The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Jack Rathbone

On 7/15/2020 at 4:11 PM, UKNuck96 said:

Great news TV at he has signed.

can someone explain to me though why it burns this season, giving us only 2 years of the entry level contract? 

Also why would we want that as surely the aim is to have players at this level in the team on the elc for all 3 years allowing the team to have high skill low price to offset the cap of the older players. (Who then get moved or retired as the contracts come up) and the cycle repeats 

Yeah, if it burns this season he should be eligible for our playoff games, round robin games.

On 7/15/2020 at 4:11 PM, UKNuck96 said:

Great news TV at he has signed.

can someone explain to me though why it burns this season, giving us only 2 years of the entry level contract? 

Also why would we want that as surely the aim is to have players at this level in the team on the elc for all 3 years allowing the team to have high skill low price to offset the cap of the older players. (Who then get moved or retired as the contracts come up) and the cycle repeats 

Thing is we don’t want this, but it’s the nature of having NCAA players. They have a lotta pull. They can stay in college then become UFAs. Doing this deal is appealing to them because it’s essentially a 2 year ELC. If we don’t do it we run the risk of them refusing to sign with us at all. 

As to why this is a thing, I’ll never know. It’s not terrible, he’ll be a RFA after. But it’s definitely not ideal. Oh well. Kid sounds pretty good so I’m just glad to have him signed. 

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Thing is we don’t want this, but it’s the nature of having NCAA players. They have a lotta pull. They can stay in college then become UFAs. Doing this deal is appealing to them because it’s essentially a 2 year ELC. If we don’t do it we run the risk of them refusing to sign with us at all. 

As to why this is a thing, I’ll never know. It’s not terrible, he’ll be a RFA after. But it’s definitely not ideal. Oh well. Kid sounds pretty good so I’m just glad to have him signed. 

2 hours ago, gurn said:

iirc Rathbone will be an rfa, but not eligible for an offer sheet, so it isn't a terrible thing to burn a year.

Yeah there is upsides/silver linings. No offer sheets as you mentioned and one year less experience and production to potentially make that next contract even higher. Lots of players struggle in their second year, right when these guys need new deals too.