The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] - Rights to RHD

UKNuck96

30 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Because they went with Elliot instead. Brassard was a long shot. Plus they were at 48 of 50 contracts so didn’t have the space to fit him in 

Yes, I was aware of that, both are long shots at 22+, but space in the minors should be available.

Eliot is a lil older though, smaller and not nearly the 2nd line potential given as Brassard is given (If you go by Dobber)

3 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Plays with a chip on his shoulder about 6 foot 3 190 pounds. a mobile two way D man. I would Honeslty think him and Hughes would play well with eachother. However he has had a few head injuries. He is also from Surrey 

those head injuries are worrisome. the only reason I would be hesitant to give Demko the full reins in goal.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Cernak from Tampa would be a player to target. If they believe in Cal Foote, maybe they will promote him next year as well as signing 1 or both of Shattenkirk/Bogosian. So maybe we can get Cernak from Tampa?

Yeah, Cernak is likely available. Tampa has no space next year, and even if they clear cap Cirelli and Sergachev are next RFAs in line.

Exactly the type of player we need too.

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

Philly is not moving Myers, let alone for Jake friggin Virtanen.

I know he's a lefty, but what about Hagg for JV. 

both are RFA. Hagg would be probably a million less than Stecher plus he's a pure hitter to punish the forecheckers

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Yeah, Cernak is likely available. Tampa has no space next year, and even if they clear cap Cirelli and Sergachev are next RFAs in line.

Exactly the type of player we need too.

They do not have much cap space but they still need a full D-corps.

As it stands they only have 3 Ds under contract for next season.  Hedman, McDonagh and Coburn.  Their RFAs are Cernak and Sergachev.  That makes only 5 roster Ds under team control.  

It's up front that they need to clear contracts, not on the backend.

Edited by mll

2 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

I know he's a lefty, but what about Hagg for JV. 

both are RFA. Hagg would be probably a million less than Stecher plus he's a pure hitter to punish the forecheckers

That’s possible. But Hagg just isn’t all that good.

2 minutes ago, mll said:

They do not have much cap space but they still need a full D-corps.

As it stands they only have 3 Ds under contract for next season.  Hedman, McDonagh and Coburn.  Their RFAs are Cernak and Sergachev.  That makes only 5 roster Ds under team control.  

It's up front that they need to clear contracts, not on the backend.

Yeah, but they have ZERO space. Even if they clear 2-3 contracts, that’s not enough to sign all 3 RFAs.

They may deal Cernak and get more bets on 1-year reclamation deals (similar to Shattenkirk and Bogosian this year).

Just now, D-Money said:

Yeah, but they have ZERO space. Even if they clear 2-3 contracts, that’s not enough to sign all 3 RFAs.

They may deal Cernak and get more bets on 1-year reclamation deals (similar to Shattenkirk and Bogosian this year).

They are going to have to find a way.  Cooper also likes to run 7 Ds.  So they need even less Fs.  I see more likely that they move Cirelli than Cernak.  Point is too valuable and nearly all others have full no moves.  There's not much of an incentive to waive - excellent team and favourable taxation.

2 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

There’s no way that the Flyers would give us Philippe Myers for Virtanen.    It’s a nice pipe dream but the Flyers easily say no to that.   

Yep, this... if they agreed to that trade great.  If it happened I would wonder what incriminating photos Benning has to force these sorts of trades.

If there was a deal that involved Virtanen plus something more for Myers I wouldn't be opposed to that at all.  Basically a replacement for Stecher who is younger and bigger.  Maybe someone who could work his way into being a solid top 4 guy to take over from Tanev eventually.

As with any trade it means clearing cap space.  Myers isn't ready to replace Tanev, so we would still need to sign Tanev or another top 4 defensive D as well as Myers.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, mll said:

They are going to have to find a way.  Cooper also likes to run 7 Ds.  So they need even less Fs.  I see more likely that they move Cirelli than Cernak.  Point is too valuable and nearly all others have full no moves.  There's not much of an incentive to waive - excellent team and favourable taxation.

thats why Miller was on the board, one of the few guys that had no say in where they go.

I'd love to see Cernak here but I think you're correct there, he's probably on their keep list, unless Jim's willing to overpay for him. 

7 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

thats why Miller was on the board, one of the few guys that had no say in where they go.

I'd love to see Cernak here but I think you're correct there, he's probably on their keep list, unless Jim's willing to overpay for him. 

Killorn has a 16 team no trade list.  Still 15 teams and he just had a 26 goal season.  

41 minutes ago, Provost said:

Yep, this... if they agreed to that trade great.  If it happened I would wonder what incriminating photos Benning has to force these sorts of trades.

If there was a deal that involved Virtanen plus something more for Myers I wouldn't be opposed to that at all.  Basically a replacement for Stecher who is younger and bigger.  Maybe someone who could work his way into being a solid top 4 guy to take over from Tanev eventually.

As with any trade it means clearing cap space.  Myers isn't ready to replace Tanev, so we would still need to sign Tanev or another top 4 defensive D as well as Myers.

I would assume if we did this we would let stetcher walk and the cap space would be freed up from JV and Stetcher not being on the team. I cannot see Myers signing for more than 2.5 anyway.

The view would be exactly as you describe - replaces stetch now with the hope of then replacing tanev. Which would mean the RHD for us over the next 4 years or so would have T Myers and P Myers on it. Both big guys, both skate well and can play physical. 

if Tryamkin also signs that’s the RHD issue solved for the next while

Edited by UKNuck96

9 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

man he'd be such a great addition to this team. I'd love him or Boone Jenner on this group. 

I doubt Jenner is available.  He seems to be a Tortorella favourite.  CBJ has a lack of centres.  Wennberg has been struggling and Jenner's versatility is useful.   He could be part of a package to upgrade at top-6 C - they need someone to play behind Dubois but otherwise I'd be surprised if they trade him.

CBJ is a bit under pressure.  Jones is a UFA in 2 years so they also have to show him that the team has the potential to be true contenders, so that they can retain him long term.   

1 minute ago, mll said:

I doubt Jenner is available.  He seems to be a Tortorella favourite.  CBJ has a lack of centres.  Wennberg has been struggling and Jenner's versatility is useful.   He could be part of a package to upgrade at top-6 C - they need someone to play behind Dubois but otherwise I'd be surprised if they trade him.

CBJ is a bit under pressure.  Jones is a UFA in 2 years so they also have to show him that the team has the potential to be true contenders, so that they can retain him long term.   

agreed, but a guy can still hope :lol: