The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

With Daniel back people are going to start ripping Burrows a lot less. There were shoes too large for Burrows to fill as the second Sedin, AND the agitator at the same time. Now he takes position, moves fast, and forechecks well. He greatly helps the Sedins' cause when they are BOTH on the ice with him.

With Daniel back people are going to start ripping Burrows a lot less. There were shoes too large for Burrows to fill as the second Sedin, AND the agitator at the same time. Now he takes position, moves fast, and forechecks well. He greatly helps the Sedins' cause when they are BOTH on the ice with him.

Anyone ripping Burrows or accusing the Canucks of try to replace Daniel with Burrows is an idiot anyways. Why bother listening to him/her? No one in his right mind thinks Burrs is a superstar first liner. Not even Burrs, look at the contract he just signed. Bottomline though, he works well with the twins and he's the 2nd most successful player to play on that line. The twins may not need him but he sure does mean more than 20 goals for the Canucks.

*sigh*

My contention is no coach in the league would choose Burrows to build a first line around. He is a first line player on THIS team because of his chemistry with the Sedins. His even strength ice time increased by one minute per game when he was put with the Sedins. ONE minute. Yet look at the difference in his production. Chemistry can't always be explained. But he certainly has it with the Sedins. If he is truly a first line player in his own right why doesn't he play the PP?

I'm not knocking Burrows I love the way the kid plays. But he doesn't have the skills to carry a top line. The Sedins don't need Burrows and they've proven it. Can the reverse be said?

"Build a line around" and "first line player" are two different things. Luckily, you've covered both bases.

The "Sedins" are two players. Henrik showed as long as he is on the first line he can put up numbers. I've never seen Daniel do it, so who knows. There are 90 first liners in the league (for simplicity). Burrows has shown he is in that top 90. That = 1st liner.

Bernier must be a 1st liner. He's on the PP and all.

"Build a line around" and "first line player" are two different things. Luckily, you've covered both bases.

The "Sedins" are two players. Henrik showed as long as he is on the first line he can put up numbers. I've never seen Daniel do it, so who knows. There are 90 first liners in the league (for simplicity). Burrows has shown he is in that top 90. That = 1st liner.

Bernier must be a 1st liner. He's on the PP and all.

Nice cheap shot on Bernier. He was on the first line in November, wasn't he?

I understand that Burrows is kind of old and not very talented, but he's obviously very comfortable playing with the Sedins. It's worked in the past and it's working again, so it's clearly no fluke (that Burrows clicks with the twins). The one danger is that he'll have almost no productivity on another line or the powerplay, as he tends to crash the net often.

Nice cheap shot on Bernier. He was on the first line in November, wasn't he?

I understand that Burrows is kind of old and not very talented, but he's obviously very comfortable playing with the Sedins. It's worked in the past and it's working again, so it's clearly no fluke (that Burrows clicks with the twins). The one danger is that he'll have almost no productivity on another line or the powerplay, as he tends to crash the net often.

Whaaa?

Sundin is kind of old. Matthieu Schneider is kind of old. Maybe you think the Sedins are old, too? They're older.

Talent, you say? You can make up for an awful lot of talent with drive and energy...Burrows has that, for sure. And some talent, to boot.

But of course, "Do we really want him?"

*cough*

Geez, that line has legs, eh?

Edited by puck.on.net

I think it's funny that the last couple pages of this thread have seen many people saying that Burrows is only good with the Sedins. While this may be true, who cares? Just play him with the Sedins!

Facepalm at the logic. "Burrows is only good with the Sedins. So we should take him off of the first line."

Um... ok. Do we want him to be bad? We've locked him up for years at 2 mill, a deal he took because he knows who he is. If he scores like he has been scoring with the Sedins for TWO MILL A YEAR there is no problem.

And who has been better with the Sedins? Nobody. And don't you dare say Anson Carter; he just stood in front of the net and let stuff bounce off of him. In the new NHL, you need a Burrows on your line.

We're lucky to have him.

Great game tonight by the EPIC first line of the Canucks.

I know allot of people are going to scorch me for this but I fail to see the reason why nobody questions his ability to play in the nhl. Every game i watch with him in the lineup(all of them) I find myself screaming at the tv because of the stupid stuff the guy does. Personally i'd rather have any of the guys that are fighting for a spot on the team rather than burrows. Everyone's #1 reason they like this guy from what I read on this forum "He's great on the pk. Who cares! Anyone can do this thats fighting for a spot. He can't score and i'm tired of kesler carrying this guy on his back night after night, I'm tired of him losing the puck, falling down everywhere seriously this guy falls down a hundred times a night can't he skate its ridiculous, stupid penalties its endless. "He plays with grit" is another common description tossed out when his name comes up. That ok sure he pisses off guys but fails to do really be able finish that job off by being able to fight because he can't. IMOP he's an embarrassment to the team. Please Gillis let this guy go keep Krog or Pettinger or Brown whoever. let er rip.

WHATS WRONG WITH YOU