The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

9 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Exactly how I thought it would go.

Lawler hasn't had the fire for a few fights now. 

I hate seeing 5 round fights where both opponents are still walking around looking ok. They just don't lay it on the line like they used to, but in this case that's more on Robbie.

Colby sounds as dumb as as hell, stumbles over his words. Not a very talented trash talker, more just a troll.. At least he showed everyone on national tv that even UFC fans hate the Trumps. Lots of booing. 

He sounded great post fight with Usman at the booth. Definitely verbally out classed Snoozeman in that one. He is cringe, but getting better at the trash talking. It's all part of the show. You want the real Colby watch the Tales of Fighter series posted back in 2012/2013 on Youtube when he was living with Masvidal. This is just the persona he chose to get attention and recognition in the UFC. It's working. Can't knock the dudes cardio and RELENTLESS pressure. 

Will be a great title fight. Both him and Marty have cardio for days. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

He sounded great post fight with Usman at the booth. Definitely verbally out classed Snoozeman in that one. He is cringe, but getting better at the trash talking. It's all part of the show. You want the real Colby watch the Tales of Fighter series posted back in 2012/2013 on Youtube when he was living with Masvidal. This is just the persona he chose to get attention and recognition in the UFC. It's working. Can't knock the dudes cardio and RELENTLESS pressure. 

Will be a great title fight. Both him and Marty have cardio for days. 

That is a veryyyyyyyyyy low bar. That was just pathetic by both of them. Colby can't trash talk for $&!#. 

The persona is so corny considering the guy did his degree in Sociology. He is actually so fun to watch (IMO), it is a shame that what got him to this position (his persona) makes him less likeable. 

• Cheers 1

On 8/4/2019 at 12:32 AM, RRypien37 said:

He sounded great post fight with Usman at the booth

Didn't hear it. Turned off the broadcast. I'm no Matt Hughes fan but the train comment was gross.

You want the real Colby watch the Tales of Fighter series posted back in 2012/2013 on Youtube when he was living with Masvidal. This is just the persona he chose to get attention and recognition in the UFC.

That's just it. He's a great fighter that has potential for a long lucrative career. He didn't need to add a character as he was already a natural heel, like a poor man's Sonnen. But now he is doing this WWE Trump suck up job. It make's him look weak, desperate and obvious. I'm no fan of Mcnugget either but at least he is acting as he always has.

Will be a great title fight. Both him and Marty have cardio for days

Not too excited, could be a cuddle puddle.

Think Gamebred gets the Conor scrap? Chael thinks he will, Dana says no, so maybe there's something to the rumours that it actually could happen? but I would think Leon would get Masdival next if neither are getting the title shot..

15 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Didn't hear it. Turned off the broadcast. I'm no Matt Hughes fan but the train comment was gross.

That's just it. He's a great fighter that has potential for a long lucrative career. He didn't need to add a character as he was already a natural heel, like a poor man's Sonnen. But now he is doing this WWE Trump suck up job. It make's him look weak, desperate and obvious. I'm no fan of Mcnugget either but at least he is acting as he always has.

Not too excited, could be a cuddle puddle.

Think Gamebred gets the Conor scrap? Chael thinks he will, Dana says no, so maybe there's something to the rumours that it actually could happen? but I would think Leon would get Masdival next if neither are getting the title shot..

I think Masvidal would wreck Conor. Wayyyy too big. If UFC is a business, and it definitely is, they need to act like boxing promoters and give Conor winnable fights. I think McGregor would beat Gathje. If Gathje gets through Cowboy, that would be the fight to make IMO. 

1 minute ago, Down by the River said:

I think Masvidal would wreck Conor. Wayyyy too big. If UFC is a business, and it definitely is, they need to act like boxing promoters and give Conor winnable fights. I think McGregor would beat Gathje. If Gathje gets through Cowboy, that would be the fight to make IMO. 

I agree.

However stylistically Conor matches up well with Masdival. They would bang and Connie's left hand must be respected. Their size difference isn't that much too,, hasn't Masdival competed at 155?

He likes to roll the dice, IF it were to happen we would hear how Jorge is 4x bigger than Conor everyday leading up to the fight.

LOLing hard at the "Masvidal is too big" for Conor comments. He has fought the majority of his career at 155 and barely cuts weight to get to 170. He is also 5'10", SLIGHTLY taller than Conor.

This reminds of when Nate beat Conor, everyone was claiming him as the "GIANT" of a man who walked into the cage at over 200 come fight time. The reality was he fought pretty much entire career at 155 and the fight had to be at 170 only because he had 11 days notice.

Both Masvidal and Diaz are natural 155'ers, just tired of cutting weight (and I don't blame them). 

The constant protection of Conor is hilarious. Not that I think it ever happens but Gamebred would eat Conor alive. He has no quit and has superior striking/experience. 

8 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

LOLing hard at the "Masvidal is too big" for Conor comments. He has fought the majority of his career at 155 and barely cuts weight to get to 170. He is also 5'10", SLIGHTLY taller than Conor.

This reminds of when Nate beat Conor, everyone was claiming him as the "GIANT" of a man who walked into the cage at over 200 come fight time. The reality was he fought pretty much entire career at 155 and the fight had to be at 170 only because he had 11 days notice.

Both Masvidal and Diaz are natural 155'ers, just tired of cutting weight (and I don't blame them). 

The constant protection of Conor is hilarious. Not that I think it ever happens but Gamebred would eat Conor alive. He has no quit and has superior striking/experience. 

Masvidal has fought more in the UFC at 170 than at 155. And his history of difficult weight cuts at 155 is well documented (http://southlandpost.com/shocking-footage-of-ufcs-jorge-masvidals-weight-cut-to-155lbs-emerges/). You are acting like someone that was once a 155er is going to always be the same size. 

20 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Masvidal has fought more in the UFC at 170 than at 155. And his history of difficult weight cuts at 155 is well documented (http://southlandpost.com/shocking-footage-of-ufcs-jorge-masvidals-weight-cut-to-155lbs-emerges/). You are acting like someone that was once a 155er is going to always be the same size. 

Yes. Because he would balloon to over 200 pounds between fights and had a HORRIBLE diet. It has been stated and he has admitted himself. I have been watching Masvidal since 2013. Have a look at his old "Tales from the Grind" chronicles with Colby. The dude would eat ice cream and brownies for breakfast and have McDonalds everyday while playing video games. He only became fully dedicated to the sport inside AND outside the ring recently, which has shown in his past few fights. 

He isn't a big guy. I remember him stating in his last few fights at 170 he said he would come into camp at about 178-180. He just doesn't want to cut weight anymore. Many fighters on that train. Same can be said for Pettis, Diaz and Lee who all used to fight at 155. 

Edited by RRypien37

4 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

So good, honestly not sure which one I'm more interested in.

Probably seeing if Stockton Slapper can get back in the news with a good showing vs Wheaties Box Guy, 

Most stoked for Romero vs Costa. The battle of ultimate physiques. This is the real test for Costa. Title shot if he wins imho. Will be insane. Still think Romero is the toughest middle weight on the planet to face (not the best but most grueling opponent). 

Edited by RRypien37
  • Upvote 1

On 8/11/2019 at 6:57 PM, bishopshodan said:

So good, honestly not sure which one I'm more interested in.

Probably seeing if Stockton Slapper can get back in the news with a good showing vs Wheaties Box Guy, 

Huge nate diaz fan, but man pettis looks dangerous just from open workouts. His superman type punch vs Thompson was devastating so im a bit worried for nate. Not to mention leg kicks are like his achilles heel

although its been 3 years since diaz fought and he is as proven as they come so im looking forward to it. He looks solid physically but never shows any training technique videos for hype lol

Edited by Chicken.

50 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Huge nate diaz fan, but man pettis looks dangerous just from open workouts. His superman type punch vs Thompson was devastating so im a bit worried for nate. Not to mention leg kicks are like his achilles heel

although its been 3 years since diaz fought and he is as proven as they come so im looking forward to it. He looks solid physically but never shows any training technique videos for hype lol

Nate may have to go back to them roots.

Diaz-vs.-Pellegrino.png.b005496a13f7adada33a3eee6fac8044.png

3 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

I agree, although, Pettis is a BJJ blackbelt too IIRC and looked good against Charles oliviera

Olivera lacks the taunting and cussin' ...very important element to Diaz's bjj:P

I like Pettis, saw him here in Van. I thought Wonderboy was winning until that sick superman.

This could be a great fight.

Conor's assault video is par for the course for this kid.

Sad to see, world class fighter sucker punches old man.

The only redeeming part is this white haired old dude can take a punch, making Conor look even more like a child.

This is the last time I will post about him. I'm 1/4 Irish, my dad used to talk about the tough 'tinkers' ( pikey's) that he would meet when he was up trading horses in Northern England. One of my fav movies is Snatch, it literally reminds me of where I was born. When I first saw Mcgregor, I thought Brad Pitts character had come to life. I was an instant fan. That's long gone now.

Have a look at the tough guy.

https://www.tmz.com/2019/08/15/conor-mcgregor-irish-pub-old-man-punch-whiskey-dispute/

Edited by bishopshodan

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Conor's assault video is par for the course for this kid.

Sad to see, world class fighter sucker punches old man.

The only redeeming part is this white haired old dude can take a punch, making Conor look even more like a child.

This is the last time I will post about him. I'm 1/4 Irish, my dad used to talk about the tough 'tinkers' ( pikey's) that he would meet when he was up trading horses in Northern England. One of my fav movies is Snatch, it literally reminds me of where I was born. When I first saw Mcgregor, I thought Brad Pitts character had come to life. I was an instant fan. That's long gone now.

Have a look at the tough guy.

https://www.tmz.com/2019/08/15/conor-mcgregor-irish-pub-old-man-punch-whiskey-dispute/

Dana White on Jim Rome's show:

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Dana White on Jim Rome's show:

Thanks I enjoyed that.

Dana always sounds like he makes sense, talks with conviction. 

However, its just a sales job. He made me chuckle with a couple statements.

-"Nate never says F-U to the man" "...except in business, he's a nightmare to deal with"

Well Dana, I have seen you let him slap you across the face ( you're also not really 'the man') and the nightmare in the business negotiations is kinda saying F-U to the man, Nate does what he wants.

- "sprinkle a ton of money on a professional fighter , get ready, get ready for a disaster"

....Yeah, but no Dana.. there's many examples of well paid fighters that act accordingly. Way to imply that all fighters are unstable. Ha, 5mins later he is talking about how amazing DC is as a person. 

- "the president called me after the (Cormier, Stipe) fight"...Rome goes " huh, and"  completely unimpressed. haha. Then seem to realise how stoked Dana is about that and pumps him up a bit..." thee president? our president!?"

• Haha 2