan

Tom Brady

Etc 

I never said he couldn't be the greatest I  actually agree he could have been the greatest BUT it never happened …...why?  because he wasn't heathy enough to do it so i'm going to quote myself from page 2 of this very thread.

•  
  • Members
  • 5,716 posts
On 6/16/2020 at 12:40 PM, CanuckleHorse said:

I checked the roster up to 91 he had quite a few players near 200 Pims on the roster no real noticeable tough guys Jay Caufield being one of the toughest but he did have Kevin Stevens who was always above 200 riding shotgun for him.

my whole point  was players remaining healthy ;ie reeves,   Lemieux was merely an example of 'what if' 99's record stands regardless of what any other player was up against given Lemieux's pace that he was on  ,yes he probably could have surpassed 99 , but its a moot point He never remained healthy enough to achieve it . point being reeves HAS  remained healthy over his career.

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, CanuckleHorse said:

Ryan Reaves is on his way out he won’t be the toughest much longer I think he’s gonna get dusted by an up n comer soon.

I wish and i hope the Canucks draft him. 

I don't think his on his way out just yet and I haven't seen a young guy that hang with him or Tom Wilson , the new so called tough guys are smaller......and more of a pest type. 

Also reeves would be the perfect guy for Petey, go to the dirt areas and retrieve pucks kinda like what burrows did for the Sedins but if anyone touched Petey reeves would eat them.....

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I wish and i hope the Canucks draft him. 

I don't think his on his way out just yet and I haven't seen a young guy that hang with him or Tom Wilson , the new so called tough guys are smaller......and more of a pest type. 

Also reeves would be the perfect guy for Petey, go to the dirt areas and retrieve pucks kinda like what burrows did for the Sedins but if anyone touched Petey reeves would eat them.....

The fight with Lowry 28 was close and the fight with Johnson 26 was good I’ll give him those 2 but I’d like to see another go with both.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CanuckleHorse said:

The fight with Lowry 28 was close and the fight with Johnson 26 was good I’ll give him those 2 but I’d like to see another go with both.

So would I :) but now those guys are the rare finds.

i would happily take anyone of those three. 

I think that's one thing I think could put us over the edge. Also I think Miller and Petey would make up for a guy like reeves on their line and just think what those two could do with more open ice.....

Its also why I could see Jim if he can make room add a guy like simmonds on a cheap one year deal....or even go after Anderson.....