The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

You always have antonio silva junior. ;) I would put him against Brock in a second. But he's a super heavyweight. But on the other hand. I would have no problem watching Fedor fight him either. I wouldn't think it was unfair at all. even at a 70 lb difference. In my eyes all weight classes below heavy weight are basically vying for second best. Just a personal opinion. But as for strength at those weights. I disagree that 40 lbs in heavy weight is unsubstantial. a 40 lb difference is substantial especially if the person you are fighting is fit. One of my good friends is about 235. He trains mma. He has said many times An out of shape dude with an extra 40 lbs on you is tough to deal with. But a Fat guy that is 40 lbs over size that is when it becomes easier. 40 lbs at the end of a punch changes things up. Just look at Tim Silvia for that. The guy is not ripped. But he's tall and heavy. He can deliver powerful punches because of the extra weight. If he was 40 lbs lighter do you think he would stand a chance in mma? The difference between a guy that is 185 and 205 is not a whole heck of a lot different seeing as I'm 195. I'm speaking from experience.

You are talking normal people in terms of personal experience. A very strong 170 pounder vs a very strong 205 is a HUGE difference.

Ive always felt Tim Sylvia sucked. Hes only got reach. When he fought Nog once it hit the ground the dude was horrible. Or when Randy got in close Tim again sucked. That again is another advantage, when you opponent is making 265 at that height it means hes skinny and easier to take down. Look at when Brandon Vera fought him, he got in close and Tim didnt do much and this was after Vera broke his hand too.

An out of shape dude with an extra 40 lbs on you is tough to deal with. But a Fat guy that is 40 lbs over size that is when it becomes easier. 40 lbs at the end of a punch changes things up

because fat people have poor balance. they are slow.

the problem here is that Anderson Silva and GSP are both in GREAT shape nullyfying any advantage here. Both fighting at their own weight would be a 185 vs 220. Its not even close here. The power difference is huge. But style wise GSP could win because Anderson has horrible ground game but still, a GSP at 6'2 220 would kill an Anderson at 6'2 220. The reach would be the same. At the moment Anderson has more reach on GSP so the standup is unfair.

At heavyweight you dont have to care about the shape the other person is at. If you are in shape and can move quick you basically have the KO power to knock someone out in your class. Hence the 60 pound difference.

Why do you think there isnt a heavyweight 205-265 and a 144-204 division?

Generally the heavyweight division should be where the best are but at the moment the training of these guys is nowhere near boxing standards as it is in the other MMA divisions. The guys at MMA heavyweight are for the most part old, fat and out of shape. I honestly think of Fedor dropped to 205 he would get beat. Just like when he fought Arona. Arona is smaller than the other heavyweight but gave him the best match because Arona was quicker then the big guys.

You are talking normal people in terms of personal experience. A very strong 170 pounder vs a very strong 205 is a HUGE difference.

Ive always felt Tim Sylvia sucked. Hes only got reach. When he fought Nog once it hit the ground the dude was horrible. Or when Randy got in close Tim again sucked. That again is another advantage, when you opponent is making 265 at that height it means hes skinny and easier to take down. Look at when Brandon Vera fought him, he got in close and Tim didnt do much and this was after Vera broke his hand too.

because fat people have poor balance. they are slow.

the problem here is that Anderson Silva and GSP are both in GREAT shape nullyfying any advantage here. Both fighting at their own weight would be a 185 vs 220. Its not even close here. The power difference is huge. But style wise GSP could win because Anderson has horrible ground game but still, a GSP at 6'2 220 would kill an Anderson at 6'2 220. The reach would be the same. At the moment Anderson has more reach on GSP so the standup is unfair.

At heavyweight you dont have to care about the shape the other person is at. If you are in shape and can move quick you basically have the KO power to knock someone out in your class. Hence the 60 pound difference.

Why do you think there isnt a heavyweight 205-265 and a 144-204 division?

Generally the heavyweight division should be where the best are but at the moment the training of these guys is nowhere near boxing standards as it is in the other MMA divisions. The guys at MMA heavyweight are for the most part old, fat and out of shape. I honestly think of Fedor dropped to 205 he would get beat. Just like when he fought Arona. Arona is smaller than the other heavyweight but gave him the best match because Arona was quicker then the big guys.

I would love to agree with you. But seeing as fedor is actually carrying extra weight on top of his muscle I doubt he would have any issues with any 205 lb'er There would likely be some comptetive fights. Nothing he couldn't take care of though. He could probably lose 15 lbs of fat and cut to 205 and not suffer much at all. I think a lot of people think that being ripped is a sign of strength. It's just a sign of working hard. But has little to do with actual strength. I have a fat friend that we ironically call "Tiny" Probably about 5"10 300lbs. We were at ozzfest the first year they had it. They had one of those sledgehammer games. He walks up to the thing and just smashes it. The Bell rang so hard everyone stopped moving with in about 40 feet of the game. He takes the cd he won and walks up to the bleacher we were sitting at. For the next thirty minutes the line that formed after seeing him do it tried and tried to accomplish the same task. We saw Bikers and roid monkeys the whole throng of bad intentioned. So we thought "Fluke" he got lucky. He says let's see if it's a fluke. He went down and successfully did it again. The line dispersed right afterwards. Weight is a funny thing when delivering power.

I would love to agree with you. But seeing as fedor is actually carrying extra weight on top of his muscle I doubt he would have any issues with any 205 lb'er There would likely be some comptetive fights. Nothing he couldn't take care of though. He could probably lose 15 lbs of fat and cut to 205 and not suffer much at all. I think a lot of people think that being ripped is a sign of strength. It's just a sign of working hard. But has little to do with actual strength. I have a fat friend that we ironically call "Tiny" Probably about 5"10 300lbs. We were at ozzfest the first year they had it. They had one of those sledgehammer games. He walks up to the thing and just smashes it. The Bell rang so hard everyone stopped moving with in about 40 feet of the game. He takes the cd he won and walks up to the bleacher we were sitting at. For the next thirty minutes the line that formed after seeing him do it tried and tried to accomplish the same task. We saw Bikers and roid monkeys the whole throng of bad intentioned. So we thought "Fluke" he got lucky. He says let's see if it's a fluke. He went down and successfully did it again. The line dispersed right afterwards. Weight is a funny thing when delivering power.

Fedor is a strong guy. Muscle size isnt equivalent to strength.

Hypertrophy is the term for bigger muscles. Strength training is a seperate thing. Bodybuilding and strength training arent the same thing.

I know that for personal experience. Ive been weight lifting for the past 6 years. I am built but im not particularly super strong because i was bodybuilding not strength training.

Certain exercises trigger different responses. One for strength one for hypertrophy. They are associated but bigger muscles dont = more size. But if you can combine them both and be big and strong then you are a force like GSP.

There are guys that are 210 pounds that can only bench press 160 and guys thats are only 160 bench press 210. Dana has a build just like Fedor and he benches 315.

The guys at LHW are both built and strong. Its good that fedor is still quick but its his speed that can take out guys. Thats why i think he would lose at LHW.

HW division is super weak. I mean if Frank wins his next match who does he fight? Hardly anyone competitive in the mix. the heavyweight division lacks complete fighters.

Fedor is a strong guy. Muscle size isnt equivalent to strength.

Hypertrophy is the term for bigger muscles. Strength training is a seperate thing. Bodybuilding and strength training arent the same thing.

I know that for personal experience. Ive been weight lifting for the past 6 years. I am built but im not particularly super strong because i was bodybuilding not strength training.

Certain exercises trigger different responses. One for strength one for hypertrophy. They are associated but bigger muscles dont = more size. But if you can combine them both and be big and strong then you are a force like GSP.

There are guys that are 210 pounds that can only bench press 160 and guys thats are only 160 bench press 210. Dana has a build just like Fedor and he benches 315.

The guys at LHW are both built and strong. Its good that fedor is still quick but its his speed that can take out guys. Thats why i think he would lose at LHW.

HW division is super weak. I mean if Frank wins his next match who does he fight? Hardly anyone competitive in the mix. the heavyweight division lacks complete fighters.

I don't think it really lacks fighters. It lacks fighters that are willing to fight at that weight. Lots of guys cut their weight so they don't have to fight in the heavies.

I don't think it really lacks fighters. It lacks fighters that are willing to fight at that weight. Lots of guys cut their weight so they don't have to fight in the heavies.

I agree. Thats true too.

I think more people see the challenge in LHW. Brandon Vera was the only dude that wanted to take the other route. He said he wanted to win HW and then see if he can win LHW. He should have stayed in HW because hes going to get lit up in LHW.

I agree. Thats true too.

I think more people see the challenge in LHW. Brandon Vera was the only dude that wanted to take the other route. He said he wanted to win HW and then see if he can win LHW. He should have stayed in HW because hes going to get lit up in LHW.

I don't think many fighters look at challenges as much as they look for money. I think for most of these guys the fact that they cut weight has nothing to do with being in a more competitive division as much as it means they think they can gain an advantage by being larger than their opponents. Which would mean more money at the end of the day if they can keep winning.

Edited by Harbinger

I don't think many fighters look at challenges as much as they look for money. I think for most of these guys the fact that they cut weight has nothing to do with being in a more competitive division as much as it means they think they can gain an advantage by being larger than their opponents. Which would mean more money at the end of the day if they can keep winning.

that is true. cutting weight is a skill too.

You cant have same day weigh ins because if someone misses weight then there is no show. Plus they tried it in boxing and people started dying of fatigue.

Being the biggest you can be in a division does help.

Plus i think the LHW division has been more popular than the HW division. Its more of an interesting division. I hope bigger dudes start training MMA too. I think the big athletic guys are lost to other sports where they can make more money.

Because if you look at boxing heavyweights these guys are super big/strong and super cut athletes. MMA heavyweights pale in comparison.

I merged the threads with the other two about BJ penn thing earlier, did it work or did they get lost?

It looks to me that one of them is here for sure. I don't know about the other. But this is just perfect. Too many threads to follow. This works for me.

I didnt realize we had a UFC thread and I know I'm pointing out old news and that it has probably already been discussed but I am still annoyed over the fact that Roger Huerta has decided to go after his acting/modeling career. To be honest, the only sucess I see him getting is the modeling part. I dont see him as a good actor, this is of course from pure guessing. Im looking forward to his last fight but it sucks to have your favourite fighter leave like that. Oh well, go GSP I guess.

I didnt realize we had a UFC thread and I know I'm pointing out old news and that it has probably already been discussed but I am still annoyed over the fact that Roger Huerta has decided to go after his acting/modeling career. To be honest, the only sucess I see him getting is the modeling part. I dont see him as a good actor, this is of course from pure guessing. Im looking forward to his last fight but it sucks to have your favourite fighter leave like that. Oh well, go GSP I guess.

Yeah, there's not many role opportunities for Latin actors outside "Latsploitation" and Training Day type movies. Oh well I wish him luck all the same.

Did Amir win? I missed it.

Sadollah's second UFC fight was scheduled to be against Nick Catone at UFC 91. However, due to a leg infection, Sadollah withdrew from the match. A replacement for Sadollah could not be found so the match was scrubbed from the card. The match was rescheduled for February 7th, 2009 at UFC Fight Night 17. On January 23, Sadollah was, again, forced to withdraw from the fight due, this time to a broken clavicle.

Rumble needs better recognition, and better competition. Same as Cain. Those two could be beasts, but they need to prove themselves against quality opponents.

Oh and apparently UFC 100 will tale place July 11 at Mandalay Bay in Vegas. Bet your ah-noose that I'll be there!