The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

This is one thing about the episode that bothered me...

Everyone is using the name "Ser Gregor", instead of "Robert Strong". There was supposed to be a bit of mystery surrounding Cersei's new personal guard, but D & D have totally done away with it. Do they not believe that non book readers are smart enough to figure this out?

It's one thing about the series that sometimes gets my goat. This playing to the lowest common denominator all the time.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

This is one thing about the episode that bothered me...

Everyone is using the name "Ser Gregor", instead of "Robert Strong". There was supposed to be a bit of mystery surrounding Cersei's new personal guard, but D & D have totally done away with it. Do they not believe that non book readers are smart enough to figure this out?

It's one thing about the series that sometimes gets my goat. This playing to the lowest common denominator all the time.

Some things are not difficult to pull off visually. Having a guy that size magically appear is silly. Especially when the audience already knows they were trying to bring him back to life.

In a book when you can afford to have more time/content pass or you're using written descriptions it might make sense. On the show introducing him as a new character would be silly.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, taxi said:

Some things are not difficult to pull off visually. Having a guy that size magically appear is silly. Especially when the audience already knows they were trying to bring him back to life.

In a book when you can afford to have more time/content pass or you're using written descriptions it might make sense. On the show introducing him as a new character would be silly.

You're missing my point. Certainly the audience would be able to guess who Ser Strong was, but it shouldn't be obvious to the show's characters. In the books, he does "appear magically" and there is much speculation as to who this giant new Queensguard is. 

Bear in mind, re-animation is well known to us spectators, but it isn't supposed to be common knowledge among the citizens of KL, nor was it public knowledge that Qyburn was "experimenting" with Gregor's body.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

You're missing my point. Certainly the audience would be able to guess who Ser Strong was, but it shouldn't be obvious to the show's characters. In the books, he does "appear magically" and there is much speculation as to who this giant new Queensguard is. 

Bear in mind, re-animation is well known to us spectators, but it isn't supposed to be common knowledge among the citizens of KL, nor was it public knowledge that Qyburn was "experimenting" with Gregor's body.

Yeah. D&D's worries over 'confusing' us just dumps this show down a notch.

Just now, Hugor Hill said:

Yeah. D&D's worries over 'confusing' us just dumps this show down a notch.

It's like changing Asha's name to Yara. Really guys? You don't think we'd be able to differentiate between a former Wildling, who helps Bran and Rickon escape from Theon and Theon's sister, who never shares even a second of screen time with her?

34 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

My point is that certain things just don't translate well onto the screen. It's not about whether the audience was confused with this. Having him appear as "Robert Strong" on screen, would just look kind of dumb. It would be like a Superman/Clark Kent deal with the glasses. It doesn't add anything to the plot, as the audience is aware of the ruse. It just seems unbelievable and makes the other characters look dumb.

Certain things just work well in writing that don't translate onto the screen. D&D made the decision that this was one of them, and I agree. I don't think it has anything to do with dumbing it down for the audience.

49 minutes ago, taxi said:

My point is that certain things just don't translate well onto the screen. It's not about whether the audience was confused with this. Having him appear as "Robert Strong" on screen, would just look kind of dumb. It would be like a Superman/Clark Kent deal with the glasses. It doesn't add anything to the plot, as the audience is aware of the ruse. It just seems unbelievable and makes the other characters look dumb.

Certain things just work well in writing that don't translate onto the screen. D&D made the decision that this was one of them, and I agree. I don't think it has anything to do with dumbing it down for the audience.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. I think it makes sense for the characters to be unaware of Ser Robert's true identity, exactly as it is in the books.

IMO, it looks more "dumb" to have Ser Gregor magically reappear among the living.

10 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. I think it makes sense for the characters to be unaware of Ser Robert's true identity, exactly as it is in the books.

IMO, it looks more "dumb" to have Ser Gregor magically reappear among the living.

Not everyone was aware that he was dead. He appeared victorious after the trial by combat. He was then rushed to the doctor, where he died of the poisoning. For the majority of people, he wouldn't appear dead and then be revived. Qyburn wasn't advertising that he was dead or that he was experimenting on him.

Edit: Also, Ser Gregor never actually dies. He's just at the point of death when Qyburn starts experimenting on him. We also don't know his mental state right now. He appears to be responsive and aware, but also lobotomized somehow.

Edited by taxi

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't follow...

Qyburn the dude who brought Ser Gregor back...

They made reference to it again in last night's episode. So it's not like the Ser Gregor came back to life magically by himself.

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's like changing Asha's name to Yara. Really guys? You don't think we'd be able to differentiate between a former Wildling, who helps Bran and Rickon escape from Theon and Theon's sister, who never shares even a second of screen time with her?

Well if they 'dumbed it down' for people like me I say thanks because I have a hard time keeping track of everyone.  Like those two women you mentioned, everyone at castle black besides Olly Sam and Thorne, the ginger wildling, the guy riding with Jorah, etc.

I need a flow chart to keep up with all the characters on this show:

6c666b7378671aa5ddf5d91abb9085fc.jpg

13 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

Qyburn the dude who brought Ser Gregor back...

They made reference to it again in last night's episode. So it's not like the Ser Gregor came back to life magically by himself.

I'm well aware that Qyburn brought him back. I just don't see how it's pertinent, since none of the show's characters (other than Cersei and Qyburn himself) were aware of the fact.

To the average citizen of KL, Gregor would seem to have made a miraculous recovery.

17 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm well aware that Qyburn brought him back. I just don't see how it's pertinent, since none of the show's characters (other than Cersei and Qyburn himself) were aware of the fact.

To the average citizen of KL, Gregor would seem to have made a miraculous recovery.

Miraculous recover....well except for the fact there is clearly something grotesquely wrong with him.

• Upvote 1

i liked last night's episode a lot more than the previous two - esp. the parts with bran, who has suddenly become one of the most interesting characters for me. especially with max von sydow in there. dude's an absolute legend

i have literally no interest in the danerys (sp) plot right now, so last nights episode, like the middle 10-15 minutes, was a bit sluggish for me when i just kept wondering what was going on elsewhere

can someone tell me who the guy was at the head of the table that Cersei crashed, with the man sh-tting his pants? she refers to him as uncle, but I don't remember who he is, or of what relation he is to the plot. Is that Tywin's brother?

i'm referring to the man who is first seen in the clip posted above by Tre Mac

Edited by GLASSJAW

12 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

can someone tell me who the guy was at the head of the table that Cersei crashed, with the man sh-tting his pants? she refers to him as uncle, but I don't remember who he is, or of what relation he is to the plot. Is that Tywin's brother?

i'm referring to the man who is first seen in the clip posted above by Tre Mac

That is indeed Tywin's younger brother, Kevan Lannister.  He's the father of Lancel Lannister, the idiot squire to Robert Baratheon who eventually joined the Faith Militant under the High Sparrow.

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Kevan_Lannister

Edited by Jai604