The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

Fedor to the UFC!!! Can finally see the fedor/brock fight happen now!!

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blo...izing-deal.html

A long-awaited agreement between the Ultimate Fighting Championship and the man considered the world's best mixed martial arts fighter, Fedor Emelianenko, is expected to be announced by UFC President Dana White on Friday, a source with information about the negotiations told The Times today.
Edited by Luongo = Cup

Denying a published report Tuesday by the Los Angeles Times, M-1 Global officials told SI.com that Fedor Emelianenko and the Ultimate Fighting Championship are not close to finalizing a deal that would bring mixed martial arts' top heavyweight in the Octagon.

"I can give you a guarantee it's not accurate," said Apy Echteld of M-1 Global, a St. Petersburg, Russia-based promotion and management company of which Emelianenko is an equity stakeholder.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/mma/...anenko.Octagon/

I guess that only time will tell.

"Thanks, but no thanks" is the general attitude of Fedor Emelianenko and his management team on a contract offered to the Russian heavyweight by the UFC according to MMAScoops.com.

Emelianenko told an audience during a press conference in Orange yesterday, "The offer which was made by UFC is not interesting to us."

Lance Pugmire of The Los Angeles Times, which had originally reported earlier this week that the UFC would announce the signing of Emelianenko this Friday, noted that the intense negotiations reached "a quiet end" yesterday.

This comes after much speculation that Emelianenko would consider a contract with the UFC following the recent demise of his fighting home, Affliction Entertainment. But “nyet” says Vadim Finkelchtein, president of Emelianenko's promotion company, M-1 Global.

"The UFC sometimes calls us the crazy Russians, but we're not that crazy," Finkelchtein said. "I don't understand the policy of the UFC. The UFC won't be able to control the whole world. The market is so big. . . The UFC proposal doesn't give us a chance for us to do what we want to do."

As noted yesterday by MMAScoops.com, CBS Radio MMA host Carmichael Dave revealed that the UFC presented Emelianenko with a six-fight, $30 million dollar contract. At $5 million per fight, that would easily make him the highest paid fighter in the organization's history. He was also offered an immediate title shot, with M-1 Global receiving a cut of the Lesnar - Fedor PPV (which would likely be the biggest PPV in MMA history) on top of Emelianenko's salary. He would also be able to wear the M-1 Global logo on any of his attire, and that he would be allowed to compete in combat sambo, a point of contention in their negotiations in 2007.

However, what Emelianenko’s camp wants is for the UFC to accept a deal that will allow M-1 to co-promote two or three of Fedor's fights with the UFC, a term which is virtually guaranteed to be denied by the UFC.

"We will work only on co-promotion conditions," Finkelchtein adamantly stated.

For now, the UFC’s plan to put UFC Heavyweight champ Brock Lesnar in the octagon against the widely regarded top pound-for-pound fighter is on ice. Fedor’s management team says the heavyweight will be exploring fighting opportunities with other MMA organizations, including Strikeforce, as well as any new offers from the UFC.

No comment has been made by UFC President Dana White or company co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta on the negotiations with Emelianenko. However, UFC officials will conduct a press conference this Friday to possibly address the situation, as well announce a deal with ESPN. White may also announce the signing of some Affliction fighters to the organization, as well as a rumored return of Tito Ortiz to the organization.

It's such a shame that we won't get to see Brock vs. Fedor because of his stupid fracking management team.

It's such a shame that we won't get to see Brock vs. Fedor because of his stupid fracking management team.

You may not like it. But I love the fact that Fedor is his own man. That's what makes him great. He doesn't fight strictly for the money. His loyalty is beyond the colour of green. He's got all the money he could want already, He's got all the fame. He's got the title of being the best fighter on the planet. This is all about Dana White, not Fedor.

You may not like it. But I love the fact that Fedor is his own man. That's what makes him great. He doesn't fight strictly for the money. His loyalty is beyond the colour of green. He's got all the money he could want already, He's got all the fame. He's got the title of being the best fighter on the planet. This is all about Dana White, not Fedor.

Emelianenko told an audience during a press conference in Orange yesterday, "The offer which was made by UFC is not interesting to us."

He isn't his own man and he doesn't understand that the UFC is a business and they aren't going to promote any other MMA organizations. That's like Ted Turner asking Vince McMahon in the late 90’s to promote their company if they gave them one of their best entertainers.

Before I start this I want to make one thing very clear, I am a huge Fedor fan. The man is amazing at every aspect of the game, his submission work is probably the fastest and most dangerous, his striking is right up there with anyone in MMA, the man seems unbeatable.

However I do not consider him the best in the world mainly because he has built a very impressive 30-1 record against sub-par opponents, while for every Cro-Cop or Big Nog he has fought he has also fought Hong Man-Choi, or Hunt who I do not think anyone would rank in even the top 50 heavyweights.

You state you admire him for not fighting strictly for the money, which I will agree is admireable, but I would think you would like to test himself against the best in the world. His last two fights were against Tim and Andre, both of whom were not in the UFC, and while they were both past UFC champions they could no longer hack it there, both were on their way down and built up to be serious threats in a situation that they wern't.

You talk about his loyalty, which is again admireable. But if you look at it another way He is the only thing M-1 has to grasp on to, no Fedor no M-1, while I commend him for this he is letting the prime of his competitive career pass him by.

Here is an intresting post on a thread form ufc.com about Fedor vs Brock, and I am not a huge Brock fan, but a decent post nevertheless.

First thing I'm going to do is tick a bunch of Fedor fans off by stating that I don't think he's the best HW in the world and that I do believe he is overrated.

Now, I'm going to tell you why: Fedor has 30 wins...sounds pretty impressive doesn't it? Until you look over his opponents. Sure there are a few notables, but... 8 guys with losing records, 4 of which have 0 career wins, and a bunch of so-so guys inbetween those notables.

Seriously, it's not just the overal record of the fighter but the caliber of his opponents that makes the legend IMO. How many names can you honestly put out there from his 30 wins? Yes, *** twice, Cro Crop, then you're already dropping a tier...Sylvia and Arlovski might sound impressive until you take a look at this period of their careers (not impressive period btw).

Now, many like to bash Lesner, but let's look at each of these fighters first 5 fights.

Fedor

W- Lazarov 0-2 career record

W Lagvilava 0-2 career record

W Takada 1-3 career record

W Arona 13-5 career record

W Apostolov 0-1 career record

Brock

W- Kim 3-6 career record

L Mir 12-4 career record

W Herring 28-14 career record

W Couture 16-9 career record

W Mir 12-4 career record

Wow, so Fedor's opponents for his 1st 5 matches have amassed career numbers of 14-13 (thanks to 1 decent fighter)

Brock's...71 wins and 37 losses.

Now, to me, Brock's 4-1 record to Fedor's 5-0 is more impressive due to the level of competition he's faced at this similar point in their careers.

Heck, look at fedor's 5 most recent fights now:

W- Hunt 5-6

W Lindland 21-6 (what weight class is this guy again?)

W Choi 2-2

W Sylvia 24-6

W Arlovski 15-7

That's 67 wins and 27 losses. This includes 2 guys who had no business fighting a top notch fighter. 1 guy who had no business fighting a top notch HW and two guys who by all apearences appear washed up careerwise. I'm sorry if I'm left a bit unimpressed. I think Brock goes 5-0 against this group as well.

Is Fedor a good fighter? Yes. Is he the best HW? Not in my book until he's proved it and unfortunately for him and M-1, the bulk of that proof lies within the UFC ranks. Fighting a handfull of good fighters in a sea of not so good fighters doesn't cut it for me.

I think he is overrated more than anything in his M-1 management's eyes, They seem to think he deserves more than any fighter of any orgnaization. Let's not get THAT excited. Sure, most of us would love to see him and Brock, or Couture, or a host of other UFC fighters mix it up, but he desrves no more than a comparable, fair offer that other UFC top notch get. His management team is making him look like a prima donna and it's only going to turn more against him I believe.

Right now, he's like a good movie that's been dubbed the greatest ever by it's producers and it's only diminishing the good aspects of the film.

Now I know many will look at this and my post saying we are Brock and UFC nuthuggers, but I am far from either, I have been watching MMA far before "The Ultimate Fighter" and am just saying things the way I and the guy who wrote the post on the other site see it.

Edited by braddy

Before I start this I want to make one thing very clear, I am a huge Fedor fan. The man is amazing at every aspect of the game, his submission work is probably the fastest and most dangerous, his striking is right up there with anyone in MMA, the man seems unbeatable.

However I do not consider him the best in the world mainly because he has built a very impressive 30-1 record against sub-par opponents, while for every Cro-Cop or Big Nog he has fought he has also fought Hong Man-Choi, or Hunt who I do not think anyone would rank in even the top 50 heavyweights.

You state you admire him for not fighting strictly for the money, which I will agree is admireable, but I would think you would like to test himself against the best in the world. His last two fights were against Tim and Andre, both of whom were not in the UFC, and while they were both past UFC champions they could no longer hack it there, both were on their way down and built up to be serious threats in a situation that they wern't.

You talk about his loyalty, which is again admireable. But if you look at it another way He is the only thing M-1 has to grasp on to, no Fedor no M-1, while I commend him for this he is letting the prime of his competitive career pass him by.

Here is an intresting post on a thread form ufc.com about Fedor vs Brock, and I am not a huge Brock fan, but a decent post nevertheless.

First thing I'm going to do is tick a bunch of Fedor fans off by stating that I don't think he's the best HW in the world and that I do believe he is overrated.

Now, I'm going to tell you why: Fedor has 30 wins...sounds pretty impressive doesn't it? Until you look over his opponents. Sure there are a few notables, but... 8 guys with losing records, 4 of which have 0 career wins, and a bunch of so-so guys inbetween those notables.

Seriously, it's not just the overal record of the fighter but the caliber of his opponents that makes the legend IMO. How many names can you honestly put out there from his 30 wins? Yes, *** twice, Cro Crop, then you're already dropping a tier...Sylvia and Arlovski might sound impressive until you take a look at this period of their careers (not impressive period btw).

Now, many like to bash Lesner, but let's look at each of these fighters first 5 fights.

Fedor

W- Lazarov 0-2 career record

W Lagvilava 0-2 career record

W Takada 1-3 career record

W Arona 13-5 career record

W Apostolov 0-1 career record

Brock

W- Kim 3-6 career record

L Mir 12-4 career record

W Herring 28-14 career record

W Couture 16-9 career record

W Mir 12-4 career record

Wow, so Fedor's opponents for his 1st 5 matches have amassed career numbers of 14-13 (thanks to 1 decent fighter)

Brock's...71 wins and 37 losses.

Now, to me, Brock's 4-1 record to Fedor's 5-0 is more impressive due to the level of competition he's faced at this similar point in their careers.

Heck, look at fedor's 5 most recent fights now:

W- Hunt 5-6

W Lindland 21-6 (what weight class is this guy again?)

W Choi 2-2

W Sylvia 24-6

W Arlovski 15-7

That's 67 wins and 27 losses. This includes 2 guys who had no business fighting a top notch fighter. 1 guy who had no business fighting a top notch HW and two guys who by all apearences appear washed up careerwise. I'm sorry if I'm left a bit unimpressed. I think Brock goes 5-0 against this group as well.

Is Fedor a good fighter? Yes. Is he the best HW? Not in my book until he's proved it and unfortunately for him and M-1, the bulk of that proof lies within the UFC ranks. Fighting a handfull of good fighters in a sea of not so good fighters doesn't cut it for me.

I think he is overrated more than anything in his M-1 management's eyes, They seem to think he deserves more than any fighter of any orgnaization. Let's not get THAT excited. Sure, most of us would love to see him and Brock, or Couture, or a host of other UFC fighters mix it up, but he desrves no more than a comparable, fair offer that other UFC top notch get. His management team is making him look like a prima donna and it's only going to turn more against him I believe.

Right now, he's like a good movie that's been dubbed the greatest ever by it's producers and it's only diminishing the good aspects of the film.

Now I know many will look at this and my post saying we are Brock and UFC nuthuggers, but I am far from either, I have been watching MMA far before "The Ultimate Fighter" and am just saying things the way I and the guy who wrote the post on the other site see it.

Here let's say this simply. Best fighter on the planet bar none. Fedor has 10 years of fights under his belt and never actually lost a fight. Only had one stoppage due to a cut which happened to be a no contest and was called a loss because they needed a fighter for the next round of the tournament.

That is not over rated.

Over rating someone is when you don't have the numbers behind you and they call you great. Like how some people see Brock right now. That is the definition of overrated. Given some time. Maybe 5 or 6 or 7 defenses of his title. Then we can start calling him a great fighter. Till then Brock just happens to be the winner of the UFC title. It doesn't mean all that much till he actually holds it for any length of time.

Here is the problem and the problem lies in Dana Whites hands not Fedors. Dana White has the hugest problem in the world. He can not get his heavy weight title holder the credibility he wants or needs for people to think of him as the greatest in the world. That problem lies with having the actual Greatest fighter outside of his ranks and he can not get him under his collar. Until Brock actually beats fedor there will always be that stigma that Brock never fought the greatest and as such will always have an asterisk. The same will not be said about Fedor. Fedors legacy is already cemented.

Great post man! Until fedor fights brock, fedor is overrated.

Edited by Luongo = Cup