The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

Or, if you're connecting from SkyTrain, 169 from Braid Station to Coq. Ctr. is much quicker also, mostly because there are practically no stops along Lougheed Highway near Riverview.

I usually took that shortcut.

Ya, I've never understood the people who take the 97 to get from CC to skytrain. Almost seems like false advertising.

Ya, when the 97 first came in I was excited because I thought it would get me from Coquitlam Centre to Lougheed faster, then I found out the route it takes. The 151 and 152 are both faster than the B-line, it's a joke of a bus.

Umm, I used to love the 97 when I went to Douglas. But that's because I could get it straight there rather than having to transfer at Coquitlam Station.

West Vancouver approves ferry service

The District of West Vancouver approved a ferry service Monday night that will run from Ambleside Pier to downtown Vancouver.

The 67-seat vessel, operated by Coastal Link Ferries, will take passengers across in 10 minutes. It'll cost $4 for a one-way trip and $7 for a round trip.

The council approved a six-month trial that could begin as early as next month.

"It has been tried in the past but not on this scale," said owner Ihab Shaker. "Other people have tried it with much smaller vessels which were not economical to operate, or way bigger vessels, which again were not the right size at the time. I believe we have the right combination."

Coastal Ferries already runs a passenger ferry from Bowen Island to Vancouver.

In an interview Monday, Councillor Trish Panz told ctvbc.ca that the ferry service made sense.

"Certainly, when we're looking at the Olympics and asking people to consider other modes of transportation," Panz said. "I've personally got a lot of positive feedback from it."

Shaker says the last time West Vancouver had a regular ferry service to downtown Vancouver was 1958 -- 20 years after the construction of the Lions Gate Bridge.

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/C...ishColumbiaHome

Just a heads up.

This new West Van service begins November 17th.

http://www.coastallinkferries.com/index.php?p=ferry_services

Only $4 one way and $7 return for the first month.

Edited by Buggernut
  • Upvote 2

I had the nicest bus driver ever on the 99 yesterday evening. Every stop, he would say "Clark drive upcoming, we'll just cross this road and be right there. You can catch the XY bus and the YX bus here!"

Then

"Here we are at clark, don't forget your umbrellas or anything else! Watch your step getting off the bus. Have a good evening."

Then at Commercial, we had to wait through a couple rotations of the light and he went "sorry folks, we'll get there eventually, we'll catch the next light for sure!"

"Watch your step, and don't forget your mittens, gloves, scarves, umbrellas, backpacks, purses, ...." and he went on. ANd he did it all with an accent.

Really made me smile. If you ever happen to read this Sir Bus Driver, thank you!

I had the nicest bus driver ever on the 99 yesterday evening. Every stop, he would say "Clark drive upcoming, we'll just cross this road and be right there. You can catch the XY bus and the YX bus here!"

Then

"Here we are at clark, don't forget your umbrellas or anything else! Watch your step getting off the bus. Have a good evening."

Then at Commercial, we had to wait through a couple rotations of the light and he went "sorry folks, we'll get there eventually, we'll catch the next light for sure!"

"Watch your step, and don't forget your mittens, gloves, scarves, umbrellas, backpacks, purses, ...." and he went on. ANd he did it all with an accent.

Really made me smile. If you ever happen to read this Sir Bus Driver, thank you!

Personally, I think I would find it annoying and be tempted to go up to him to tell him to shut up.:lol:

I once had a driver on the 49 who had a trivia contest every afternoon... he'd ask the question as the bus turned from 16th to SW Marine, and would give us until 41st at SW Marine to ponder the answer.

I remember Global did a story on a bus driver that did that.

We need a Facebook group for 49 riders (or former 49 riders like myself)... there are quite a number of us, it seems, and we all have interesting stories to tell. The 49 rocks.

Well Bucky, your FB group for those who saw the SFU guy is dead, so I doubt a group for the 49 riders will fare any better...

Well Bucky, your FB group for those who saw the SFU guy is dead, so I doubt a group for the 49 riders will fare any better...

But the SFU Guy group wasn't supposed to get big -- it was supposed to be an inside joke sort of deal.

Edit: "fare"... lol

Edited by BuckyHermit

True, but it was still faster to transfer @ CC if the buses matched up.

They rarely ever did. I have really bad memories of waiting for the 169 for half an hour at Coqitlam Station coming home from swimming practices when I was in highschool (we practiced out at the rec centre beside Douglas.) And I still don't think it would have been faster regardless, unless the 160 was there right when you got off the 169. Maybe the buses are different now, but I don't remember the 169 being that fast...

Seriously, the 97 cut down my trip by at least 20 minutes if not more than that. It's always better to avoid transferring if you can.