The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

No way to blame UFC. IIRC, the judges are picked by the athletic commissions.

Lyoto won rounds 3 and maybe 5. But that was it. Shogun took the other three, and there's no way to dispute that.

I scored it 49-46 Shogun, and I was cheering for Lyoto.

Also, I was the only one in the bar who agreed with Mazagatti's (was it him?) decision to end the Velasquez fight. Rothwell suffered one of the biggest beatdowns ever.

All in all, decent card. I liked seeing Neer get pummeled.

And we know that local judges are never ever bribed? IMO Dana White is upset that the fix was so obvious.

I'm honestly starting to think that you're spelling Shogun as Showgun on purpose by know.

+1

And we know that local judges are never ever bribed? IMO Dana White is upset that the fix was so obvious.

If they're the ones bribing, I don't think it's Dana. The UFC has more to gain with a younger, faster, likely more exciting Shogun as the champion rather than Machida.

I don't think there was a fix. It's certainly a questionable judging decision, and hopefully they get this re-match soon, outside of California.

Also, I was the only one in the bar who agreed with Mazagatti's (was it him?) decision to end the Velasquez fight. Rothwell suffered one of the biggest beatdowns ever.

I thought that fight should have been stopped earlier. Mazzagatti is a complete idiot, and can't seem to judge when people are tapping/close to being out(Brock Lesnar will agree with me).

There's a good article on Yahoo Sports by Kevin Iole who places the blame on Machida's cornermen, and argues that Shogun didn't do enough to finish the fight.

Kevin Iole is a f*ckin tool that doesn't know enough about the sport to be writing columns for about it. Don't listen to anything that guy has to say.

I don't like Kevin Iole either, but it's a well-written column and presents a good argument.

K basically for all the rookie UFC/MMA fans out there (not finger pointing anyone specifically) Shogun clearly won the fight but there is an obvious reason why Machida was given the decision. The UFC LHW division has gone through 5 different champions in 2 years and basically, that doesn't look good on paper because having one dominant figure in each weight division is better for the sport. It makes for David vs. Goliath type fights which are better to hype and promote and they typically draw huge PPV numbers. Look at GSP, AS, Brock, and BJ for instance. Each is on top of their respective division and each looks like they will not be beaten anytime soon. However, the UFC does such a good job at hyping and promoting their fights they tend to bring in more money when their poster boy(s) fight. Shogun was a massive underdog and I know that the UFC was planning on using Machida as "the next big thing" but I'm sure most people underestimated Shogun (including the UFC) cause if your like me and have followed the sport for some time we all know how dominant and dangerous he can be (think PRIDE).

Now your probably wondering where the f*ck I'm going with this. Basically, in order to beat the champ (especially one who was supposed to hold onto that LHW belt for a long, long time) you gotta convincingly beat him. Its like boxing. If you take a champ to a decision your chances diminish (unless it was a landslide) of winning that decision. Shogun clearly did not do enough in those 5 rounds to sway the judges into giving him the belt. Its sh*tty but its reality in the world of combat sports. This sh*t happens all the time in K-1 and boxing and don't be surprised if it happens more in MMA.

Well, I just typed up this column as an entry for a sports-related website I'm designing for a class. First crack at writing anything MMA. Any comments/suggestions?

After the controversial decision that allowed Lyoto Machida to retain his Ultimate Fighting Championship Light Heavyweight Title against Shogun Rua, the shouts of a fix being in took to the Internet, and, in technical terms, turned it into a crapstorm.

A quick back story for those who don’t love mixed martial arts, but love controversy. Undefeated Lyoto Machida takes on Mauricio “Shogun” Rua at UFC 104 in Los Angeles Saturday night. Shogun is an overwhelming underdog and not expected to last the full five rounds. Not only does he last five rounds, but also he beats up on Machida throughout the fight. When the fight was over, Shogun raised his hands in celebration, fully expecting a win. Oh, the poor, naïve fellow. Machida won a unanimous decision, with all three judges scoring the bout 48-47 for Machida.

So, of course, the battle went onto twitter. Everything should be treated as [sic]:

hueypsmith: shogun smoked machida! the UFC Is becoming boxing! dirty judges or blind judges.. either way they blew the fight!

hobiehong: shogun should be the champ! result was BS!!

But perhaps the most convincing argument comes from this foreign-language, all-caps 140-character rant from juaumjiu:

juaumjiu: O SHOGUN FOI ROUBADO NA LUTA CONTRA O MACHIDA UFC 104 INTERIOR DE SP CONECTADO AKI, E SEM SONO FODA TER Q ACORDAR 12:00HRS KKK

I guess I concur.

But perhaps the most shocking of all was UFC president Dana White posting on his twitter that “I hear you all. They have both agreed to a rematch” and admitting in his post-fight interview that he felt Shogun won the scrap.

In a rare instance, Kevin Iole of Yahoo! Sports had a relevant opinion:

The men who should be facing the wrath of those who felt Rua had won should not be Hamilton, Peoples and Rosales, who rendered their opinions in a very technical, taut affair. Rather, Rua supporters should be angry at his corner men, who continually told him he was well ahead.

Rua said he didn’t press the action in the final two rounds because his corner had told him he was in control. If that’s true, it’s that advice that cost him the fight. And it’s always the worst kind of advice to give a fighter in any match, but particularly a technical fight like Machida-Rua.

Iole’s assessment is pretty much correct. It’s not often, whether we’re talking about mixed martial arts, boxing or any other fighting sport, that a challenger wins against the champion on a judge’s decision. Shogun, for all he did to control the fight, never took his chances to finish it and never followed up on his attacks. Machida withstood a lot more blows, but mounted more successful combinations.

This isn’t the first time that we’ve had a controversial decision in any sport, and it certainly won’t be the last. Dana’s post-fight press conference (also, he rips into referee Steve Mazagatti) is certainly an indication that the UFC wants this one done right.

Dana White post-fight press conference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuDZwRN_O6M

FightMetric statistics: http://fightmetric.com/fights/Machida-Shogun.html

Kevin Iole column: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=Aie9...o&type=lgns

Well, I just typed up this column as an entry for a sports-related website I'm designing for a class. First crack at writing anything MMA. Any comments/suggestions?

After the controversial decision that allowed Lyoto Machida to retain his Ultimate Fighting Championship Light Heavyweight Title against Shogun Rua, the shouts of a fix being in took to the Internet, and, in technical terms, turned it into a crapstorm.

A quick back story for those who don’t love mixed martial arts, but love controversy. Undefeated Lyoto Machida takes on Mauricio “Shogun” Rua at UFC 104 in Los Angeles Saturday night. Shogun is an overwhelming underdog and not expected to last the full five rounds. Not only does he last five rounds, but also he beats up on Machida throughout the fight. When the fight was over, Shogun raised his hands in celebration, fully expecting a win. Oh, the poor, naïve fellow. Machida won a unanimous decision, with all three judges scoring the bout 48-47 for Machida.

So, of course, the battle went onto twitter. Everything should be treated as [sic]:

hueypsmith: shogun smoked machida! the UFC Is becoming boxing! dirty judges or blind judges.. either way they blew the fight!

But perhaps the most convincing argument comes from this foreign-language, all-caps 140-character rant from juaumjiu:

juaumjiu: O SHOGUN FOI ROUBADO NA LUTA CONTRA O MACHIDA UFC 104 INTERIOR DE SP CONECTADO AKI, E SEM SONO FODA TER Q ACORDAR 12:00HRS KKK

I guess I concur.

But perhaps the most shocking of all was UFC president Dana White posting on his twitter that “I hear you all. They have both agreed to a rematch” and admitting in his post-fight interview that he felt Shogun won the scrap.

The men who should be facing the wrath of those who felt Rua had won should not be Hamilton, Peoples and Rosales, who rendered their opinions in a very technical, taut affair. Rather, Rua supporters should be angry at his corner men, who continually told him he was well ahead.

Rua said he didn’t press the action in the final two rounds because his corner had told him he was in control. If that’s true, it’s that advice that cost him the fight. And it’s always the worst kind of advice to give a fighter in any match, but particularly a technical fight like Machida-Rua.

Iole’s assessment is pretty much correct. It’s not often, whether we’re talking about mixed martial arts, boxing or any other fighting sport, that a challenger wins against the champion on a judge’s decision. Shogun, for all he did to control the fight, never took his chances to finish it and never followed up on his attacks. Machida withstood a lot more blows, but mounted more successful combinations.

This isn’t the first time that we’ve had a controversial decision in any sport, and it certainly won’t be the last. Dana’s post-fight press conference (also, he rips into referee Steve Mazagatti) is certainly an indication that the UFC wants this one done right.

Dana White post-fight press conference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuDZwRN_O6M

So in your opinion column, you rip on another guy who writes an opinion column. I hope you don't plan to do this for a living. ;)

The bold part didn't make sense to me, but it could be the alcohol. And I suggest abbreviating UFC, personal bias, but I can't stand reading two separate, multi-word titles in a row. Makes it seem so wordy when they mush into one. UFC Light Heavy Weight looks and reads much better. IMHO.

Otherwise pretty good.

A quick back story for those who don't love mixed martial arts, but love controversy. Undefeated Lyoto Machida takes on Mauricio "Shogun" Rua at UFC 104 in Los Angeles Saturday night. Shogun is an overwhelming underdog and not expected to last the full five rounds. Not only does he last five rounds, but also he beats up on Machida throughout the fight. When the fight was over, Shogun raised his hands in celebration, fully expecting a win. Oh, the poor, naïve fellow. Machida won a unanimous decision, with all three judges scoring the bout 48-47 for Machida.

I guess I concur.

But perhaps the most shocking of all was UFC president Dana White posting on his twitter that "I hear you all. They have both agreed to a rematch" and admitting in his post-fight interview that he felt Shogun won the scrap.

Rua said he didn't press the action in the final two rounds because his corner had told him he was in control. If that's true, it's that advice that cost him the fight. And it's always the worst kind of advice to give a fighter in any match, but particularly a technical fight like Machida-Rua.

Iole's assessment is pretty much correct. It's not often, whether we're talking about mixed martial arts, boxing or any other fighting sport, that a challenger wins against the champion on a judge's decision. Shogun, for all he did to control the fight, never took his chances to finish it and never followed up on his attacks. Machida withstood a lot more blows, but mounted more successful combinations.

This isn't the first time that we've had a controversial decision in any sport, and it certainly won't be the last. Dana's post-fight press conference (also, he rips into referee Steve Mazagatti) is certainly an indication that the UFC wants this one done right.

Not bad, by the time you get to college your writing will be more refined and these will be top notch. Keep up the good work.

Just kidding. You're already top notch.

So in your opinion column, you rip on another guy who writes an opinion column. I hope you don't plan to do this for a living. ;)

The bold part didn't make sense to me, but it could be the alcohol. And I suggest abbreviating UFC, personal bias, but I can't stand reading two separate, multi-word titles in a row. Makes it seem so wordy when they mush into one. UFC Light Heavy Weight looks and reads much better. IMHO.

Otherwise pretty good.

Well we have to follow Canadian Press style, which means that you have to type things out fully, and abbreviate them later. If this was a personal or professional website, I'd fully abbreviate it from the start, but for class, well, I need the grades.

And I constantly rip on hip "insiders" from the mainstream media for almost every sport. Nothing new with Iole. That's just me, tho.

(and yeah, fully planning on doing this kind of stuff for a living. actually :unsure: )

Well we have to follow Canadian Press style, which means that you have to type things out fully, and abbreviate them later. If this was a personal or professional website, I'd fully abbreviate it from the start, but for class, well, I need the grades.

And I constantly rip on hip "insiders" from the mainstream media for almost every sport. Nothing new with Iole. That's just me, tho.

(and yeah, fully planning on doing this kind of stuff for a living. actually :unsure: )

Haha that makes sense then.

It was pretty good, my comment was rather tongue in cheek.

What are you taking? Journalism?

Sorry guys, I didn't thoroughly read all the posts, but for those of you dissapointed in the ruling of the Shogun-Machida fight here's why I agree with the decision DESPITE THINKING SHOGUN WON AS WELL.

To beat the Champ, you gotta BEAT the Champ.

It can't be an extremely close decision and although Shogun technically won, he didn't do it convincingly or do enough to clearly walk away with the belt. The Champ gets the benefit of the doubt. That's how it should be done.

Sorry guys, I didn't thoroughly read all the posts, but for those of you dissapointed in the ruling of the Shogun-Machida fight here's why I agree with the decision DESPITE THINKING SHOGUN WON AS WELL.

To beat the Champ, you gotta BEAT the Champ.

It can't be an extremely close decision and although Shogun technically won, he didn't do it convincingly or do enough to clearly walk away with the belt. The Champ gets the benefit of the doubt. That's how it should be done.

Really? So you think that not winning by enough means you should lose. I am just trying to clarify this. As the fightmetrics that Hordichuk posted. It was quite one sided.

Edited by Harbinger

Really? So you think that not winning by enough means you should lose. I am just trying to clarify this.

I just think if the judges were on the fench regarding scoring a round, they will give it to the champ. On top of that, Shogun didn't do anything spectacular in the rounds he did win (ie. No gigantic blows landed, no takedowns, no almost submissions, no headshots). Machida had some red ribs from his kicks...the rest of the fight was kind of meh. Shogun should have tried harder to capatilize in the final round and do something to ensure the judges ruled in his favour, rather than just hoping what he did was enough to take away the belt.

Edited by LeafsBlowPouch

I just think if the judges were on the fench regarding scoring a round, they will give it to the champ. On top of that, Shogun didn't do anything spectacular in the rounds he did win (ie. No gigantic blows landed, no takedowns, no almost submissions, no headshots). Machida had some red ribs from his kicks...the rest of the fight was kind of meh. Shogun should have tried harder to capatilize in the final round and do something to ensure the judges ruled in his favour, rather than just hoping what he did was enough to take any the belt.

Ask yourself this question if you don't think it was enough to win. Do you think there would be this outcry if Machida had lost?