The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

I know allot of people are going to scorch me for this but I fail to see the reason why nobody questions his ability to play in the nhl. Every game i watch with him in the lineup(all of them) I find myself screaming at the tv because of the stupid stuff the guy does. Personally i'd rather have any of the guys that are fighting for a spot on the team rather than burrows. Everyone's #1 reason they like this guy from what I read on this forum "He's great on the pk. Who cares! Anyone can do this thats fighting for a spot. He can't score and i'm tired of kesler carrying this guy on his back night after night, I'm tired of him losing the puck, falling down everywhere seriously this guy falls down a hundred times a night can't he skate its ridiculous, stupid penalties its endless. "He plays with grit" is another common description tossed out when his name comes up. That ok sure he pisses off guys but fails to do really be able finish that job off by being able to fight because he can't. IMOP he's an embarrassment to the team. Please Gillis let this guy go keep Krog or Pettinger or Brown whoever. let er rip.

Surprised your only a -67 LOL

Kids got heart anyway good enough

Woot Burrows !!!

LOL, -66 *snicker*

I'm glad you were here to keep the drive alive.

I turned on my radio on the way home from work to hear "Oh my, what a great play by Burrows". So I pretended I was bumping the thread in my car, but really I think I mostly bumped the curb and spilled my water.

Go Burr!!

• Upvote 2

You have to agree though..

Without the Sedins... He is nothing... a third liner at best.

yes... but it doesn't matter because he is exactly the type of player they need. he makes them better and they make him better and he can play at a 1st line level when he's with them, which is all that matters. therein lies the magic of the sedins :)

You have to agree though..

Without the Sedins... He is nothing... a third liner at best.

You have to remember that without the Sedins Burr was totally awesome at his 3rd line roll and we we completely satisfied with him.

Far from "nothing"

Line 1,2 or 3 or 4 do not always indicate level of talent. A role is a role and if you are in a 3rd line role and play it supremely, you may be better than a top 6er ... really.

I don't care how unpopular this makes me, but Burrows is the most overrated player on the Canucks, here's why:

1) He needs both the Sedins to be able to contribute

2) If you pay close attention to him, he makes a lot of poor plays

3) When playing with the Sedins he becomes over confident and tries to make plays as if hes an all-star

He's a good player, don't get me wrong, but he should be on the third line. The only thing that he's got going for him is that he is a great defensive player WHEN HE WANTS TO BE, when he's playing with the Sedins he'll be all over the place at times. He knows how to play with the Sedins, but that doesn't make him a good player and everyone on here seems to think he is one of our best players. Flame me all you want, I'm expecting it but at least watch him closely next game and you'll see what I'm talking about.

So you're saying that he needs both Sedins to be able to contribute... okay, fair enough. But to solve this, we put him on the third line?

No, I'm saying he should be on the third line, there are players with more overall skill that should be on the top line, ex. Sammuelson (sp?)

Edit: Just to clarify, he is a top 9 player not top 3, he doesn't have the skills to play top 3.

Edited by Persian

I don't care how unpopular this makes me, but Burrows is the most overrated player on the Canucks, here's why:

1) He needs both the Sedins to be able to contribute

2) If you pay close attention to him, he makes a lot of poor plays

3) When playing with the Sedins he becomes over confident and tries to make plays as if hes an all-star

He's a good player, don't get me wrong, but he should be on the third line. The only thing that he's got going for him is that he is a great defensive player WHEN HE WANTS TO BE, when he's playing with the Sedins he'll be all over the place at times. He knows how to play with the Sedins, but that doesn't make him a good player and everyone on here seems to think he is one of our best players. Flame me all you want, I'm expecting it but at least watch him closely next game and you'll see what I'm talking about.

1) Yes. I'll be the first one to say that I will not deny this at all. He'll put up 30p alone, he's skilled and hard working enough for that, but he's simply the best winger to play with the Sedins since Anson Carter. If he works, who cares about his skill level? I care about PRODUCTION, and the Sedins do better with him than anyone else they've played with.

2) If you pay close enough attention to anyone, you'll likely find their flaws.

3) Confidence? You want to talk about confidence? Look all around you. There's a reason he's confident.. he's producing.

The point of our first line, the line he is on, is that it's aimed at scoring goals.. so Burrows puts his full out effort to score those goals because he doesn't have the talent to half-donkey it in the offensive zone. That tires him, so he may dog it in the defensive zone some time.. but we're not asking him to shutdown, we're asking him to help the Sedins produce. He's not one of our best players.. who calls him that? I peg him behind Kesler, Luongo, the Sedins, Demitra, Ehrhoff, and Mitchell (not in any order).. so he's about tenth best?

Only on CDC would producing beyond your ability, work ethic, and confidence be bad things.

No, I'm saying he should be on the third line, there are players with more overall skill that should be on the top line, ex. Sammuelson (sp?)

Edit: Just to clarify, he is a top 9 player not top 3, he doesn't have the skills to play top 3

Only on CDC would skill be a greater factor in determining what line a player is on than chemistry.

So a 60p forward who gets his points off work ethic < a 50p forward who gets his points off of skill? How do you justify bumping a guy down, despite his production, because he isn't "skilled enough?"

Edited by AmazingNuck
  • Upvote 1

1) Yes. I'll be the first one to say that I will not deny this at all. He'll put up 30p alone, he's skilled and hard working enough for that, but he's simply the best winger to play with the Sedins since Anson Carter. If he works, who cares about his skill level? I care about PRODUCTION, and the Sedins do better with him than anyone else they've played with.

2) If you pay close enough attention to anyone, you'll likely find their flaws.

3) Confidence? You want to talk about confidence? Look all around you. There's a reason he's confident.. he's producing.

The point of our first line, the line he is on, is that it's aimed at scoring goals.. so Burrows puts his full out effort to score those goals because he doesn't have the talent to half-donkey it in the offensive zone. That tires him, so he may dog it in the defensive zone some time.. but we're not asking him to shutdown, we're asking him to help the Sedins produce. He's not one of our best players.. who calls him that? I peg him behind Kesler, Luongo, the Sedins, Demitra, Ehrhoff, and Mitchell (not in any order).. so he's about tenth best?

Only on CDC would producing beyond your ability, work ethic, and confidence be bad things.

It's a bad thing because he's getting credit for being a top player when he's not. Producing is great for him, he'll get a fatter contract every time, but you said it your self you care about production so if you put a better player on the line, and the better player produces more, that's better right? all I'm saying is that players with more skills should be given a chance to play on that line. And as far as him being on a scoring line, is Kesler not on a scoring line? how come his defense coverage hasn't changed?

And I don't feel like quoting the part you just edited so I'll answer it without a quote. A skilled player that hasn't played with the top guys that produces 50p is likely to produce more on the top line, who by the way play a style of hockey more suitable for Sammuleson.

Edited by Persian

It's a bad thing because he's getting credit for being a top player when he's not. Producing is great for him, he'll get a fatter contract every time, but you said it your self you care about production so if you put a better player on the line, and the better player produces more, that's better right? all I'm saying is that players with more skills should be given a chance to play on that line. And as far as him being on a scoring line, is Kesler not on a scoring line? how come his defense coverage hasn't changed?

And I don't feel like quoting the part you just edited so I'll answer it without a quote. A skilled player that hasn't played with the top guys that produces 50p is likely to produce more on the top line, who by the way play a style of hockey more suitable for Sammuleson.

I dont have the patience to point out all your flaws like the other guy, but the points you are trying to make are horrible.