The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

Canucks brawler Darcy Hordichuk trained with Chuck Liddell this past summer.

I wonder if he will go for an armbar once the fight hits the ice. :lol:

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/spo...d65ca42&p=1

Hitman learns from Iceman

Canucks enforcer will pack a bigger punch this season

Ben Kuzma, The Province

Published: Thursday, September 04, 2008

His website greets you with a 'DH' emblazoned on a puck that's enveloped in a swirl of cosmic blue and white.

The 'DH' stands for Darcy Hordichuk, but for the new Canucks enforcer it could just as well mean Designated Hitter.

Not only has Hordichuk promised to punch it up with the baddest boys on the NHL block, the fourth-line winger worked with Ultimate Fighting Championship star Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell and trainer John Hackleman this summer to put more spring in his step and power in his punch.

At a place called The Pit in San Luis Obispo, Calif., Hordichuk endured twice-daily workout regimens for two weeks after his wife, Lisa, parlayed her friend's familiarity with Hackleman into a training invitation.

"It's all about confidence and just seeing how those guys work -- they train, then they're meditating on the beach and running in the hills -- was kind of neat and a good experience," Hordichuk said Wednesday following an informal skate at Burnaby 8-Rinks.

"Obviously, it's lot different than training on the ice. It's violent, but it's a controlled violence and there are things you can learn from hitting the bag with them, wrestling and other stuff to get your stamina up a bit.

"Like your angles coming into a fight. I've had my style for the last 15 years and it has worked for me, but I can do some different things."

Hackleman believes that Hordichuk's punching power will be five times as effective because of UFC training that involves the hips and shoulders.

"I hope so," replied Hordichuk. "Hockey is so different than the UFC and it's difficult to turn your hips when you're on the ice. But there are ways to get your hips behind it and make your punches more powerful."

Any edge Hordichuk can bring with his three-year, $2.25-million-US free-agent contract will be welcome in the more rugged Western Conference.

The Canucks were third in fighting majors last season with 68 -- behind Calgary (70) and Anaheim (69) -- but the scrapping was mostly done by Jeff Cowan (12 fights), Nathan McIver (8), Alex Burrows (6), Rick Rypien (5), Kevin Bieksa (4), Brad Isbister (4) and Byron Ritchie (4). Only McIver can be considered a budding heavyweight.

"I know this is something they [Canucks] said they've been lacking for a while," added the 28-year-old Hordichuk, who went 7-1-4 last season in a dozen bouts while with Nashville.

"I think I can bring more than the fighting, too. My physical play is something where I can get there, finish hits and create turnovers. Guys will be keeping their heads up and hopefully I can create room for my linemates."

Still, Hordichuk knows why he's here and is eager to talk about the task at hand.

Part of the enthusiasm stems from being back in Canada and slugging it out on the game's biggest stages. Part of it is being closer to the Ukrainian's favourite food -- the perogy -- and knowing that the prairie pugilist will be a fan favourite if he performs as predicted.

The 6-foot-1, 215-pound Kamsack, Sask. native had three points and 60 penalty minutes in 45 games with the Predators last season. Originally, a sixth-round draft choice by Atlanta in the 2000 entry draft, Hordichuk has appeared in 302 regular-season games with Nashville, Florida, Phoenix and Atlanta.

He has 26 career points, 747 penalty minutes and tracks his opponents, just in case they switch teams in the NHL offseason.

"I now exactly where they are," chuckled Hordichuk, "I fought [Zack] Stortini three times last year and in our division, I had Jody Shelley and D.J. King and some of the toughest guys every night.

"It's just a matter of getting respect from these guys and letting the other team know that they can't run around. If they do, I'm going to go after their key guys."

FIGHTER'S A FAN

Darcy Hordichuk calls Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell the "poster child of the UFC" for his 21-5-0 record and the fact the 38-year-old Californian's favoured to regain his light-heavyweight title Saturday at Atlanta in UFC88 against undefeated Rashad "Sugar" Evans. So, why is Hordichuk taken by the Ultimate Fighting Championship?

"I grew up on it. It's interesting. Just the technique and the style, and you just appreciate what they can do," he said.

Good episodes tonight!!

I thought that I would be stoked when Junie lost or tapped out......but I had no reaction when it happened. just kinda shocked, and mad that he gave up. The only episode I liked him was the very first episode. Anything after that was a crap show!!!

Too bad Junie got a contract with the UFC. Hes fighting on the Finale i believe.

Any source? Or just pure speculation because of what he said at the end? I highly doubt it as he hasn't earned it at all. Dana doesn't have that big of a hard on for him..

If you watch Dana's video blogs, Jonie showed up in one of them and Dana asked him how his training is going and Junie replied its going great, ive been sober for so and so long and hes pumped to get back in the cage.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=yg60On4jh3k

Thats the link to his blog video with Junie in it. 10 minute mark

Edited by Famous

Junie is scheduled to face Dave Kaplan at the fianle next week. The fact this guy's even on the finale amazes me, let alone the main card!

And I give the edge to Vinny for sure. His JJ is sick. Bader is boring as hell.

But I'm psyched for the Phillipe/Efrain fight. Go NOVER!!

Edited by Johnny.

Junie is scheduled to face Dave Kaplan at the fianle next week. The fact this guy's even on the finale amazes me, let alone the main card!

And I give the edge to Vinny for sure. His JJ is sick. Bader is boring as hell.

But I'm psyched for the Phillipe/Efrain fight. Go NOVER!!

wow how did i miss the other fights all i saw was the Nover and Balder fights?

how was the Vinny and Krystof fight?

edit: anyone know of a website that streams those other 2 fights

Edited by CanuckinEdm

wow how did i miss the other fights all i saw was the Nover and Balder fights?

how was the Vinny and Krystof fight?

edit: anyone know of a website that streams those other 2 fights

There was another episode on right after the first one. I didn't know until the next day!

Krstof/Vinny was decent. Krystof was beating him in standup but then Vinny eventually just pulled him into his guard and immediately went to work on his jj and got the armlock. Meh.

Junie/Efrain was much more entertaining! Junie gets in the ring and sits down. Cocky prick. Anyways, Efrain wore him down and then in round two Efrain got him in a cool choke when Junie sorta just gave up. This was all after JUnie threw a coffee mug at Shane Primm and went psycho again. Dana let the boys decide his fate and they all agreed on him to fight. Justice was served.

There was another episode on right after the first one. I didn't know until the next day!

Krstof/Vinny was decent. Krystof was beating him in standup but then Vinny eventually just pulled him into his guard and immediately went to work on his jj and got the armlock. Meh.

Junie/Efrain was much more entertaining! Junie gets in the ring and sits down. Cocky prick. Anyways, Efrain wore him down and then in round two Efrain got him in a cool choke when Junie sorta just gave up. This was all after JUnie threw a coffee mug at Shane Primm and went psycho again. Dana let the boys decide his fate and they all agreed on him to fight. Justice was served.

Thanks, Damn did Vinny keep just lying down? i could see him doing that after getting rocked by a few punches. its not even worth watching the Finale Vinny is going to kill Balor and likewise with Nover.

It might be worth it to watch the King of denial fight thou, Junie "Overrated" Brown vs Dave "I just got Debo'd" Kaplen

I can't stand Ultimate Fighter because all the guys are douchebags. How can you get behind and support any one of those dickheads?

There's actually been some pretty nice guys on the show, it's just that the asshats tend to stick out. Well, that and locking up that much testosterone in a house with only liqueur as a cure for boredom is just a dicey proposition :P