The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Snow?

CanucksFan415

Meh. With all this cold air coming in, it was inevitable that we see snow in December.

Please...PLEASE don't cause the CanadaLine system to shut down. There will be 80,000 pissed off people that day if it does.

Snow early in the week, followed by warmer temperatures and rain mid-week, and then returning to cold and sunny weather.

I'd love to see snow!

According to the Weather Network today:

- Friday: 1 cm

- Saturday: 5-10 cm

- Sunday: 15-cm

- Monday: 5-10 cm

The Canada Line shouldn't see too many problems in Vancouver as it's all tunnel, but it's possible there could be some problems south of Marine Drive which could then create problems in the Vancouver tunnel. Wheel slip is a major issue for the elevated and at-grade sections.

I'm actually more concerned about InTransitBC being cheap and refusing to add more trains for the increased ridership during the snow.

Edited by nitronuts

Snow early in the week, followed by warmer temperatures and rain mid-week, and then returning to cold and sunny weather.

I'd love to see snow!

According to the Weather Network today:

- Friday: 1 cm

- Saturday: 5-10 cm

- Sunday: 15-cm

- Monday: 5-10 cm

The Canada Line shouldn't see too many problems in Vancouver as it's all tunnel, but it's possible there could be some problems south of Marine Drive which could then create problems in the Vancouver tunnel. Wheel slip is a major issue for the elevated and at-grade sections.

I'm actually more concerned about InTransitBC being cheap and refusing to add more trains for the increased ridership during the snow.

finally i get to use my snow tires.

i was sorta hoping to see some snow since i bought them.

let see how they handle with rwd.

We've seen intransitbc be cheap already...do you expect better?

At best, it'll be every 12-15 minutes in PM peak because trains can't go at max speed in Richmond and YVR. This leads to crowding at platforms, which means the whole fxcking system's down again.

Our first snowfall is on the way for the weekend.

About time.

On a side note, anyone know if the local ponds are suitable for skating on yet? It's been about 5 days below freezing in a row, would be nice to get some shinny in before the snow.

About time.

On a side note, anyone know if the local ponds are suitable for skating on yet? It's been about 5 days below freezing in a row, would be nice to get some shinny in before the snow.

i didn't know it was ever cold enough to skate on ponds

where do you go usually? i'd love to skate outdoors!

i didn't know it was ever cold enough to skate on ponds

where do you go usually? i'd love to skate outdoors!

There's usually about one stretch per winter where you can skate on the ponds for a couple days. I go to the Serpentine Fen it's on King George Highway at about 44th in South Surrey. A couple of years ago a private company had mini rinks set up with nets and skate rentals and everything, it was pretty awesome.

There's usually about one stretch per winter where you can skate on the ponds for a couple days. I go to the Serpentine Fen it's on King George Highway at about 44th in South Surrey. A couple of years ago a private company had mini rinks set up with nets and skate rentals and everything, it was pretty awesome.

Good to know, thanks!

a COUPLE years ago . . . last time I remember going there I was an avid 5 year old hockey player, so 16 years ago!!!

was it really open recently? i cant believe i missed it!

Stupid Weather Network. Yesterday, they said there would be atleast 30-40 cm of snow by Monday.

Now they've changed their mind, and we barely get any snow <_<

That's why you don't rely on the weather network. They're so bad and unreliable and always change their forecasts because they're just not accurate. Go to Environment Canada's page:

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/bc-74_metric_e.html

Memorize it, bookmark it, do what you gotta do. Looks pretty white in that forecast.

a COUPLE years ago . . . last time I remember going there I was an avid 5 year old hockey player, so 16 years ago!!!

was it really open recently? i cant believe i missed it!

Haha I remember that, I was around the same age and my dad brother and I played with pylons at each end. I think they were open last year. Also I remember a couple years ago on 64th Ave between 152nd and 168th where those farm fields are there was this flooded field that turned into a rink for people.

We've seen intransitbc be cheap already...do you expect better?

At best, it'll be every 12-15 minutes in PM peak because trains can't go at max speed in Richmond and YVR. This leads to crowding at platforms, which means the whole fxcking system's down again.

Don't you miss the days when the 488/490/491/492/496 were still around? So if one fails, you can just take the other one into Richmond and just local-route it from RC or Steveston?

Edited by BuckyHermit

*Sigh* Being from Winnipeg and this being my first winter out here I was stoked to see the forecast for snow all weekend yesterday... now it's done a complete 180 and going to rain. crap sucks.

where'd you get the rain part from?

this site is showing 5 days of snow

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/bc-74_metric_e.html

all i ask is that the snow holds off until i'm done exams